Author Topic: We still need a point guard  (Read 10988 times)

Re: We still need a point guard
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 12:42:23 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I agree we could use another ball handler and distributor.

Not Rondo, though. His defense is horrific, he's a poor shooter, and he pounds the ball. Sacramento was better with Rondo on the bench, just like Dallas, just like Boston. He no longer is a winning player.

He actually hasn't been a winning player for a long time. 2008 is gone and it's not coming back. TP.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Ask Rick Carlisle if he wants Rondo back.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 01:21:36 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I don't think we need Rondo, nor another point guard.

Definitely need another talented scorer/creator in the lineup. If Ainge can't land a big fish in a trade, a distributing wing like Batum would be a good backup plan.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 01:23:57 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123

Not Rondo, though. His defense is horrific, he's a poor shooter, and he pounds the ball. Sacramento was better with Rondo on the bench, just like Dallas, just like Boston. He no longer is a winning player.

He actually hasn't been a winning player for a long time. 2008 is gone and it's not coming back. TP.

Are you saying Rondo wasn't good in 2009 or 2010? C'mon. In '09 he averaged a triple double for an entire playoff series.

Here is where I think the negativity around Rondo comes from. After the changing of the guard, he PP and KG trades, a lot of us still really really liked Rondo. "finally it will be his team and we will see what other levels he can take it to." That wasn't a bad thought as he was getting better and better year after year. And then with no help he looked worse because he is a passer. It was a disappointment sure. I really wanted him to grow into a superstar that we had seen flashes of. But just because he hit is stride, stopped getting better, doesn't mean he has gotten worse. Or at least gone off the deep end worse like a lot of people on here seem to suggest.

Greece666 makes a good point though. the 4 and the 5 are much much more important priorities. I'm not suggesting getting Rondo instead of anyone else to help at the 4 or 5 (or a 3 point shooting help.) I'm saying if we can get a good 4 and a good 5 and we can also get Rondo we should do it.

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 01:27:12 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Can you provide stats or other credible evidence to support your claims, here?

Seems like such a sweeping condemnation of a player you once appreciated on here.

Sure. The Kings were 1.2 points per 100 possessions better with Rondo off the court in Sacramento. The defense in particular was better when Rondo sat.

There were similar results in Boston. The offense was about equal regardless of whether Rondo played, but the defense was much worse (by 2.9 points / 100 possessions).  In Dallas, the Mavs were 6.5 points / 100 possessions worse with Rondo!

That's three franchises, all seeing the same thing: playing Rondo had a significantly negative impact on their team.

Links, please?

And what about this:

Honors
2004 McDonald's All American
2006-07 NBA All-Rookie (2nd)
2008-09 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2009-10 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2010-11 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2011-12 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2011-12 NBA All-NBA (3rd)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01.html

So how valid is Avery Bradley's ranking?

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 01:30:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Seems like such a sweeping condemnation of a player you once appreciated on here.

Sure. The Kings were 1.2 points per 100 possessions better with Rondo off the court in Sacramento. The defense in particular was better when Rondo sat.

There were similar results in Boston. The offense was about equal regardless of whether Rondo played, but the defense was much worse (by 2.9 points / 100 possessions).  In Dallas, the Mavs were 6.5 points / 100 possessions worse with Rondo!

That's three franchises, all seeing the same thing: playing Rondo had a significantly negative impact on their team.

Links, please?

And what about this:

Honors

Respectfully, find your own stats. I'm not your gopher. Go to basketball-reference.com; they're all right there.

Please quit implicitly questioning my integrity by suggesting I'm posting inaccurate numbers.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 01:35:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Links, please?

And what about this:

Honors

Respectfully, find your own stats. I'm not your gopher. Go to basketball-reference.com; they're all right there.

Please quit implicitly questioning my integrity by suggesting I'm posting inaccurate numbers.

No one is questioning your numbers....I was simply curious as to how you arrived at your stats roy.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Also, he did lead the league in assists this year.

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 01:42:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
For the record - our PG isn't the issue.

If AB wasn't hurt we would've had a good shot at beating ATL.

IT has improved, I believe, at PG and I think he'll have the position locked up for next few years.

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 01:48:14 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton

Links, please?

And what about this:

Honors

I think you are forgetting forum rule number 4 "have fun." Also, there is no need to make disparaging remarks directed towards our gopher fans. They have just as much rights as me and you.

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 01:48:57 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
We have enough guards.  I like our guards.  We need a real scorer and some bigs that can rebound and play above the rim.

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 01:49:11 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Look, I know I have some on here that dislike - even hate me. That's ok.

I'm a Big Boy.

I never joined CelticsBlog to make friends or join Cliques but to talk and learn Basketball with like-minded people.

ANY player that has busted his behind in Green, left it on the floor (literally) played his role AND stepped up BIG TIME in many cases - they have a place in my heart sports-wise - forever.

Rajon Rondo excited MANY of us on here. I won't ever summarily dismiss him.

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 01:49:38 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I don't think we need Rondo, nor another point guard.

Definitely need another talented scorer/creator in the lineup. If Ainge can't land a big fish in a trade, a distributing wing like Batum would be a good backup plan.

Good one. I had not realized Batum is an UFA. He is worth considering. My only worry is that he will ask for much money (his previous contract was 46miil/4 years) and now at 27 yo he is entering his prime.

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
For the record - our PG isn't the issue.

If AB wasn't hurt we would've had a good shot at beating ATL.

IT has improved, I believe, at PG and I think he'll have the position locked up for next few years.

You may be right, I hope you are. But it seems in the playoffs teams can shut down IT easier when they can put all their focus on it. It's a double hit when your scorer is also your facilitator. I guess the easy answer could be that once we have more talent that IT will be the 3rd option and will be left alone more so he can still facilitate.

My point is say hypothetically we are getting one of KD, Melo or Derozen and one of DMC, Howard, or Whiteside and we have the money left over to also get Rondo. Why not? He would make KD or Melo even better.

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 01:55:51 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Look, I know I have some on here that dislike - even hate me. That's ok.

I'm a Big Boy.

I never joined CelticsBlog to make friends or join Cliques but to talk and learn Basketball with like-minded people.

ANY player that has busted his behind in Green, left it on the floor (literally) played his role AND stepped up BIG TIME in many cases - they have a place in my heart sports-wise - forever.

Rajon Rondo excited MANY of us on here. I won't ever summarily dismiss him.

I completely agree. Rondo deserves a ton of respect for who he was while he was in the Celtics. He is one of my all time favorite players, and his jersey remains the only jersey I own

That being said, he's just not the right guy for this team. I love rondo, but I wouldn't be in any rush to bring him back to Boston. Maybe if he wants he can be an assistant for us in the future, but not really liking the idea of him as a player on this team we have.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about