Author Topic: What do you want Danny to do?  (Read 7425 times)

Re: What do you want Danny to do?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 11:13:06 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
It's true that the Celtics need better 3 point shooters, but my top wish is for a solid starting center.

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I believe we need to trade Rondo to start fresh.  Rondo isn't a great fit with our team and really does need better scorers around him to mask his offensive struggles.  In addition his matador defence is really becoming an issue over the past few years.  He's vastly overrated defensively.

Trade him for a lottery pick and contract filler to the Kings, or the Lakers and a good young player and an expiring.

Then we draft our 2 Lotto picks and 17th pick and go from there.  I really think we will struggle this year and likely be in the lottery again. 

Come 2015 we'll have tons of cap-space and a nice Brooklyn first rounder.

Say we draft for example: Exum, Vonleh and PJ Hairston this year

Next year we go after some free agents and add some new picks.   

Unless we somehow get a start like Anthony or Love this offseason we really should cut ties with Rondo!

Welcome to the Reality Club per Rondo. Agree entirely with your thoughts on him.

Personally, I'd add him to any Love package, and try to get Rubio back in return, understanding that the offense and rebounding I gain with Love FAR outweighs what I lose trading Rondo.

As for what Ainge should do: Move as quickly as possible to get this team back in the playoff and title race. You do NOT have five years to embark on the painstaking draft-only rebuilds that seem to be so popular here, and given his spotty draft record that is CLEARLY not a viable course of action.

Draft at 1 through 3, trade the pick if it's lower for more immediate help. NO long-term projects or problem childs, such as Exum, Vonleh or Marcus Smart.

Draft a rebounder or a perimeter-shooting cornerman later in the first round, or trade the pick.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Parker and Wiggins are not going to be there ...I'm over it.

Draft For a center .....Embiid ....if not take Vonleh....we are in no hurry to rebuild...it's going to ve another three years min to contend without superstar help

Or

Draft for best player to help build a team

Exum ."....if not take Randle

If the luck goes bad and we pick 8 th......... Smart or Gordon.

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Be patient.

Don't make mistakes in a misguided attempt to compete next year.  Only make smart deals that moves the team forward. 
This. 

waiting it out another year will be painful for the 'immediate gratification' crowd but we'll be in a better position next offseason.  If some spectacular deals come up, great.  if not, don't make deals for the sake of making a deal.

If nothing else happens but the draft picks being added this year, next year our situation is basically:
- Rondo as a FA but can be resigned (would think this is pretty likely)
- KO and Sully have another year under their belts to have improved their games
- the 2 rookies have gotten some time to improve their games
- AB will only be here if he's on a reasonable deal
- Bass, Anthony and Fav come off the books
- Green and Wallace are going into the last years of their deals and could be good trade chips to use as salary balance in a big trade.

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 12:03:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I believe we need to trade Rondo to start fresh.  Rondo isn't a great fit with our team and really does need better scorers around him to mask his offensive struggles.  In addition his matador defence is really becoming an issue over the past few years.  He's vastly overrated defensively.

Trade him for a lottery pick and contract filler to the Kings, or the Lakers and a good young player and an expiring.

Then we draft our 2 Lotto picks and 17th pick and go from there.  I really think we will struggle this year and likely be in the lottery again. 

Unless we somehow get a start like Anthony or Love this offseason we really should cut ties with Rondo!

Welcome to the Reality Club per Rondo. Agree entirely with your thoughts on him.

Personally, I'd add him to any Love package, and try to get Rubio back in return, understanding that the offense and rebounding I gain with Love FAR outweighs what I lose trading Rondo.

As for what Ainge should do: Move as quickly as possible to get this team back in the playoff and title race. You do NOT have five years to embark on the painstaking draft-only rebuilds that seem to be so popular here, and given his spotty draft record that is CLEARLY not a viable course of action.

Draft at 1 through 3, trade the pick if it's lower for more immediate help. NO long-term projects or problem childs, such as Exum, Vonleh or Marcus Smart.

