Author Topic: Anyone planning on watching the solar eclipse?  (Read 3704 times)

Re: Anyone planning on watching the solar eclipse?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2024, 03:51:03 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Very cool. 98% totality here.  We could have driven 45 minutes for 100%, but the roads were mobbed.

I thought of driving up from Boston but figured that would be the case  :-\
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 04:22:29 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
I live in the fingerlakes in upstate ny. Total cloud cover unfortunately. Still pretty cool watching it get dark. A few of my friends are swearing they can feel the temp dropping, but I can't imagine they can feel a few degrees.

I’m in your area on a boat in the middle of Seneca Lake. We got a brief glimpse, like 3 secs, about 5mins before totality. A sliver of sun. Then watched it get dark except on the horizons, that was neat. Bugs came out, then left when it got lighter.

Edit: Noticed some other things on the water. The clouds were scalloped with some small breaks leading up to totality. The wind was light and became calm during totality. When it passed more than just the temperature changed. The clouds thickened, the wind freshened and shifted about 90 degrees from before. And about an hour after we got light rain. So, whatever little front or weather system we were in seemed to be affected by the eclipse. The eclipse either slowed what was approaching or delayed its occurrence, not sure. Or maybe it was a coincidence, haha. But it was cool.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 08:28:11 PM by mobilija »

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2024, 06:03:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Had maybe  85 % coverage at 3:05 PM .   Kinda cool.  Then I went on my daily bicycle ride as it was 65 and sunny and clear.

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2024, 08:09:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
We were in the totality line.  Just went on my deck and saw the whole progression over about 3 hours.  From a little sliver at the bottom, to totality, and then a little sliver at the top.  Temperature dropped like 15 degrees and it was dark.  Really cool.  Glad my kids got to see one.  My parents took me to the one in Mexico in 1991.  That was fun, but a heck of a lot nicer to just go in back yard.

2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2024, 08:39:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Took this using the eclipse glasses around Boston (near Charles/MGH and the Charles River Esplanade). We didn't get 100% "totality" but it was close. Definitely another cool experience like 2017. It gets "less sunny", noticeably dimmer/darker and also the air and weather gets cold too for about 15-20 minutes. There were A TON of people outside witnessing it which was cool. Even cars briefly would stop to notice it.

Kinda sad we won't get to see it again for 20 years. But hey, maybe the C's will be on their way to Banner 28 in that time?  ;)

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2024, 09:39:22 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Got to view it from my front yard in Vermont which was in the path of totality.  It was pretty cool.  You could take the glasses off for about 3 minutes and see the solar corona.  There were some thin clouds but the sun remained fully visible.  We got a great view?

Good omen for the Celtics?

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2024, 10:50:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
Watched from my backyard just north of Indianapolis. One of the most amazing events I’ve ever experienced, and I’ll be forever grateful that I got to do it with my kids. The darkness and the environment changes (noticeable drop in temperature, animals quieting, etc.) were cool, and the filtered light of the 90+%  eclipsed sun was trippy. It was almost like you were in a black and white movie. But the sight and sheer brilliance/beauty of the eclipsed moon is truly indescribable. It almost has a 3d effect. I have some cool pictures and a Timelapse if I can figure out how to upload them here.

1000% recommend witnessing one at some point in your life. And what they say about the major difference between a partial and whole eclipse is true. Nothing like it.

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2024, 02:51:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
So jealous of you guys that saw the corona! It was awesome to see the day get a little darker but seeing it go to dusk must have been great especially for the kids  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D