Author Topic: Shakeup coming in MIL?  (Read 19590 times)

Re: Shakeup coming in MIL?
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2016, 01:22:13 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Now that Parker is getting healthy and averaging over 20 a game over the last 15 or so games, does anyone change their mind on his value?

I still say two nets picks or a nets pick and Smart would get the Bucks talking.

But I doubt they take that offer now.
Yeah he's starting to show his potential. Not sure why so many were quick to write him off. 

That 2014 draft class is a slow burn.  I still think exum and embiid will have careers as well.

Exum might have a nice career, but I don't think he'll ever come close to living up to the hype that surrounded him when he first came out from Down Under.
It's interesting, because Exum is the only player in history to make the leap directly from a foreign high school to the pros and by mid-season his defense was so sensational he earned himself a starting role.  His offensive aggression wasn't there, but folks that watched him said he had an unusually high IQ and feel for the game.  He's still slotted in as their starter.  I'd buy stock in Exum.  If you remember the pre-LeBron days, typically guys who jumped from high school to the pros took a couple years.  That's what made LeBron so otherworldly.  Even phenom prospects like KG and Kobe were pretty irrelevant as rookies. 

« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Now that Parker is getting healthy and averaging over 20 a game over the last 15 or so games, does anyone change their mind on his value?

I still say two nets picks or a nets pick and Smart would get the Bucks talking.

Yeah he's starting to show his potential. Not sure why so many were quick to write him off. 

That 2014 draft class is a slow burn.  I still think exum and embiid will have careers as well.

Exum might have a nice career, but I don't think he'll ever come close to living up to the hype that surrounded him when he first came out from Down Under.
It's interesting, because Exum is the only player in history to make the leap directly from a foreign high school to the pros and by mid-season his defense was so sensational he earned himself a starting role.  His offensive aggression wasn't there, but folks that watched him said he had an unusually high IQ and feel for the game.  He's still slotted in as their starter.  I'd buy stock in Exum.  If you remember the pre-LeBron days, typically guys who jumped from high school to the pros took a couple years.  That's what made LeBron so otherworldly.  Even phenom prospects like KG and Kobe were pretty irrelevant as rookies.
From what I saw in SL, I would be pretty surprised if he didn't turn out to be a very good player.

« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2016, 02:27:38 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I don't see Greg Monroe as much of an upgrade over our other power forwards.

You don't think Monroe is an upgrade over Sullinger?  I only watch Monroe play a handful of times a year so I'm curious to what others think.  To me, he's a clear upgrade over Sully.  He's been on some dysfunctional teams and he's consistently averaged 16/10 on 50% shooting.  Sully may be his equal as a rebounder, but he doesn't score nearly as efficiently.  He's probably not a huge upgrade over Sully defensively, but he gives us more size (vertically) and that's been a problem for us.

I suppose you could say Monroe is overpaid, but that won't really be the case with the salary cap exploding.  Trading for him will prevent us from signing two max guys this summer, but is that realistic any way?  Sully is a restricted free agent this summer and that worries me on multiple levels.  I have no idea what he's going to command from other teams and there's no way I would want to offer him a big contract.  We're going to need a strong rebounding big if Sully leaves, so why not get one now that might help us win a few more games this season.

It's likely that he is a significant downgrade over Sullinger defensively, despite being a few inches taller.

85+% of his shots come from within ten feet of the basket in an era where pounding the ball inside and posting up is a relatively inefficient possession.

The Celtics would probably be better off with someone like Zaza Pachulia than Greg Monroe.

Not getting into advanced stats just shooting from the hip,

my gut feeling is that Monroe thrives if he is placed in Sullys current role. Monroe has never been on a team that is truly a great fit for him. His style of player (lower versatility post based bigs) like Big Al, Kanter, or Okafor really need a specific roster built around them to thrive in todays game. This includes perimeter players who can shoot and  who are not constantly getting beat off the dribble and bigs who can space the floor.

In Detriot he had average at best perimeter defenders and a fellow spacing killer in Drumond. Now in Mil he is in a starting lineup that features 3 non 3pt shooters in Carter Williams, Giannis and Parker. Not to mention Carter-Williams is less then stellar staying in front of point guards on defense.

In Boston he would have the benefit off three elite perimeter defenders and IT who despite his size does a good job staying in front of his man. KO, Jerebko and to a less extent Amir can keep a defense spaced out leaving room in the post for Monroe. Statistically Monroe and Sully are very similar per 40 but I feel safer giving a long term money to monroe who has not had health or weight issues and is only 1 year older then Sully.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2016, 02:35:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

All fair points.  I think he'll be pretty good, just not perennial all star level good. 

Like you say, he seems to have a nice feel for the game, but I didn't see the kind of explosiveness from him in his rookie year that had many pegging him as the "next Penny Hardaway."

Add the fact that he doesn't seem like much of a shooter or a naturally aggressive scorer, and I see "solid role player" more than "transcendent superstar."
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I don't see Greg Monroe as much of an upgrade over our other power forwards.

You don't think Monroe is an upgrade over Sullinger?  I only watch Monroe play a handful of times a year so I'm curious to what others think.  To me, he's a clear upgrade over Sully.  He's been on some dysfunctional teams and he's consistently averaged 16/10 on 50% shooting.  Sully may be his equal as a rebounder, but he doesn't score nearly as efficiently.  He's probably not a huge upgrade over Sully defensively, but he gives us more size (vertically) and that's been a problem for us.