Draft a rebounder or a perimeter-shooting cornerman later in the first round, or trade the pick.

figures you'd agree.  So, exactly who on this team of top-flight talent doesn't Rondo fit with that you want to build around?  Green?  Bass? AB?  KO or Sully?  please.  rondo's the best player on the team.  We're loaded with role players on this team.  there's no one on this roster that's so good you'd have to move Rondo to fit with them better.  pure foolishness. 

Add on that you keep insisting on getting Rubio for him?  good lord.  Rubio sucks.  AND, you harp on Rondo's D but Love is a sieve at PF.  makes no logical sense.  If you bag Rondo for lack of D, bag on Love and Rubio too.  it all comes across as someone thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 12:31:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Find a three-point shooting wing who can back up both Green and Bradley.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 01:23:57 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Have people forgotten the years and years and years of mediocre to outright horrible pg's Boston suffered with between DJ and Rondo?

Mike

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

figures you'd agree.  So, exactly who on this team of top-flight talent doesn't Rondo fit with that you want to build around?  Green?  Bass? AB?  KO or Sully?  please.  rondo's the best player on the team.  We're loaded with role players on this team.  there's no one on this roster that's so good you'd have to move Rondo to fit with them better.  pure foolishness. 

Add on that you keep insisting on getting Rubio for him?  good lord.  Rubio sucks.  AND, you harp on Rondo's D but Love is a sieve at PF.  makes no logical sense.  If you bag Rondo for lack of D, bag on Love and Rubio too.  it all comes across as someone thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

Literally nothing you say above about Love and Rubio is true, so don't expect me to take any of this seriously.

As I don't take the habitual conflaters of an offensively-challenged, ball-pounding, lazy defending and highly disposable point guard seriously.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
gut the roster a little bit, keep Rondo, Sully and Kelly -  make more cap room

Hope we get a top 3 pick - choose pick

play out season

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Literally nothing you say above about Love and Rubio is true, so don't expect me to take any of this seriously.

As I don't take the habitual conflaters of an offensively-challenged, ball-pounding, lazy defending and highly disposable point guard seriously.

You're not watching enough Timberwolves games, then -- Rubio has been terrible all year. In fact, by any eye test or actual metric imaginable, he's been worse than Rondo. And I'm hardly one of Rondo's most ardent defenders on CB.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

You're not watching enough Timberwolves games, then -- Rubio has been terrible all year. In fact, by any eye test or actual metric imaginable, he's been worse than Rondo. And I'm hardly one of Rondo's most ardent defenders on CB.
exactly.  Rubio had a horrible season and he wasn't coming off of injury.  Love's a top scorer and rebounder but he's pedestrian at best on D. 

Rondo mailed it in on D this year but he's shown he can play top defense.  Love and Rubio, not yet.

Couldn't help but notice Coachbo with the name calling again when someone disagrees with him.  "habitual conflaters"?  please.  Rondo's got issues, not to the extent that some constantly harp on (mmmmm and others have put stats out in repeated threads bearing this out so kudos to them for the effort I'm not about to make here) but he's world's better than Rubio.  Bringing in Love without keeping Rondo is rather pointless.

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 02:59:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

exactly.  Rubio had a horrible season and he wasn't coming off of injury.  Love's a top scorer and rebounder but he's pedestrian at best on D. 

Rondo mailed it in on D this year but he's shown he can play top defense.  Love and Rubio, not yet.

Couldn't help but notice Coachbo with the name calling again when someone disagrees with him.  "habitual conflaters"?  please.  Rondo's got issues, not to the extent that some constantly harp on (mmmmm and others have put stats out in repeated threads bearing this out so kudos to them for the effort I'm not about to make here) but he's world's better than Rubio.  Bringing in Love without keeping Rondo is rather pointless.

100% agree.

What is the point of getting Rubio who is a poor man's Rondo, and couldn't shoot a basketball to save a fly? Rubio is also overrated on defense... I remember a poster on reddit tried to back up how effective Rubio was at stealing, but his stats were so inflated. Rubio basically gambles majority of the time...

If you think Rondo is terrible at defense now, look at how much worse Rubio would be..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
I don't care which of the following options he chooses as long as he chooses one of them.

