Author Topic: Can the Celtics waive their protection on the Laker pick?  (Read 10731 times)

Can the Celtics waive their protection on the Laker pick?
« on: April 12, 2018, 10:37:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Just in case a big they want is available where the Lakers pick.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:22:36 PM by Ogaju »

Re: Can the Celtics waive their protection on the Lakerpick
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:50:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
No.  I think it is allowed to make changes to the protection but both teams would have to agree to it. 

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 10:56:24 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
No.  I think it is allowed to make changes to the protection but both teams would have to agree to it.

Lakers ain't agreeing to anything the Celtics want LOL.

Either we really luck out with the pick conveying at 2-3, or we move on to Sacramento Kings.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:03:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Lakers ain't agreeing to anything the Celtics want LOL.

Either we really luck out with the pick conveying at 2-3, or we move on to Sacramento Kings.

The Lakers don’t have any rights to the pick. Any modification would be between Boston and Philly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Can the Celtics waive their protection on the Laker pick?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 11:56:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Sure, if the Sixers agreed. In which case they would keep Sac 2019 pick. Doubt they would agree though. Interesting question.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 12:12:26 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Sure, if the Sixers agreed. In which case they would keep Sac 2019 pick. Doubt they would agree though. Interesting question.

This is actually very interesting.  I didn't know that teams could alter the protection after finalizing a trade.  I guess the question is which pick is more valuable? 

The tank race was crowded this year, who knows if it will be quite this crazy next year.  Hard to see Sac improving a lot over the next year.  The griz pick in 2019 might be as good as the sac pick too.

There are a whole lot of variables with these upcoming picks.  It is really hard to know which picks to hang onto. 

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 12:34:36 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

This is actually very interesting.  I didn't know that teams could alter the protection after finalizing a trade.  I guess the question is which pick is more valuable? 

The tank race was crowded this year, who knows if it will be quite this crazy next year.  Hard to see Sac improving a lot over the next year.  The griz pick in 2019 might be as good as the sac pick too.

There are a whole lot of variables with these upcoming picks.  It is really hard to know which picks to hang onto.

Forgot we still have the Grizzlies' pick. Although it's 1-8 protected. And we also have Clippers' pick too. Wow we definitely mortgaged the future.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 12:35:38 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I would think that the Celtics should be able to waive the protection since it appears to have been placed for their benefit. The team with the protection should retain the option to waive it.....bad negotiating if Cs did not get that option. The 2-5 window may prove too tight in a loaded draft.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 12:49:03 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I would think that the Celtics should be able to waive the protection since it appears to have been placed for their benefit. The team with the protection should retain the option to waive it.....bad negotiating if Cs did not get that option. The 2-5 window may prove too tight in a loaded draft.
I honestly think I'd rather wait on the Kings pick than select 10th in this draft.

This draft is said to be top-heavy and the top is gone by 10.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 12:51:26 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I honestly think I'd rather wait on the Kings pick than select 10th in this draft.

What if the laker pick is 6 0r 7?

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 01:18:15 AM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

What if the laker pick is 6 0r 7?
Not possible.

Lotto only determines picks 1-3.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 01:44:49 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Almost positive that once terms of a trade have been submitted to the league office, the terms are final and complete. The only way the C's could change the terms of the trade would be to create another trade that changes the terms of the first trade.

So Boston and Philly would have to complete a trade where if the Lakers pick doesn't convey to Boston based on the terms of the original trade, the pick would convey to Boston no matter where the pick lands in exchange for....

What that exchange is would be important. My guess is it wouldn't be for just swapping the 2018 conveyance for the 2019 Sac. conveyance. Gotta remember, the Sixers could still end up with the 1st pick this year and the first pick next year. Gonna take a lot to have them give up that chance for the Cs to get the LA pick this year.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 01:50:14 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I would be livid if the Celtics gave up their kings pick to pick 10th this year

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 02:03:11 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I know it's different, but the Blazers agreed to take the 2017 Cavs 1st instead of the 2018 one so that the Cavs could send their 2019 1st to Atlanta in the Korver trade.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 02:10:33 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Of course they could. It’s called trading our Kings pick to Philly for their Lakers pick. Nothing stopping that if Philly wanted the deal.