Author Topic: Who's with Them? Who's Fair Weather?  (Read 7551 times)

Who's with Them? Who's Fair Weather?
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »

Offline Tgro

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • It's all about the TEAM!
Quote from: KG
"We're all in here, we understand what it is. We’re all trying to figure this thing out together. These are the dog days, man. These are the days when you're really going to see who’s with you [or] who’s fair-weather."

This is it in a nutshell people! We gotta stick with them.

This is OUR team!

We need to stop throwing them all under the bus.

We've got to weather the storm.

This is the bottom. We're going up from here.

Celtic pride is going to kick in.

I'm with them!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:33:36 AM by Tgro »
The Celtics aren't quitters. Why should you be? - blind homer

Re: Who's with Them? Who's Fair Weather?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:24:18 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I am with them, but they are not going to win a championship - not even close.  One believing this team cannot win the championship does not make one a fair weather fan.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Im ridin til the wheels fall off...

unfortunately, Kevin and Pierce are riding on flat tires.  Them rims are bound to break any game now.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:35:50 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
While I am always with them, I HATE that quote.  I am sure it is taken out of context, but it just comes across as whining to me.

Honestly, with the kind of effort they have put out, I don't think I would consider fans fair weather if they didn't want to watch them or cheer for them right now. 

There comes a point where a team is just no longer fun to watch, and they are coming awfully close to that point.  And its not about winning, it is about playing the right way, and matching your talk with action. 

I am not giving up on this team yet, there is too much talent to not turn things around IMO.  But, I really hope they don't start turning anything around on to the fans, if they continue to play like a highschool JV team.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'm far more interested in this flawed team than I have been in years. Dominating the regular season each year can be pretty boring. They're actually playing for something now.

I'm ecstatic that a lot have people have switched to the Bruins bandwagon. Good riddance. Now I can get some good seats without paying hundreds of dollars.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
You can still 'be with' your team and at the same time looking at the facts and coming to the conclusion that they're not a contending team right now.

One thing is really, really do hate is the 'are you fair-weather or are you a *real* fan'.

It's a celtics basketball message board. Just being here makes you a 'real fan'.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 11:38:56 AM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
Honestly, with the kind of effort they have put out, I don't think I would consider fans fair weather if they didn't want to watch them or cheer for them right now.

The effort gripe is a legit one. The question is.... is the increased chance of injury worth going all out? I'd say no in the regular season. For better or worse, the team will live and die by the jump shot.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 11:43:13 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm with them.  I also still like watching them play. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The effort gripe is a legit one. The question is.... is the increased chance of injury worth going all out? I'd say no in the regular season. For better or worse, the team will live and die by the jump shot.

I don't follow.  What increased risk of injury?  And I am not talking about taking jumpshots, I mean standing around on rebounds, I mean not getting up the floor on fast break opportunities, I mean making two rotations, but then not finishing the trip.  

This is something we have seen before from this team.  They take shortcuts, and it burns them.  

And more importantly, right now this team is nowhere close to a lock for the playoffs.  They are in the middle of their easiest stretch of the schedule.  Through the middle of February, they need to build up a cushion, because the last 2 months of the season, they are going to be on the road a lot, and have a lot more back to backs.  They wont be making up ground at thta point.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 11:47:14 AM »

Offline Tgro

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • It's all about the TEAM!
One thing is really, really do hate is the 'are you fair-weather or are you a *real* fan'.

It's a celtics basketball message board. Just being here makes you a 'real fan'.

I'm really glad to be a part of it and I'm glad you're here too!  ;)
The Celtics aren't quitters. Why should you be? - blind homer

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 12:07:58 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
the boos were disgusting, I was cheering them all night long...

Celtics for life, real fans stick by their team through the good times and the bad times

I'm with them!, we can do this!

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 12:20:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
That this comes from KG really makes me sick. The KG I remember would have jumped at a ball that was off him and slowly trickling out of bounds last night. Instead, he just kind of watched it roll out of bounds.

Maybe KG should look at the efforts being given by this team right now before he starts throwing his fan base under the bus.

Where's the boxing out? Where's the help defense? Where's the running up the court on the fast break? Where's the defensive tenacity and offensive cohesion? Where's the effort?

How about you answer those questions KG before questioning the hearts and minds of the people who shell out huge bucks to go to the Garden after a work stoppage in the NBA which demonstrated that neither the owners nor players gave a rat's ass about the fans. Well, those fans are still banging out the Garden 18000+ strong, KG. Where have you been?

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 12:26:45 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Look, I'll always be with the team, but I am as frustrated about the last week or so as the next fan.

The reports from some here on the blog claim that perhaps Paul and KG did NOT prepare physically for a season...that would be a shocker to me, but there does seem to be some credence to it.

I know that Paul's heel, unfortunately, did not help him getting back into game shape. But it happened, so he has to take each game one at  a time and get himself back into game shape.

As I look around the league, I look at Kobe and Duncan. They both appear to be having good seasons - especially Kobe. Kobe Bean Bryant is tearing up the league.

Kobe's streak won't last much longer, and he (and LA) will soon come crashing back down to earth once they remember that perhaps their most important player now plays for Dallas.

And there is trouble in MIA...they've lost three in a row, too - and it is not looking good for DWade here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7461215/dwyane-

In short, Wade hurt his ankle pretty bad.

This is, and will be, a long season - not only for Boston, but for every other contender out there. I still think this team will get it together and be there at the end.

But I think we have to remember as fans that every team will go through a rough spot this season...it just so happens that ours is happening right now.

As tough as it is to forget about last night, I myself am moving on. We have Indy tonight, and then Perkins and Co. comes to town on Monday. Let's get through January, get Paul and KG back in shape, and see where we are at come mid-late Febuary.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 01:11:42 PM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I am with them, but they are not going to win a championship - not even close.  One believing this team cannot win the championship does not make one a fair weather fan.

Agree 100%.  Being realistic doesn't make you any less of a fan.

Look around the league at the best teams.  They have athletes the Celtics don't have.  Age happens to everyone.  Our starters with the exception of Rondo are not quick enough to play the defense that has been a staple f this teams success.  We don't rebound well because our BIGS are old and cannot keep up with the better athletes on other teams.  We have relied almost completely on jump shots in recent years, jump shots that fall less and less as your legs age and tire.

This is a natural progression.  We just got old.  It's no ones fault and those of us who are realistic about this aren't any less of a fan then those clinging to blind optimism

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 01:16:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Me!   ;)