1. Blow it up by trading Rondo, Bass, Green, etc. and acquiring younger players or draft picks.

or

2. Trade whatever young players and assets it takes to build a real legit contender around Rondo.  That of course means multiple moves, but do whatever it takes to get there.

The only I don't want is basically the status quo i.e. where we keep Rondo, Green, Bass, etc. and only add the draft picks and minor free agents.  I just don't see the point in that.

Agree completely with this. But from where I stand, option 2 seems less likely to happen than option 1. I don't think our assets are ripe enough to make a big move/s and form a contender.
I think Boston could legitimately do the following (not that I think it would happen, but they are realistic trades) and be a real contender.

Draft day (post pick) trade with Minnesota
Kevin Love, Corey Brewer for 2014 lottery pick, Bogans, Green, Sullinger, 2016 Nets

Free agency trade with New York
Carmelo Anthony (sign/trade) for 2015 Celtics, 2017 Celtics, 2018 Nets, Bradley (sign/trade), Bass, and salary filler as necessary (Anthony, Faverani, Johnson, Babb, Pressey, etc.)

Free agency trade with Houston
Asik for 2015 Clippers (absorb salary into trade exception)

Re-sign Humphries, Bayless

Post Trades lineup

PG - Rondo, Bayless
SG - Brewer, MLE F.A. or rookie at #17 (Kyle Anderson for example)
SF - Anthony, Wallace
PF - Love, Olynyk
C - Asik, Humphries

If that team stays healthy it is a very real contender (i.e. it has a real go to scorer in Melo, a real #2 scorer in Love, a rim protector in Asik, great rebounding from basically all 5 slots, and the defensive/passing PG to set it all up in Rondo), of course Boston has very little left in the way of assets, but I'd be ok with that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 03:13:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't care which of the following options he chooses as long as he chooses one of them.

1. Blow it up by trading Rondo, Bass, Green, etc. and acquiring younger players or draft picks.

or

2. Trade whatever young players and assets it takes to build a real legit contender around Rondo.  That of course means multiple moves, but do whatever it takes to get there.

The only I don't want is basically the status quo i.e. where we keep Rondo, Green, Bass, etc. and only add the draft picks and minor free agents.  I just don't see the point in that.

Agree completely with this. But from where I stand, option 2 seems less likely to happen than option 1. I don't think our assets are ripe enough to make a big move/s and form a contender.
I think Boston could legitimately do the following (not that I think it would happen, but they are realistic trades) and be a real contender.

Draft day (post pick) trade with Minnesota
Kevin Love, Corey Brewer for 2014 lottery pick, Bogans, Green, Sullinger, 2016 Nets

Free agency trade with New York
Carmelo Anthony (sign/trade) for 2015 Celtics, 2017 Celtics, 2018 Nets, Bradley (sign/trade), Bass, and salary filler as necessary (Anthony, Faverani, Johnson, Babb, Pressey, etc.)

Free agency trade with Houston

Re-sign Humphries, Bayless

Post Trades lineup

PG - Rondo, Bayless
SG - Brewer, MLE F.A. or rookie at #17 (Kyle Anderson for example)
SF - Anthony, Wallace
PF - Love, Olynyk
C - Asik, Humphries

If that team stays healthy it is a very real contender (i.e. it has a real go to scorer in Melo, a real #2 scorer in Love, a rim protector in Asik, great rebounding from basically all 5 slots, and the defensive/passing PG to set it all up in Rondo), of course Boston has very little left in the way of assets, but I'd be ok with that.

I would rather do something like this.

Bogans, Bass, Sully+ '14 lottery pick, Nets 2016 pick, and 2nd rounder for Love/Hummel.

Johnson, Bradley (sign and trade), Faverani, Green, 2015 Celtics, 2018 Nets, 2017 Celtics, for Carmelo Anthony/Cole Aldrich/Shumpert.

Resign Bayless/Humphries.

Sign Pierce for vet minimum.

Line up is
PG: Rondo/Pressey
SG: Shumpert/MLE FA/Wallace
SF: Melo/Pierce/Wallace
PF: Love/KO/Pierce
C: Asik/Adrich/Anthony
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561

hhmmnnnnnn
LET'S GO CELTICS!