Author Topic: Celtics 2024 Playoff Run Thread  (Read 13518 times)

Re: Celtics 2024 Playoff Run Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2024, 02:50:07 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I'm really hoping to see Joe play more guys this year than last year. Especially in the early rounds. Our bench offers a lot of energy in games. When the Celtics get up by plus 20 or more points Joe has a habit of sticking with the starters who tend to lose energy because they've been playing and they are up by a lot. The starters start to coast and I think inserting a couple of hungry bench guys could give us a boost. The worst that could happen is that the other team cuts into our lead and that usually happens anyway but at least then you can bring back in the starters who have rested and drive the score up again.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 03:17:56 PM by liam »

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2024, 03:55:28 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
I'll be offline for most of the playoff run as per usual - hopefully, when the dust settles it will feature banner 18.

Enjoy the games everyone.

Wait is it by choice or do you have something the next few months?  :o
Bit of both really - I'm quite busy (by choice) from now through early June most years the world isn't shut down, so I won't have much to contribute as I have next to no time to watch the games until... the Finals, essentially. Will still be following along as best I can with the results and the threads, of course :)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2024, 06:38:29 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I'm really hoping to see Joe play more guys this year than last year. Especially in the early rounds. Our bench offers a lot of energy in games. When the Celtics get up by plus 20 or more points Joe has a habit of sticking with the starters who tend to lose energy because they've been playing and they are up by a lot. The starters start to coast and I think inserting a couple of hungry bench guys could give us a boost. The worst that could happen is that the other team cuts into our lead and that usually happens anyway but at least then you can bring back in the starters who have rested and drive the score up again.

I hope Pritchard plays a big role off the bench. He is all energy all the time and this team needs that spark.

Hope Sam has a big game early in the playoffs. He had a rough end to the year and hopefully that didn’t impact his confidence. 

I know DW will get starter minutes, but I’d like to see him have a lead role in the offense more often.  When he is aggressive and leading the attack and teams realize they need to pay attention to him, space opens for one or more of the 3 Js and KP.  Translates to less JT or JB ISO and fewer lower % three attempts.

Want to see that automatic corner three from Jrue.

Maybe most importantly I hope they are aggressive defensively.  They’ve shown that they can shut teams down when they’re locked in - that’s demoralizing to opponents and game-changing.

Joe should trust Oshae, Luke, and X with spot minutes for breathers.  And not overwork Al in the early rounds if that can be avoided.

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2024, 08:52:38 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
The top 8 are going to play the vast majority of the minutes. Pritchard and Hauser will need to continue to play well. I think they will but you can’t know.

I can’t see the rest getting anything more than cameos. 

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2024, 10:27:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2960
  • On To Banner 18!

Celtics are *likely* Sunday afternoon or early evening. It'll probably be determined tomorrow after the East play-ins and the 7 seed is determined. I selfishly hope it's not an ABC or primetime game
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2024, 11:11:03 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
I ultimately still think Tillman is going to be functioning as our 3rd big in the playoffs. Kornet has had a great season and showed a lot of growth and improvement than even I expected. That said, there are certain matchups like the Heat where he's just not that playable. Against the more physical bigs he can get tossed around at times. Tillman can probably hold up similar to how G-Will did for us in recent years in a similar role.

The reality is, whether injuries or foul trouble, it's not like Horford and Porzingis can play all 48 minutes of every game. I do think Brissett though can function as a "frontcourt energizer bunny", like a guy who can hustle, grab boards and occasionally push the pace. They could use that when they go smaller.

Everything else to me feels straightforward. Pritchard I think might have found a slightly increased role than expected from a few months ago due to his awesome play, but it's primarily White and Holiday and Brown obviously.

Maybe Tillman will have a PJ Brown moment?

(The ultimate "No..No...Yes!" moment.

I really like Tillman, but Joe didn't play him much since his arrival.
This team needs Tillman's physical presence on the floor a lot of times, which becomes even more important in the playoffs.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2024, 11:12:34 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733

Excellent point.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2024, 01:00:03 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
I ultimately still think Tillman is going to be functioning as our 3rd big in the playoffs. Kornet has had a great season and showed a lot of growth and improvement than even I expected. That said, there are certain matchups like the Heat where he's just not that playable. Against the more physical bigs he can get tossed around at times. Tillman can probably hold up similar to how G-Will did for us in recent years in a similar role.

The reality is, whether injuries or foul trouble, it's not like Horford and Porzingis can play all 48 minutes of every game. I do think Brissett though can function as a "frontcourt energizer bunny", like a guy who can hustle, grab boards and occasionally push the pace. They could use that when they go smaller.

Everything else to me feels straightforward. Pritchard I think might have found a slightly increased role than expected from a few months ago due to his awesome play, but it's primarily White and Holiday and Brown obviously.

This team needs Tillman's physical presence on the floor a lot of times, which becomes even more important in the playoffs.

I have a feeling that that's as much to do with just familiarity with the system. There were a number of times in the regular season where he looked like he was in the wrong place, or not sure where he was supposed to be. It's always tough to be a role player coming into a team where every piece knows what they are doing.

That said, I suspect that he wasn't being played as much with the bench the last few games because he is being saved for the playoffs.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2024, 06:35:07 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I have a feeling that that's as much to do with just familiarity with the system. There were a number of times in the regular season where he looked like he was in the wrong place, or not sure where he was supposed to be. It's always tough to be a role player coming into a team where every piece knows what they are doing.

That said, I suspect that he wasn't being played as much with the bench the last few games because he is being saved for the playoffs.

How many full practices have we really had since we traded for Tillman? I can't imagine it was very many, so hopefully this week will get him more familiar with the system/his role and earn him some minutes
I'm bitter.

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2024, 07:15:18 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Celtics are *likely* Sunday afternoon or early evening. It'll probably be determined tomorrow after the East play-ins and the 7 seed is determined. I selfishly hope it's not an ABC or primetime game

Welp never mind. Game 1 for Boston is Sunday, 1 PM on ABC

I can post the full schedules for both conferences in a bit but it’s all released now

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2024, 09:27:38 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

The first week is gonna feel like ages, only 3 games in that span

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2024, 09:32:56 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

The first week is gonna feel like ages, only 3 games in that span

Buckle up then.  Finals don't start til June 6th.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2024, 09:34:58 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Welp never mind. Game 1 for Boston is Sunday, 1 PM on ABC

I can post the full schedules for both conferences in a bit but it’s all released now

It looks like games 2-6 (if needed) will also be on NBC Sports Boston so we get a few more games of Mike Gorman
I'm bitter.

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2024, 10:02:06 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I love the Sunday at 1 pm slot. Celtics are usually pretty good at the time.

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2024, 07:52:16 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
With the news that Butler has injured his knee, that is a lot of top players in the east that are out or vulnerable/limited:

Embiid
Giannis
Butler
Randle
Levine
Mitchell (some injury management)

The only healthy teams seem to be BOS, ORL, and IND (although Mathurin is out, not a "top" player, but a factor).  It is almost a little scary how well things are lining up for the Celtics.  Like, too good to be true or something.

I don't think it is a given that CHI beats MIA.  MIA is actually still favored (-2.5).  It is one game and it is in MIA.  Coby White won't get 40+ points vs. MIA.