Author Topic: NBA 2020-2021 Season Thread  (Read 207793 times)

Re: NBA 2020-2021 Season Thread
« Reply #675 on: February 21, 2021, 09:50:54 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Watching Nets / Clips to see what the big boys are doing.

Hate to say it, but the Nets are going to the finals. I was hoping they would have chemistry issues, but Nash and D’Antoni seem to be doing a really good job managing the Nets roster. Their bench is thin right now, but they will probably pick up a player once the buyouts start. At that point, the Nets will be as talented as GS was a few years back.

Sure looks like it.
With the way they play defence I don't think so

They seem to step their defense up when they play quality opponents. D looks pretty [dang] good tonight.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #676 on: February 21, 2021, 10:31:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hate to say it, but the Nets are going to the finals. I was hoping they would have chemistry issues, but Nash and D’Antoni seem to be doing a really good job managing the Nets roster. Their bench is thin right now, but they will probably pick up a player once the buyouts start. At that point, the Nets will be as talented as GS was a few years back.

Sure looks like it.

They seem to step their defense up when they play quality opponents. D looks pretty [dang] good tonight.
I dunno, they've conceded 120 points to Philly, Milwaukee, Miami, LAC, Toronto and Phoenix all in the last month. Those are solid teams
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #677 on: February 21, 2021, 10:32:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Refs screw the Clips at the end of the game. NBA is Fantastic!!!!!

Harden with the flop at the end, classic!

« Reply #678 on: February 21, 2021, 10:46:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Sure looks like it.

I dunno, they've conceded 120 points to Philly, Milwaukee, Miami, LAC, Toronto and Phoenix all in the last month. Those are solid teams

How’d they look against the Lakers a few days ago? They don’t even need to be good, just average and no one will be able to stop them. This month they’ve now beaten the Clippers twice and the Lakers once. KD didn’t even play today.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #679 on: February 21, 2021, 11:28:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
I think the league is just top-heavy this year. MIL, BKN, PHI, LAC, LAL. One of those teams will win it all. Respect teams like Utah, Portland, Indiana, etc. but I think we all know they'll fizzle out in the postseason to a team with more talent unless they suffer multiple star injuries.

The East in particular though has three contenders, followed by about 8-10 mediocre/average teams (including the C's). I mean the gap between the 4 seed and the 12 seed in the East is legit just 3 games LOL

Like as bad as they've been, Washington is only 3 games back of an 8 seed. And sadly despite all that the C's find themselves at .500 and reeling too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #680 on: February 21, 2021, 11:43:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Sure looks like it.

How’d they look against the Lakers a few days ago? They don’t even need to be good, just average and no one will be able to stop them. This month they’ve now beaten the Clippers twice and the Lakers once. KD didn’t even play today.
The Lakers without AD?

« Reply #681 on: February 21, 2021, 11:44:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Kings lose 7 in a row.

Barnes DNPCD

Tick tick.

« Reply #682 on: February 21, 2021, 11:49:34 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Sure looks like it.

The Lakers without AD?

The Nets without KD?

« Reply #683 on: February 21, 2021, 11:51:30 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Lakers are average without Davis
For all the LeBron MVP talk that exists, Davis is more important to that Lakers team than LeBron. Its go to make it hard for voters to gift their vote to LeBron when they see the team go .500 in Davis' absence.
Would the Lakers be better with AD but without LeBron?

I don't think so. I reckon they would be worse.
But they'd still be decent - which is impressive when you consider that the Lakers supporting cast is built to scale around LeBron rather than Davis. Also I don't think that floor raising is the only thing that's important in how good a player is, AD bumps up teams that are decent or good considerably more than LeBron.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #684 on: February 21, 2021, 11:58:30 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'd just like to point out that the Lakers in Lebron's first year were a bad team that finished 37-45

Lebron is the most important member on the Lakers, but AD is no scrub either especially on the defensive end. Without him, LAL looks average and beatable even with LBJ.

