Author Topic: Marc Stein let go by ESPN  (Read 10174 times)

Re: Marc Stein let go by ESPN
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 10:39:07 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
How are Jemele Hill and Michael Smith still on ESPN???

Not sure what you have against Hill and Smith. They are both charismatic and thoughtful commentators, though I prefer Hill to to Smith. I do agree Stein is one of the good ones though.

She is the worst. I quit watching the 6 o'clock Sportscenter because of the new format.

Remember when she said rooting for the Celtics was like rooting for Hitler?

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 10:46:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Not sure what you have against Hill and Smith. They are both charismatic and thoughtful commentators, though I prefer Hill to to Smith. I do agree Stein is one of the good ones though.

She is the worst. I quit watching the 6 o'clock Sportscenter because of the new format.

Wasn't that the early 2000's or so?

And I'm certain she apologized.

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 11:16:48 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

An apology doesn't mean much coming from her. Probably forced by ESPN in interest of keeping her job.

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 11:37:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

An apology doesn't mean much coming from her. Probably forced by ESPN in interest of keeping her job.

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 11:39:53 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Yeah.

Apologies are a lost art nowadays....................right?

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 11:44:32 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Who is Jamele Hill?

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 12:47:32 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I haven't watched ESPN other than for a game in over 5 years. I used to watch Sportscenter religiously, and even Around The Horn and PTI when I got home early enough.

I don't even care for their pregame stuff for their Celtics broadcasts either.

The channel is terrible now. I have no use for them at all anymore with the trash they put out and support. How SAS can be employed is beyond me. The decent ones get canned, the good ones wind up leaving, and the terrible ones get promotions.

My go-to channel years ago was ESPNews and I don't even know what channel number they are on my new cable provider. No need.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 01:02:05 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
That's actually B.S.

Really ESPN?? Man some of these people getting layed off are ridiculous.

And Mel Kiper and Todd McShay are on ESPN getting like 2/32 picks right in Round 1 of their mock drafts...  :P

ESPN is dually focused on entertainment and pushing a social agenda. Sports, and particularly reasoned sports analysis, is secondary to that.

These moves are about economics, not social agendas. ESPN is in trouble.

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 08:44:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That's actually B.S.

And Mel Kiper and Todd McShay are on ESPN getting like 2/32 picks right in Round 1 of their mock drafts...  :P

ESPN is dually focused on entertainment and pushing a social agenda. Sports, and particularly reasoned sports analysis, is secondary to that.

No, there's a clear social agenda. ESPN acknowledged that in their press release, noting that they are focused on "making a difference". Or, this from their Ombudsman:

http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/767/inside-and-out-espn-dealing-with-changing-political-dynamics

Economics is why cuts had to be made. Their choice of who to let go isn't solely economic however.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 10:17:08 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
That's actually B.S.

No, there's a clear social agenda. ESPN acknowledged that in their press release, noting that they are focused on "making a difference".

Economics is why cuts had to be made. Their choice of who to let go isn't solely economic however.

Never underestimate simple incompetence or personal agendas.  FS1 just cancelled "Garbage Time" after it won a Emmy and appear to be paying Katie Nolan to do a a whole lot of nothing.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 10:06:30 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Yeah.

Apologies are a lost art nowadays....................right?

Sincere apologies are a lost art...we are inundated with so many typed out, corporate written, insincere apologies that the words "I'm sorry" mean little to me nowadays.  At least from those in the public.

...my friends are a different story, since I know when they are sincere, not just selling me a load of manure.  I can take their apology at face value, as they do mine.

Rak

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 10:13:17 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Who is Jamele Hill?
you don't wanna know

;)
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 10:53:18 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I don't understand the viewer appetite for watching other people emote hot-takes at each other. Are these really their best-rated options? Competitive bickering athletic soap opera , every day 24/7, except for a game every so often. I can almost understand talk radio, because you can be doing something else, but these televised talk radio shows demand visual attention, too. 6pm Sportscenter used to be an oasis of sports info in the desert of competitive chatter, and now it's all dried up.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
ESPN can't be the be all end all sports content provider anymore.  They are focusing on their big audience draws, which are live sports coverage and sports talk personalities.

Yes, it's lowest common denominator. The good thing to know and keep in mind is that part of the reason this is happening is that there are so many other places to find quality in depth or niche content now. You don't need to go to espn for detailed analysis of the bench guys on your favorite team. That's what SB nation is for. Or you can listen to podcasts. Read The Ringer. Or Hardwood Paroxysm. Or Bballbreakdown. Or Nylon Calculus. Etc.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 11:30:52 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
I work in the business of television and spent over a decade with Disney, here are some thoughts:

- Disney's most profitable business segment is their Cable networks group. 3+ years ago it was making 47% of their revenues. Parks & Resorts makes about 18%, Consumer Products about 14% and movies (including Marvel) make about 8%. TV is by far their most profitable business
- Money in TV is made off of commercials. With DVR and Streaming, people mostly skip commercials, which have driven down the prices companies can charge for them. This has placed a premium on sports, as viewers seldom DVR a game and all commercials are watched. Every network has upped the prices on their commercial spots to make more $$ and compensate for loss of revenues elsewhere.
- The cable universe (those who want it) is declining by more than 1 million viewers each year. This is cable cutters, reduced packages and the "never haves", most millennials. Less people watching means less money to be made
- The majority of the cuts made were to contributors whose value you can't quantify. Marc Stein is an insider, but he does not have a show, is used in small segments with no regular viewing and offers a service many others have. He supports their NBA coverage but adds zero when it comes to helping monetize it
- The move to digital consumption is nowhere near as profitable. Ads sell for 1/10th the cost, which makes a multi-billion dollar investment in a sport that you thought would drive big returns a very questionable investment.
- Every network needs personalities and invests in them to keep that buzz going. Whether you like Stephen A or not, he is a marketable talent who drives interest, whether positive or negative. PTI and ATH do the same.
- SportsCenter used to be the big money maker, but clip based shows no longer have the same relevance. Most people seek out scores, stats, clips and insight online, where that need can be filled instantly. ESPN.com offers the same service as SportsCenter and it's free. For an additional $40 you get their Insider info with more details. That's incredibly cheap when each cable subscriber pays about $8 per month to receive the channel as part of their cable package.
- To revive Sportscenter, the move is to change the formula, hence SC6 and Van Pelt's midnight show. People will watch because they like or hate the talent. The new way allows you to carve up the demographics by offering "frat boy humor and coolness" late night and "diversity with African American male and female" at an earlier hour.
- With that said, the large number of experts being released hurts their product, no question. But since they could never quantify the contributions, they're willing to let other resources (PFT, MMQB, et al) worry about the high expense of insider info.

Personally, I think it sucks and degrades the overall experience. But all of these moves are business. Disney (or Fox, CBS, NBC...) only cares about returning revenues to their shareholders.