Author Topic: Is Doc to blame for Rondo's non-aggressiveness?  (Read 7433 times)

Re: Is Doc to blame for Rondo's non-aggressiveness?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
 To me part of his problem is his best weapon has been all but taken away from  him.  He's one of if not the best open court PG in the NBA.  We don't rebound well enough, get to enough loose balls or cause enough turnovers to get into the open court with any consistency.  Even when we do no one is ever out in front of him.

We didn't fast break a whole lot in the past few years but we did get out in the open court more then we are now.

It's kind of like if you took the 3 point shot away from Ray Allen.  Rondo's bread and butter has been all but eliminated from the Celtic's due mostly to the age of the guys he plays most of his minutes with.

Yes, agree. We are not running on fast breaks anymore. It really did took away what he does best. And even in the half court. Pick and rolls are not being executed right. I don't know why, but they cant right now.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It's not just Rondo.  The Celtics have had real identity issues on the offensive end for years, ever since they won the title.  They run an overly complicated halfcourt offense, constantly overpass and often lock in on one and only one guy to make shots.

Mike

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 12:04:20 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Docs talk doesn't support his coaching...he said vs the lakers.."we need to run out there"...ya..who...no one he plays except rondo...rondo attck the rim......well if your other 4 guys are standing around, then there will be no open lanes..remember, the guy covering you, goes where YOU go.......if no one moves, nothing happens.= no lanes....a zone D could kill the celtics when their shooting fails....but the way the clets play, they put themsleves into a zone..sort of...doc's other theory...don't waste time rebounding......have you EVER heard a coach say that..it is impossible....it is amature......it flat out doesn't work.....and IF rondo goes to the rim...who follows his layup....no one.......all the current cletic schemes are enough to get a coach FIRED.......since when do they blame the players...anyway...

Yes a Tommy Point. Doc's been off the hook since being here. IMHO he's a good coach on a good team. Mediocre on the lesser. All these guys know the score. We are an 8-6 playoff spot team and that will take effort. We've seen we can beat the 500 clubs with our bench giving starters support. That was encouraging. What was not encouraging were the crunch minutes of the Laker game where the Boys acquired a little Rigor. That's just the way it's going to be when 3-5 starters are considered old.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 12:26:22 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
What was not encouraging were the crunch minutes of the Laker game where the Boys acquired a little Rigor.

The Laker game demonstrated that Doc is not going to do anything but ride KG, Ray, Pierce and Rondo into the ground.

Mike 

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Rondo only has himself to blame for his lack of aggressiveness that stems from his awful perimeter shooting.

How come people do not say the same thing about Bradley.  He is even a worse outside shooter.

I think our guys shut him out last two games.
Who cares about Bradley? He's not the supposed future cornerstone of the franchise.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
What was not encouraging were the crunch minutes of the Laker game where the Boys acquired a little Rigor.

The Laker game demonstrated that Doc is not going to do anything but ride KG, Ray, Pierce and Rondo into the ground.
The Laker game demonstrated that Doc is not going to do anything but play the guys who give him the best chance to win the game.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 12:30:15 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Haven't we already heard for years the C's want Rondo to attack the rim and draw fouls to put the other team in the penalty?  There's only one person to blame here.

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 01:06:44 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
The Laker game demonstrated that Doc is not going to do anything but play the guys who give him the best chance to win the game.

And how'd that work out the next night when playing an awful Toronto team?  Troy Murphy got as many minutes in that LA-Boston game as Brandon Bass and almost twice as many minutes as Chris Wilcox.  Pierce and Rondo played more minutes than any other Laker, while Steve Blake got more run than Pietrus.

And just so we don't have to ever hear this sycophantic excuse again, EVERY coach in the NBA plays the guys who he thinks gives him the best chance to win.

EVERY.

COACH.

DOES.

THAT.

That does not at all mean that every coach is always right on which players give him the best chance to win.  Jeremy Lin, anyone?

Mike

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Who cares about Bradley? He's not the supposed future cornerstone of the franchise.

Nope, he is not and neither is Rondo to be honest.  That being said Rondo is twice the player Bradley is in terms of value on and off the court.

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
No. And because of this thread i now want him to be traded even more.

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 02:56:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I'm actually going to disagree with that.  If we take away the overtime period, Doc kept KG to 30 minutes, despite the problems matching up with the length of the Lakers.  It may help that Bass is a good sub, but I think Doc is legitimately committed to keeping Garnett to 30 minutes per game.  Instead of bumping up KG's minutes, he increased the playing time of Jermaine O'Neal.  Having a trustworthy backup in Pietrus is probably also a reason why Ray Allen's mpg is down three minutes this season.  And I think that Avery Bradley has earned Doc's trust enough that he's going to average 15 mpg coming off the bench for the rest of the season.

The team will probably have a better chance of overachieving in the playoffs (assuming the team isn't blown up) if Doc can stick to giving those minutes to Bass, Pietrus, and Bradley.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Haven't we already heard for years the C's want Rondo to attack the rim and draw fouls to put the other team in the penalty?  There's only one person to blame here.

Finally, someone in this thread talking some sense.

Bottom line: Rondo doesn't bring it every night. Never has, never will.

Blaming Rivers for that is a wild conclusion I am not about to accept.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 03:43:14 PM »

Offline jasail

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 24
I can't see how it is...All we've heard from Doc for 4 seasons now is that Rondo needs to be aggressive to get this team to go.  If Rondo doesn't know how to best play within his role by now, I don't see how that is Doc's fault. 

No one seemed to blame Doc when BBD would forget his role was to play defense and play with energy or when Rasheed thought his role was to stay in the corner and hoist 3s. 

I think part of it is Rondo is still playing through pain and isn't 100% in game shape yet, so it limits his aggression.  And in terms of the Lakers game, they way they play him on defense has frustrated him consistently since the 07-08 Finals. 

Have to say, Rondo seems to understand his role tonight. 

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

And how'd that work out the next night when playing an awful Toronto team?  Troy Murphy got as many minutes in that LA-Boston game as Brandon Bass and almost twice as many minutes as Chris Wilcox.  Pierce and Rondo played more minutes than any other Laker, while Steve Blake got more run than Pietrus.
So, you assert it would have worked better if we had played inferior players extended minutes? I have a hard time believing this.

Bass was playing with an injury, which just comes to show that while armchair head-coaching is easy, you don't necessarily always have all the information.

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rondo plays better with guys who run it was obvious today.