I suppose you could say Monroe is overpaid, but that won't really be the case with the salary cap exploding.  Trading for him will prevent us from signing two max guys this summer, but is that realistic any way?  Sully is a restricted free agent this summer and that worries me on multiple levels.  I have no idea what he's going to command from other teams and there's no way I would want to offer him a big contract.  We're going to need a strong rebounding big if Sully leaves, so why not get one now that might help us win a few more games this season.

It's likely that he is a significant downgrade over Sullinger defensively, despite being a few inches taller.

85+% of his shots come from within ten feet of the basket in an era where pounding the ball inside and posting up is a relatively inefficient possession.

The Celtics would probably be better off with someone like Zaza Pachulia than Greg Monroe.

Not getting into advanced stats just shooting from the hip,

my gut feeling is that Monroe thrives if he is placed in Sullys current role. Monroe has never been on a team that is truly a great fit for him. His style of player (lower versatility post based bigs) like Big Al, Kanter, or Okafor really need a specific roster built around them to thrive in todays game. This includes perimeter players who can shoot and  who are not constantly getting beat off the dribble and bigs who can space the floor.

In Detriot he had average at best perimeter defenders and a fellow spacing killer in Drumond. Now in Mil he is in a starting lineup that features 3 non 3pt shooters in Carter Williams, Giannis and Parker. Not to mention Carter-Williams is less then stellar staying in front of point guards on defense.

In Boston he would have the benefit off three elite perimeter defenders and IT who despite his size does a good job staying in front of his man. KO, Jerebko and to a less extent Amir can keep a defense spaced out leaving room in the post for Monroe. Statistically Monroe and Sully are very similar per 40 but I feel safer giving a long term money to monroe who has not had health or weight issues and is only 1 year older then Sully.     

If Monroe was in Boston his success would depend on if he bought into the defensive mentality of this team the way Sullinger has. Despite his less than stellar defensive record, Sully has actually played very solid D for us this year, mainly on account of buying in 100%, giving full hustle on loose balls and knowing where to rotate when. Monroe could probably do that if he buys in, I'm just not sure if he would.

To me, what makes Monroe a more viable Sully replacement is his passing skills. For a guy with his skill-set to be effective, he needs to have excellent passing ability to take advantage of double teams and maintain spacing. Monroe has that, and has the ability to run offense from the high post, so he's not the kind of ball-stopper Okafor is. But to be a net positive in his team he'll need to buy in on defense and become AT LEAST adequate, or he'll continue being a net negative.

« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2016, 02:53:36 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Has he gained a three point shot and learned how to play defense?

Nope.

He's been leading the league (or close to it) in minutes played, though. He's had a handful of very good games. He's been pretty efficient. Do I suddenly think he's worth trading the Brooklyn pick or Smart or god forbid more? Nope. Do I care if Milwaukee disagrees? Nope.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2016, 03:01:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I read that they are using GA as a point gaurd. Has this resulted in Parker playing on the wing as opposed to as a 4?

I havent watched or followed the Bucks since our last game against them and am trying to figure out if something like that has allowed Parker to blossom.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2016, 04:28:47 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I read that they are using GA as a point gaurd. Has this resulted in Parker playing on the wing as opposed to as a 4?

I havent watched or followed the Bucks since our last game against them and am trying to figure out if something like that has allowed Parker to blossom.

Well, he's not really playing point guard, although he is handling the ball more.

The key move seems to have been moving MCW to the bench and replacing him with more of a spot up shooter in OJ Mayo.

More floor spacing has probably opened up the court for everyone and allowed Jabari more room to operate more as a secondary ball handler.

I haven't seen them play much lately either.  I'm basing this off the box scores and some highlight videos.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Well, he's not really playing point guard, although he is handling the ball more.

Yes.  And it's as not pretty as before.  He is actually pretty much playing PG which is the problem.  Same bad situation for Parker.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:50:14 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2016, 04:48:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
my gut feeling is that Monroe thrives if he is placed in Sullys current role.

Do you think he thrives if he is limited to taking the number of shots that Sullinger takes?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2016, 07:44:04 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Yes.  And it's as not pretty as before.  He is actually pretty much playing PG which is the problem.  Same bad situation for Parker.

Yet, since MCW got moved to the bench and Giannis has been the primary ballhandler (thirteen games, by my count) the Bucks are above .500.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2016, 09:04:02 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Do you think he thrives if he is limited to taking the number of shots that Sullinger takes?

He does shoot almost 10% better fg% and ft%. Now don't get me wrong I have always been a big silly supporter but Sullys conditioning dictates his current role at his rate of production he should be playing around 30mpg but he can not. Monroe can and therefore would have an expanded role in this team.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2016, 09:23:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

You can bet he would shoot better than .44% ( that being said Sully has shot well the last few games), Monroe is a career .50% shooter.

« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2016, 09:52:01 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Yet, since MCW got moved to the bench and Giannis has been the primary ballhandler (thirteen games, by my count) the Bucks are above .500.

I think that says a lot about MCW, who I think very little of.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2016, 10:16:22 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I don't get this question.

Jared Sullinger is averaging 14.9 FGA Per 36 Minutes, and that's the lowest he's averaged in three years.

Monroe is averaging 14.9 FGA Per 36 Minutes this year, and that is a career high.

Sullinger actually takes MORE shots than Monroe ever has, which is one of the things about him that frustrates me so much.  He takes far too many shots for somebody who as inefficient as he is.

Monroe's ability to put up very nice scoring numbers without needing a lot of touches one of the things I love most about his game.