Author Topic: NBA 2020-2021 Season Thread  (Read 208000 times)

Re: NBA 2020-2021 Season Thread
« Reply #750 on: March 04, 2021, 10:01:07 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Embiid is having an unreal season. If he can stay healthy then watch out!

Still got Jokic as my MVP, but Embiid is doing pretty well!
Its funny how 5 years ago the center position was thought of as dead.  So much so that it gets removed from the all-star ballot.  Now the top 2 MVP candidates are centers.  Embiid is a much better defender than Jokic so I think that should give him the MVP edge assuming he stays healthy.
I think Jokic has been really solid defensively this year, and on Embiid's level.
I have no idea how to rate Jokic on offence this season - is he 'merely' having a GOAT offensive big man season ala Dirk/Shaq, or is he approaching the perimeter ATGs/GOATs on that end? If it's the latter I would have him over Embiid, if it's the former I think they are both around the same level.

Statistically Jokic is so far and away the best player this season. It's simply ridiculous what he's doing.
He's on his way to the elite select company of big men like Olajuwon and O'Neal.

An unstoppable center that elevates the whole team to great heights. Remember how close the Nuggets came to turning that series against the Lakers around purely based on amazing clutch plays by the Joker.
Which series?  Lakers beat Nugs 4-1 in the WCF last season. 

« Reply #751 on: March 04, 2021, 05:32:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Its funny how 5 years ago the center position was thought of as dead.  So much so that it gets removed from the all-star ballot.  Now the top 2 MVP candidates are centers.  Embiid is a much better defender than Jokic so I think that should give him the MVP edge assuming he stays healthy.
I think Jokic has been really solid defensively this year, and on Embiid's level.
I have no idea how to rate Jokic on offence this season - is he 'merely' having a GOAT offensive big man season ala Dirk/Shaq, or is he approaching the perimeter ATGs/GOATs on that end? If it's the latter I would have him over Embiid, if it's the former I think they are both around the same level.
Yeah, I have no idea either really. I feel like it might be the latter come seasons end. His stamina is up, his 3 point shooting and general efficiency is up, his defence is improved, he's actually turning it over less despite his increased offensive load. Basically everything he could have improved upon is up.

I'd say if he can maintain this for the whole season I would put this season up there with most, if not all big men.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #752 on: March 04, 2021, 09:28:33 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
wizards about to beat the clips, they've had a few impressive wins

« Reply #753 on: March 05, 2021, 07:55:44 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Enes Katner with 22 points & 21 rebounds last night..he been doing great this season..I alway said that Stevens did not use him right when he was here
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #754 on: March 05, 2021, 09:37:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Yeah, I have no idea either really. I feel like it might be the latter come seasons end. His stamina is up, his 3 point shooting and general efficiency is up, his defence is improved, he's actually turning it over less despite his increased offensive load. Basically everything he could have improved upon is up.

I'd say if he can maintain this for the whole season I would put this season up there with most, if not all big men.
Now that Denver has started to win again, I think Jokic has definitely moved into contention.  It is a really interesting 4 person race for MVP thus far this year with Embiid, Jokic, James, and Harden.  I don't think enough people would vote for Harden since he quit on Houston this year, but what he has done in Brooklyn would be worthy.  James is once again putting together a great season and keeping LA near the top of the conference with AD missing so much time.  The Sixers are unbelievable with Embiid playing, but he has missed 6 games already (the other guys haven't missed a game).  If Embiid doesn't miss too many more games, I think he is probably the MVP to this point, but what Jokic is doing is amazing.  He has a real shot at both averaging a triple double and getting the mythical 50/40/90.  Incredible. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #755 on: March 05, 2021, 02:15:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #756 on: March 05, 2021, 03:04:18 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Enes Katner with 22 points & 21 rebounds last night..he been doing great this season..I alway said that Stevens did not use him right when he was here

Clearly Stevens is the problem and not the players lol. Misusing players for their talents.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #757 on: March 05, 2021, 03:15:28 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Clearly Stevens is the problem and not the players lol. Misusing players for their talents.

It had nothing to do with Kanter hurting his back every third week, of course.

« Reply #758 on: March 05, 2021, 04:21:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2934674-pj-tucker-rumors-76ers-expected-to-acquire-rockets-wing-via-trade-or-buyout

P.J. Tucker Rumors: 76ers Expected to Acquire Rockets Wing via Trade or Buyout

That would be a big pickup for Philly. Reinforce their depth. Give them a 3 forward rotation of Ben Simmons, Tobias Harris and PJ Tucker. That is a very strong rotation.

« Reply #759 on: March 10, 2021, 09:06:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
What's wrong with Beal tonight?

« Reply #760 on: March 10, 2021, 09:11:41 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

He doesn’t fit the Beal tonight?

« Reply #761 on: March 10, 2021, 09:15:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

He doesn’t fit the Beal tonight?

Doin' it from the line....

« Reply #762 on: March 13, 2021, 01:49:39 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.phillyvoice.com/joel-embiid-latest-injury-news-update-mri-left-knee-injury-wizards-game-doc-rivers/amp/

Embiid with potentially scary injury. Nothing is certain on who will be healthy going into the playoffs. Hope he is ok as he has been a beast this year but no Embiid and No chance for Doc.

« Reply #763 on: March 13, 2021, 01:55:04 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.phillyvoice.com/joel-embiid-latest-injury-news-update-mri-left-knee-injury-wizards-game-doc-rivers/amp/

Embiid with potentially scary injury. Nothing is certain on who will be healthy going into the playoffs. Hope he is ok as he has been a beast this year but no Embiid and No chance for Doc.

The East still goes through Brooklyn.

But the team that was poised to stop them best...too bad, Embiid with a potential scary injury.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #764 on: March 13, 2021, 08:52:45 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

The East still goes through Brooklyn.

But the team that was poised to stop them best...too bad, Embiid with a potential scary injury.
Per Woj and Ramona Shelburne:   Philadelphia Sixers star Joel Embiid's MRI showed no structural damage to his left knee, just a bone bruise. ACL and meniscus are fine. No timeline yet on a return.  Could miss 2 weeks.