Author Topic: Which player are you most excited / curious about?  (Read 7484 times)

Which player are you most excited / curious about?
« on: September 28, 2021, 12:55:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It could be a free agent, somebody we traded for, or somebody already on the roster. Which player makes you say “I can’t wait to see what he brings this year”?

For me, almost the entire roster fits that description, but if I had to pick the player I am most looking forward to, it’s Al Horford.  Having excellent passing and outside shooting should really open up our offense again, which makes the team more effective while also being more entertaining to watch.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Which player are you most excited / curious about?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 12:59:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nesmith. 

I want to see what he can do in year 2.  I have much more expectations in him than Langford at this point.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 01:05:23 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Second the comment about the whole roster!

If I have to pick one it’s Rob Williams. If he’s healthy and available for 25-30 minutes a game the team levels up a lot, and we should be really tough at the end of close games. At full blast he is disruptive in a way few players are, a nice complement to the Js.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 01:16:40 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
As you say, I have plenty of excitement for the new and existing players but I am not expecting anything terribly unexpected from them.

The one that I think is a wild card is Parker (so "curious" applies).  The last time he played regularly was in ATL in 2019-2020.  In that period for ATL (32 games, 23 starts) he put up 15 pts and 6 rebs on reasonably efficient shooting.  We got 9.5 pts and 5 rebs out of Theis at PF last season in 42 games, 39 starts, 24.5 min, with comparable efficiency, albeit probably better defense.

I think people have forgotten or for some reason dismissed that you do still need some production from the PF position in the NBA.  You can play one big or different small units but if you have a decent or good PF it is an asset and if you don't, it is a weakness.  I know that Parker is more likely to disappoint than surprise but he could turn out to be a very valuable player if he does surprise.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 01:18:39 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I agree about the whole roster (and Horford in particular), but I'm especially excited to see what the Jays have added to their games. I think some improved playmaking from them would go a long way for making out offense tick, especially if we get more off ball movement this season (I was really hoping the roster changes last year would bring that, but maybe the coaching change this year will)

Honestly, we need more playmaking from every position than we had last year, but our offense should (and will) revolve around the Jays. If they're able to create for others in addition to their scoring, our offense will just be that much more dangerous.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 01:29:32 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
For me, almost the entire roster fits that description, but if I had to pick the player I am most looking forward to, it’s Al Horford.  Having excellent passing and outside shooting should really open up our offense again, which makes the team more effective while also being more entertaining to watch.
Was thinking about this yesterday while watching Horford's interview. Don't know why, but I'm fired up for the upcoming season! Totally agree with what you wrote. Wouldn't change a single world from your post.

If I had to name one more guy besides Horford, I'd go with Pritchard. Same reasoning: He's an excellent shooter and a willing passer (plus, an outstanding ball handler). Unfortunately, he's a below average defender, but this is why we could nab him at #26. :P

If we are talking non-Celtics, I'd go with Cade. I believe he's a surefire future HOFer (barring injuries).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 01:38:56 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 01:30:09 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Tatum and Brown. This squad (and for the next several years) goes as far as they go. How high will that be?

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 01:46:51 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Josh Richardson is a huge wildcard for me for the next two seasons. He's a long, athletic player who at various points in time has shown the ability to: be a primary ballhandler, shoot at a high level, play defense across 3-4 positions, and play off the ball without needing to be high usage. He's shown bits and pieces of being the perfect glue guy, but his trajectory over the past couple years has been negative. Still, he's 28 years old and would be the perfect puzzle piece to easily slot next to any of Smart, Schroder, Brown, Tatum, Nesmith, etc.

A guy you can put on the court and not worry about fit because he fits with anyone. At least that was the Josh Richardson bull case from three years ago.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 02:22:14 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
   It’s Timelord for me. I’m hoping he can be relatively healthy and curious if he can be a starter with the Jays on a true contender. Other than that I’m curiouS if they choose to use  Pritchard more off ball with so many skilled ball handlers and/or guys comfortable most with the ball in their hands.OR do the Celts limit him to third string and we are no longer picked on at hardly any position.

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 02:36:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Curious most about our 4 position, especially seeing how Jabari Parker (assuming he does not get cut) and Hernangomez fit in. 

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 02:48:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Curious most about our 4 position, especially seeing how Jabari Parker (assuming he does not get cut) and Hernangomez fit in.

Yeah, scoring from the 4 could be real important. Brad has blanced out this roster nicely.

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 02:54:54 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Romeo, he came into the league hurt, second year COVID, this could be the year he shows why he was a five-star recruit out of Indiana.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 03:11:52 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Nesmith.  He looked great in the summer league.  If he can bring solid overall play with elite shooting, he’ll open up the offense for the two J’s.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 03:24:12 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1811
Like many of you I am excited about the whole team.  I have been thinking a lot about Rob and Jabari.  With both of them on the floor for solid minutes this team will not be a pushover.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 03:35:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441
Jaylen Brown, no contest. Hopefully he comes back strong and develops into a top 20 player. Team will go as far as JB and JT take them..
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.