Celtics Basketball > Celtics Talk

How do the NBA salary cap rules really work?

(1/25) > >>

nickagneta:
I have noticed more and more that many fans here don't understand how the salary cap really works and many posters have to be told that what they are proposing just won't work.

The salary cap doesn't work by being able to get rid of salary and then replacing that salary with that salary slot.

The salary cap doesn't work by just looking at a salary breakout chart on the internet and if it looks like a team is under the cap that that is the number available.

There is a bunch that goes into figuring out exactly how much cap space you have or don't have. And, of course, a lot goes into making trades work because of salary.

What I did is I took some time and read this:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

This site is tremendous for learning this part of basketball and giving a complete understanding of how all things salary in the NBA works.

No, you don't have to read it all, to have a much better understanding of things. But there are some sections that would really benefit many here.

I highly recommend giving some or all of this a read

Also, this thread can be used to ask questions about the cap so if you have them and don't want to read about it post you questions here and if I or anyone else can answer them, we will.

gouki88:
The CBA FAQ site is very handy.

As is Saltlover ;) hope salty (Mike Zarren) isn't too stressed right now

jambr380:
In the past I have spent quite a bit of time on that site. It really is quite comprehensive. I think it may be helpful to point posters to a couple of sections or post them here (in separate posts); there is no way you can expect fans of any team to learn and understand all of the intricacies of the NBA salary cap. Also, this is definitely the type of thread that should be 'thumbtacked' (or whatever it is). Too often these threads go by the wayside over time.

Note: I don't think this is directed at me, but I do still fully believe that the Cs could open up enough money for a max contract if Kyrie and Horford left and we let all of our FAs walk. I understand the cap holds on rookie contracts, but trading those picks for future picks would seemingly be pretty easy if we needed the cap space for said max FA.

EDIT: I just re-visited the site and realized that many of the sections are WAY too long to post here - so never mind on that point.

Somebody:
I'm aware of the fact that cap space isn't created by getting rid of a salary slot, but what's our payroll atm, and how can we open up a max slot? I guess trading Hayward for pure cap relief and renouncing Kyrie while signing Horford to a Duncanesque deal would do it, but I not sure.

jambr380:

--- Quote from: Somebody on May 12, 2019, 12:38:01 PM ---I'm aware of the fact that cap space isn't created by getting rid of a salary slot, but what's our payroll atm, and how can we open up a max slot? I guess trading Hayward for pure cap relief and renouncing Kyrie while signing Horford to a Duncanesque deal would do it, but I not sure.

--- End quote ---

I just pulled this from another post I had. It is just a rough estimate, but should give you some idea of where we are at. Remember, there are also cap holds for rookies (currently at about $7M) and for any empty roster spots (two spots at $1.8M). The cap is currently projected to be at about $109M and Horford would represent another $30M if he were to pick up his player option.

--- Quote ---Perhaps we need another thread on this, but I just want to understand better what we would have left if Kyrie and Horford left and we renounced all of our FAs. By my calculations from Spotrac, we would have $66.3M tied up in players currently under contract.

Hayward - $32.7M
Smart - $12.6M
Tatum - $7.8M
Brown - $6.5M
Yabusele - $3.1M
Williams - $2.0M
Ojeleye - $1.6M

I realize that is only 7 players so draft picks and cap holds would take effect to increase that $66.3M number. Heck, Baynes could opt in and push it up to $71.8M.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version