Will he be a top 5 PF in the next 3 years

Yes
10 (35.7%)
No
9 (32.1%)
He will never be a power forward
9 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Poll: Will Tatum be a top 5 PF in the league  (Read 4172 times)

Re: Poll: Will Tatum be a top 5 PF in the league
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 11:47:01 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

What's so funny
The "getting thicker" part. Apologies if it was a bit too risque.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 11:54:58 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Considering he’s a small forward, I’d say no.

Tatum is better suited at the PF position.

Maybe not now, but as he grows older and his body gets stronger, Tatum is the ideal PF in today's NBA.
What we're concerned with is now lol. He's still very much an SF. And even when he bulks up I'd prefer him at SF, the size and girth advantage he'd have over opposing SFs would be LeBron like.

I don't see the quickness and speed of Tatum as Lebron like.

Tatum's size and length gives him the advantage on some SFs, but Tatum can't keep up with the other quicker and faster SFs.

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 12:11:29 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Maybe not now, but as he grows older and his body gets stronger, Tatum is the ideal PF in today's NBA.
What we're concerned with is now lol. He's still very much an SF. And even when he bulks up I'd prefer him at SF, the size and girth advantage he'd have over opposing SFs would be LeBron like.

Tatum's size and length gives him the advantage on some SFs, but Tatum can't keep up with the other quicker and faster SFs.
Size wise only lol, but I think he'll be quick enough to guard those SFs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 02:26:43 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

For Kemba, Hayward, Brown, and Tatum to be on the court at the same time, Tatum must play PF.

I think the starting 5 will be Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Kanter.

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 02:54:42 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

For Kemba, Hayward, Brown, and Tatum to be on the court at the same time, Tatum must play PF.

I think the starting 5 will be Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Kanter.
I'd rather play Hayward at PF, he's strong enough to hold his ground against PFs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 10:06:56 AM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
I don't think we need to be hung up on Tatum's position.  CBS will decide if he wants small ball in some matchups and if he wants to switch everything.  A lot of time there is an immediate switch on defense based on the offensive set of the other team.  If a team uses their big (PF) in pick and roll and CBS decides to switch it can Tatum guard a PG or a Beal type player?  Can our PG/SG guard a big for 10 seconds? 

I imagine teams will use whichever player Kanter or Williams is guarding in the pick and roll regardless of who Tatum is guarding.  Is a team going to post up Tatum?  Who are back to the basket power forwards? Rebounding will be a concern if Kanter etc. are outside in pick and rolls and we have 3 wings and Kemba trying to rebound.   

On the offensive end Tatum will be a matchup problem for most SFs and almost all PFs. 

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 10:11:29 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
He has a shot to be a top 5 player in the league.
I think that's overrating Tatum by quite a bit. At this point he looks like a promising young player with all star potential. Top five? Not even close.

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 11:04:50 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If you built more around Tatum he could be a top 20 player as a SF.

I don't see him as a top 5 PF as rebounding, defense and shooting fg% is usually a big thing in judging PFs. I like Collins, Giannis, Davis, Siakam, Green, and Markkanen ahead of Tatum as a PF. Gordon, Griffin and Randle could be argued as better PFs as far as skill sets asked from the position as well.

Nothing is set is stone not saying it can't change.