Author Topic: Anyone planning on watching the solar eclipse?  (Read 9112 times)

Anyone planning on watching the solar eclipse?
« on: April 08, 2024, 02:07:56 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
I watched the one in 2017 in Boston but it wasn't exactly memorable...this one is supposed to be better. I thought of making the 3.5 hr drive up to Burlington VT to watch it as it was going to be a total eclipse over there but the thought of driving back to Boston with all the traffic dissuaded me...not to mention the fact that if it became cloudy at an inopportune time I'd be kicking myself  :police:

So staying here in Boston to watch a 90% partial eclipse, should be good enough for me. What about you guys? Anyone in the path of totality? I'd imagine Roy in northern ME would be in the path of totality, as would be rocknrollforyoursoul in NH. Next one over North America's not till 2044 apparently.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: Anyone planning on watching the solar eclipse?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 02:10:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm working from home today so I'm going to pop outside on my building's sundeck to watch in a bit.  93.7% totality here in Chicago.  Peaking at 2:07 CST.

In the midst of tax season so won't be able to linger outside too long, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 02:40:44 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Looking at it right now. A little west of Boston. Moon taking a bite out of the sun in lower right - at 3-6 o’clock if the sun were the face of a clock.  Zero impact on sunlight.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 02:44:48 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Looking at it right now. A little west of Boston. Moon taking a bite out of the sun in lower right - at 3-6 o’clock if the sun were the face of a clock.  Zero impact on sunlight.

I haven’t gone out yet because I’m looking out the window and I’m not seeing any change to the sunlight here in Boston…was going to go for a run around 3 and see if it starts to change by then  :police:

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 02:53:52 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

I haven’t gone out yet because I’m looking out the window and I’m not seeing any change to the sunlight here in Boston…was going to go for a run around 3 and see if it starts to change by then  :police:

I’m not sure about this, but I don’t know that you’ll see a noticeable change in sunlight if not in the ‘path of totality’. I might be wrong, will find out soon. The glasses are great. Actually, the only thing you can see is the sun/moon.  It’s worth taking a peak at it. Beyond that, not all that interesting. I’ll look every once in a while - change is slow. Wish I could get phone pics but not able.  Wife will be home soon and we’ll watch a little.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 02:59:20 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

I’m not sure about this, but I don’t know that you’ll see a noticeable change in sunlight if not in the ‘path of totality’. I might be wrong, will find out soon. The glasses are great. Actually, the only thing you can see is the sun/moon.  It’s worth taking a peak at it. Beyond that, not all that interesting. I’ll look every once in a while - change is slow. Wish I could get phone pics but not able.  Wife will be home soon and we’ll watch a little.

I popped out to have a look with my glasses, it was about 15% covered, cool to see on glasses but not noticeable without. I don’t imagine there will be much difference to the sunlight even if 90% of the sun is covered…that thing is pretty [dang] bright. I saw the partial one in 2017, I forget what % that was but it wasn’t really obvious.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 03:05:10 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
I live in the fingerlakes in upstate ny. Total cloud cover unfortunately. Still pretty cool watching it get dark. A few of my friends are swearing they can feel the temp dropping, but I can't imagine they can feel a few degrees.
#JKJB

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 03:05:31 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Starting to see a change in the sunlight here in Boston at 3.05pm…like a cloudy day when it’s not cloudy

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 03:08:38 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Starting to see a change in the sunlight here in Boston at 3.05pm…like a cloudy day when it’s not cloudy

I’d say it’s 85% covered now. There’s a haze and I suppose a little change in sunlight but not much.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 03:21:11 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
That was pretty cool.  We just got thru peak here.  Sky definitely dimmed a bit but you couldn't really see anything without the eclipse glasses.  Luckily, neighbors were passing around glasses so we could take turns getting a look. 

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 03:21:52 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
That was pretty cool.  We just got thru peak here.  Sky definitely dimmed a bit but you couldn't really see anything without the eclipse glasses.  Luckily, neighbors were passing around glasses so we could take turns getting a look.

Definitely change in sunlight. And noticeably cooler.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 03:25:19 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Definitely change in sunlight. And noticeably cooler.

Still waiting on the locusts & rapture, though.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 03:30:42 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
Unfortunately there was a fair amount of cloud cover just outside of Pittsburgh. It certainly got cooler and darker than normal but the view was not great. Still, it was cool to see (97% totality here) in between cloud cover.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 03:37:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Very cool. 98% totality here.  We could have driven 45 minutes for 100%, but the roads were mobbed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 03:39:17 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
It’s noticeably darker than usual here in central MA.  Unfortunately I live under a rock and didn’t snag a pair of glasses in preparation.  Oh well.  ‘S what the internet is for, I suppose.