Author Topic: Kyrie > Rondo  (Read 54538 times)

Re: Kyrie > Rondo
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2013, 09:23:51 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If we had traded Rondo for Kyrie at the beginning of the year, would our record be better, worse, or the same?  Would we have a better or worse shot in the playoffs?

I think we'd be better with him.  His ability to create his own offense is exactly what our aging stars need to take some of the pressure off of them.

How much pounts would the others score per game though. He's only averaging 6 assist a game? Will Pierce have his points average this season the same with Kyrie?

Also he might make us worse in rebounding.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2013, 09:26:09 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If we had traded Rondo for Kyrie at the beginning of the year, would our record be better, worse, or the same?  Would we have a better or worse shot in the playoffs?

I think we'd be better with him.  His ability to create his own offense is exactly what our aging stars need to take some of the pressure off of them.

I  TOTALLY AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Rondo has his great nights.  But, Kyrie is as tuff as Rondo , built like a tank and can score ANYTIME his team needs him to , and yet CAN play unselfish. Rondo just can't take over like CP3 , Rose, or Kyrie or even Curry.  Rondo needs stars to bring out his game. Our stars are past their prime.  :'(

Yes we would be probally  6-7 games ABOVE .500 right now with Kyrie playing EVERY GAME  and a healthy AB , we would be asured playoff contenders .

A Celtics team with Cousins and Kyrie would be a good bet to win ANY NIGHT against anybody.

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2013, 09:42:52 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

How much pounts would the others score per game though. He's only averaging 6 assist a game? Will Pierce have his points average this season the same with Kyrie?

Well, we won a championship with Rondo averaging 5.1 assists per game.  I think spreading the ball around on offense more and relying more upon movement would be helpful to this team.  Irving isn't a completely ball-dominant PG, as he allows his teammates (especially Waiters) to handle the ball quite a bit, too.  I think he'd be a great fit next to Pierce and KG. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Well, we won a championship with Rondo averaging 5.1 assists per game.  I think spreading the ball around on offense more and relying more upon movement would be helpful to this team.  Irving isn't a completely ball-dominant PG, as he allows his teammates (especially Waiters) to handle the ball quite a bit, too.  I think he'd be a great fit next to Pierce and KG.

Exactly.

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2013, 09:49:36 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Tonight Kyrie for sure.

If you are picking a PG for the playoffs I'd take Rondo.

Irving is pretty amazing and scary though.

He can pretty much do anything on the court and is never fazed or rushed on anything. He was playing against Bradley for a decent amount of possessions and just took his time and made plays.

I'd take Kyrie over Rondo in the playoffs pretty much no question unless I had multiple elite scoring options for Rondo to pass to.

All Rondo needs is a few players that can score in transition and players that can hit open jumpers. We didn't have elite scoring options in the playoffs last year and we made it to the ECF.

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2013, 09:51:36 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Yeesh,

Let it go, Roy. Celticsblog draft is supposed to be a fun activity to pass us through the dog days of Summer.

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2013, 09:52:22 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I kid, of course.

Give me Irving, and I don't have to think about it much.

EDIT: So I dont' come off bandwagon, I actually did a 9 on 9 'draft' with a friend. For a billion dollars best in the NBA, 1 game only, and Irving was my reserve Point Guard.

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeesh,

Let it go, Roy. Celticsblog draft is supposed to be a fun activity to pass us through the dog days of Summer.

Haha.  I should probably start biting my tongue a bit more regarding Jeff Green.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2013, 09:55:22 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Tonight Kyrie for sure.

He can pretty much do anything on the court and is never fazed or rushed on anything. He was playing against Bradley for a decent amount of possessions and just took his time and made plays.

I'd take Kyrie over Rondo in the playoffs pretty much no question unless I had multiple elite scoring options for Rondo to pass to.

All Rondo needs is a few players that can score in transition and players that can hit open jumpers. We didn't have elite scoring options in the playoffs last year and we made it to the ECF.

KG averaged 19 a game, shooting 50% in last year's playoffs.  Paul also averaged 19 a game. 

KG looked pretty elite to me in last year's playoffs.

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2013, 09:57:59 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
I kid, of course.

Give me Irving, and I don't have to think about it much.

EDIT: So I dont' come off bandwagon, I actually did a 9 on 9 'draft' with a friend. For a billion dollars best in the NBA, 1 game only, and Irving was my reserve Point Guard.

Who was your starting point guard?  I can guess who, but one other poster here seems to think he's the worst PG around.

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Haven't read through the thread, but as for the title... not really news.

30 out of 30 NBA GMs would take Irving over Rondo if they were building a team from the ground up.

Thanks for your personal, completely unfounded, opinion.

It's his personal opinion, but I question how unfounded it is.

A couple of years ago, Danny tried to move Rondo for Steph Curry, and was rebuffed.  Similarly, New Orleans indicated it had no interest in Rondo, despite him being on a very good contract relative to his talent.

Now, that's just two GMs out of 30, but I get the sense that the league is moving in the direction of guys who can create their own offense.
I agree that most GM's would probably take Irving over Rondo but that's because the entire league has been transformed by the "shooting guard that can't play shooting guard because he's not big enough but is a great passer for a shooting guard so let's make him a point guard" syndrome.

Irving, Rose, Westbrook, Curry, Ellis, Lillard, Walker, Robinson, Hill, Jennings, etc.

The trend is to have a PG that can score first, shoot efficiently from three second, pass third.

That's not my type of PG. A huge amount of NBA GMs might love that. I don't.

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Also, Consider that:
-There is no correlation between a team's assist totals and offensive efficiency. Just different styles.
-Not sure about the correlation of a single player with high assists and offensive efficiency, but I'd strongly guess that it is not significant (rather, most players with high assists are superstars, and the superstar part is more important (Nash, Paul) than the assist part.
-In the C's previous pre-KG playoff era, Walker maxed out at 5.0 assists per game and pierce was a 25+ night per game scorer. We were about middle of the pack offensively in those years (like this year/recent years). I would venture to guess that adding a potent all-star scorer with middling (5 apg range) assist numbers to that 01-02 team (Iverson, Cassel, Damon Stoudemire, Carter, Allen, McGrady) would have opened things up just as much as adding Rondo to that team.

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2013, 10:01:03 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Also, side topic, but i think the term "true" or "Pure" point guard is used to make GMs/Fans feel better about their guy's major flaw at actually getting the ball into the hoop than it is a useful term that describes something that helps win more than another style of play.

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2013, 10:01:21 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Tonight Kyrie for sure.

KG averaged 19 a game, shooting 50% in last year's playoffs.  Paul also averaged 19 a game. 

KG looked pretty elite to me in last year's playoffs.
don't forget the drose injury factor, completely change our path to the ECF.

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Either way you fall on this debate it does make one thing very clear:

If the Celtics aver decide to trade Rondo, the return is likely going to be disappointing because of the depth of PGs in the NBA today. 

And I agree that Kyrie would be an upgrade for this team giving them a true number 1 threat.