Author Topic: Do other GM's cringe at trading with Danny? Do C's fans fear the thought of ....  (Read 5772 times)

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Yeah if the perception is that you've won a bunch of trades, teams will be hesitant to be the next team to look like fools.  At some point, though, your assets will speak for themselves.   If you want a potential high lotto pick and no other team is offering a potential high lotto pick, you can't really scoff at Boston offering you the Brooklyn pick. 

But I think it goes beyond just Ainge. Boston is really good at highlighting the skills of players and masking their flaws.  Our coach is phenomenal.   If a team is looking at acquiring a "star prospect" like Marcus Smart, it's easy to see his success in Boston and how well he's fit into Brad's system...  but if I was an opposing team, I'd be scared to death of trading for Marcus Smart.  Who knows how he'd look on a different team.  I'd be worried about taking on a guy like Avery Bradley too.  Sure, he looks great in Boston, but is an undersized guard like him going to struggle getting his offense in a different system?  Does he only look good on Boston?   So many guys have left the Celtics and seen their productivity vanish.  Teams could talk themselves out of trading for a guy who might actually be a great fit.  Olynyk, for instance... that guy could theoretically end up getting 35+ minutes on a different team and dropping 17 and 7, but an opposing team might look at him and decide, "Nah... he probably only succeeds, because Brad Stevens has the special sauce to make that garbage meat edible".   

So we'd be better off if Brad Stevens made our players look worse?  I just don't get this logic. 

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah if the perception is that you've won a bunch of trades, teams will be hesitant to be the next team to look like fools.  At some point, though, your assets will speak for themselves.   If you want a potential high lotto pick and no other team is offering a potential high lotto pick, you can't really scoff at Boston offering you the Brooklyn pick. 

But I think it goes beyond just Ainge. Boston is really good at highlighting the skills of players and masking their flaws.  Our coach is phenomenal.   If a team is looking at acquiring a "star prospect" like Marcus Smart, it's easy to see his success in Boston and how well he's fit into Brad's system...  but if I was an opposing team, I'd be scared to death of trading for Marcus Smart.  Who knows how he'd look on a different team.  I'd be worried about taking on a guy like Avery Bradley too.  Sure, he looks great in Boston, but is an undersized guard like him going to struggle getting his offense in a different system?  Does he only look good on Boston?   So many guys have left the Celtics and seen their productivity vanish.  Teams could talk themselves out of trading for a guy who might actually be a great fit.  Olynyk, for instance... that guy could theoretically end up getting 35+ minutes on a different team and dropping 17 and 7, but an opposing team might look at him and decide, "Nah... he probably only succeeds, because Brad Stevens has the special sauce to make that garbage meat edible".   

So we'd be better off if Brad Stevens made our players look worse?  I just don't get this logic.
I'm saying that Brad Stevens make Jordan Crawford look like a borderline star... so I imagine teams take that into consideration when Boston shops an offensive dud like Marcus Smart.  Yes, he looks great in our system, but teams probably hesitate to trade for someone who looks great in Boston's system... fearing that he'll bust as soon as they acquire him.  It's happened enough times that I'd be super worried about trading for a player from Boston.   Pretty much nobody looks better once they leave this team.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I'm saying that Brad Stevens make Jordan Crawford look like a borderline star... so I imagine teams take that into consideration when Boston shops an offensive dud like Marcus Smart.  Yes, he looks great in our system, but teams probably hesitate to trade for someone who looks great in Boston's system... fearing that he'll bust as soon as they acquire him.  It's happened enough times that I'd be super worried about trading for a player from Boston.   Pretty much nobody looks better once they leave this team.

All young prospects have risks associated with them.  The notion that flaws of Celtics players are generally more pronounced or make them more risky than those of other young prospects is ridiculous.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Most likely all the GMs are secret hand shaking gold ole boys who are all in an elite group together, there is probably not a lot of animosity between them regardles of trade outcomes. Though I'm sure there are exceptions to that..

Danny is a pretty respectful person who obviously has a moral code.  I doubt any GMs are going to boycott him or think he is some sort of snake.

In the last 2 seasons Danny has traded with Cleveland, Phoenix, Detroit, Dallas, Miami,
Golden state, and probably more that I'm forgetting.

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Rondo,  Dwight Powell, Thornton, all playing as well or better.  Jeff green, Tony Allen, Courtney Lee all are about what you'd expect.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

To say that Brad Stevens made Crawford look like a borderline star might be pushing it a little! 

Made him look like a potential starting caliber player...maybe.  This is hardly unique to Boston though.  Look how well Blatche played when he left Washington and went to Brooklyn?  He looked like a new man.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

All young prospects have risks associated with them.  The notion that flaws of Celtics players are generally more pronounced or make them more risky than those of other young prospects is ridiculous.
Flaws are less pronounced.    Generally, players play better here... our coach knows what he's doing.   Point is, a guy like Olynyk might actually look better on a different team, but teams might be worried that they'll trade for him and he'll end up being another post-Celtic dud. 

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Flaws are less pronounced.    Generally, players play better here... our coach knows what he's doing.   Point is, a guy like Olynyk might actually look better on a different team, but teams might be worried that they'll trade for him and he'll end up being another post-Celtic dud.

Its the curse  ;D Posey, Perk, The Big 3, Rondo, Baby, Crawford, Bass, House. I think only TA and Courtney Lee played better after moving than the last time they were here.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I guess, maybe.  But you've got to be confident in your own staff to be able to get the best out of their players.  Otherwise what's the point. As a GM, if you don't trust the coaching staff to do that, then you replace them.

I don't see Stevens' ability to maximize talent as something that would stop other GMs from looking to acquire players from the Celtics they are interested in.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Online heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I do think there is some truth to your topic. I think other GMs do think twice about a deal with Ainge....almost second guessing themselves about each offer.

Its been pretty evident as all the STARS are being offered as direct deals without the inclusion of Celtics - meaning that a trade like Horford - Howard - Dragic/Whiteside don't include the Celtics....which also may point to a fact that either our assets (players - not picks) aren't as valuable as we think they are...

I'm growing increasingly weary that a BIG deal may not go down before Thursday at 3.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
I think Danny scares Celtic fans more than other GM's.

He has done a great job at two things - putting together the '08 title team and rebuilding since that group moved on.

He has done a horrible job at two things - trades prior to the summer of '07 - then systematically killing the chance at a second title for KG's group with one destructive move after another, topped by trading Perk away from a team that was a very strong title contender.

He also treats his players badly, shopping them openly in the press and creating resentment.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce