Author Topic: It has to be finally asked . Why so much infatuation with Antoine Walker?  (Read 7425 times)

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Because im too young remember bird and his prime, and Antoine Walker was a prominent figure when I first started obsessing over basketball.  He was also one of the most fun players to watch when he was on (he certainly gets a hometown discount from me, but I can't think of anyone more than Reggie Miller and Michael Jordan who got that level of excitement out of me during hot stretches). He kept us interested in a few teams that we really had no reason to be interested in.

And as time goes on we're forgiving. We have a tendecy to look over a lot of big things; his shot selection and turnovers are brought up a lot but we fail to recollect that he could get absolutely dominated on both ends by a power forward was better for him. IE: He was absolutely silenced by Kenyon Martin. Much like Drew, he was polarizing and I think his time had come when Danny traded him.

Finally, he's brought up a lot because he's available, and we know he'd love to come back.

Do I want him back? Probably not. But I'll always have a spot in my heart for Antoine Walker

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I just loved seeing Antoine in the stands during the NBA Finals this year.  It really just shows how dedicated he was to this city and to this team for so many tough years, and I think that people love him for that.

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Plain and simple, the real reason Toine gets so much love is Larry Bird.

A lot of us are to young to remember Bird in his prime; but we did get to experience a cocky 6'9" forward that could drop 30, pull 10 boards, and dish 5 assists on any given night - all while raining threes and talking trash.

We did not have Larry, we had Toine.
:o
I'm old enough to have watched the Phoenix series, see the C's go south after that and watch Magic and our own Larry rejuvinate the entire nba not just their teams.  Antoine and Larry are not in the same league.  I believe its been called green kool aid.  I don't dislike Walker as a person but hated him as a C, hated Pitino and feel this was a very bad time for the c's.
Picture Red for a second, Pitino drafts Walker..Red has stepped aside he's at a Celtic game watching 'toine jack 3's that don't go in, handle the ball like he's bird (not working) and playing matador d.  Sure red is worried but then he see's the walker wiggle, bites down hard on his cigar turns away and shakes his head.  Larry would destroy an opponent but never a wiggle (thank god)!!

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
No problem keeping Toine in our hearts; thats as good a place as any; just not in a Celtic uniform
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
No problem keeping Toine in our hearts; thats as good a place as any; just not in a Celtic uniform

At the time, the Celtic uniform was trash....Antoine and Pierce were the only two players who put any credit back into those jerseys.

Now that Celtic jersey ain't good enough for Toine...F' that.

Do not forget it took KG and Ray Allen, two potential hall of famers (plus a slew of nice role players whom would NEVER touch a Celtic uniform without KG or Ray Allen) to help Pierce and the rest of the Celtics win Banner #17.

Just because we won the title last year, doesn't mean we are back to the Bird Era or our franchise's legacy has been restored.....nope.

We need to keep it up and repeat.

We can't get big heads now and drop our guard.

Look at the 2007 Miami Heat and how fast they fell.

We do not want to be a "1 and done" type team.