I think it's more of a testament to what having two top 5 players can do for you. Because it's not like the Lakers are a masterclass in roster construction - last year, it was like the island of misfit toys with guys that the league has written off like Rondo and D.Howard making significant contributions to a championship run. This year, the roster is bit better but it's still not anything to write home about beyond AD and Lebron.
Absolutely, but those "misfit toys" also deserve a ton of credit - Howard looked like a homeless man's Tyson Chandler before the bubble, Avery Bradley had a renaissance, etc. They went from playing themselves out of the league into legitimate 20MPG role players who could surround LeBron/Davis with defence, shooting, finishing and even some occasional quick-burst scoring.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #685 on: February 22, 2021, 02:31:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Sure looks like it.

The Lakers without AD?

The Nets without KD?
Not really the same though is it. The Nets without KD still have a top-10 player and a top-15 player. Lakers without AD have one top-5 player and a whole bunch of role players

« Reply #686 on: February 22, 2021, 05:05:06 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I think the league is just top-heavy this year. MIL, BKN, PHI, LAC, LAL. One of those teams will win it all. Respect teams like Utah, Portland, Indiana, etc. but I think we all know they'll fizzle out in the postseason to a team with more talent unless they suffer multiple star injuries.

The East in particular though has three contenders, followed by about 8-10 mediocre/average teams (including the C's). I mean the gap between the 4 seed and the 12 seed in the East is legit just 3 games LOL

Like as bad as they've been, Washington is only 3 games back of an 8 seed. And sadly despite all that the C's find themselves at .500 and reeling too.

I don't think Philadelphia is in that group. For me the other 4 teams are most likely going to determine who wins the Championship.

Favorites: Brooklyn, LA Lakers, Milwaukee, LA Clippers
Outsiders: Utah, Denver, Philadelphia, Portland
Competitive: Boston, Miami, Dallas, Toronto, Phoenix, Golden State, Indiana

« Reply #687 on: February 22, 2021, 07:21:40 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
In the East, it’s Brooklyn and no one else..I just don’t see no one beating them unless one of the top 3 get hurt..Milwaukee are not the same team as they was the last 2 years.

In the West it’s Lakers, Jazz, & Clippers..if Davis can’t return, they done..trade deadline will be interested to see if those teams get more help..Portland, if healthy, can win West also
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #688 on: February 22, 2021, 08:32:45 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I'd just like to point out that the Lakers in Lebron's first year were a bad team that finished 37-45

Lebron is the most important member on the Lakers, but AD is no scrub either especially on the defensive end. Without him, LAL looks average and beatable even with LBJ.

I think it's more of a testament to what having two top 5 players can do for you. Because it's not like the Lakers are a masterclass in roster construction - last year, it was like the island of misfit toys with guys that the league has written off like Rondo and D.Howard making significant contributions to a championship run. This year, the roster is bit better but it's still not anything to write home about beyond AD and Lebron.
Absolutely, but those "misfit toys" also deserve a ton of credit - Howard looked like a homeless man's Tyson Chandler before the bubble, Avery Bradley had a renaissance, etc. They went from playing themselves out of the league into legitimate 20MPG role players who could surround LeBron/Davis with defence, shooting, finishing and even some occasional quick-burst scoring.
Bradley?  Bradley opted out of the bubble and playoffs last season. 

« Reply #689 on: February 22, 2021, 10:15:47 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Sure looks like it.

The Lakers without AD?

The Nets without KD?
Not really the same though is it. The Nets without KD still have a top-10 player and a top-15 player. Lakers without AD have one top-5 player and a whole bunch of role players

Right, so the Lakers are outmatched, even with AD. Clippers are the best team in the West and they lost to Brooklyn twice this month. Unless the Nets have injury problems or Kyrie goes off the reservation again, I don’t see anyone beating them. No one can compete with a starting lineup of Irving, Harden, Harris, Durant, Jordan.