Author Topic: Bulpett -- Celts and Horford Have Discussed Contract Extension  (Read 5519 times)

Re: Bulpett -- Celts and Horford Have Discussed Contract Extension
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 11:48:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Man that first year he came he sucked lol

53 wins and a trip to ECF? I'll take that any day over last year's team.

+1.   I think Al has been pretty consistent his whole time here.  His first year he was at 14/7/5 assists per game...I don't think that = suckage.

That and those basic stats do not even begin to capture his true value as a player.

I won't blame Al if he chooses to go elsewhere to try to win a ring.  He's obviously not getting any younger.  But I'd sure as heck like to have him back.
Yeah, I wouldn't hold it against him (unless he went to the Lakers - couldn't deal with that!). He's been in the playoffs every year and never made the Finals, so as far as I'm concerned he's earned a chance at a ring.

Hopefully we can provide it for him though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 12:36:46 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If it's a 3-year deal, what's a fair price to get him to give up the $30 million for next year?  $70 million? Less?

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 12:37:39 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If it's a 3-year deal, what's a fair price to get him to give up the $30 million for next year?  $70 million? Less?

would 22 mil / year = 66 million total be a slap in the face?
that could def help our situation.

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 01:16:54 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Man, I really hope he sticks around. We're likely in quite a bad way if he leaves. Plus, I'd miss his level-headedness
If Kyrie leaves, I'm kind of on board with Horford leaving.  Let him join a contender.  We could use the cap space to sign someone who more aligns with the ages of Tatum and Brown.

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 01:20:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Man, I really hope he sticks around. We're likely in quite a bad way if he leaves. Plus, I'd miss his level-headedness
If Kyrie leaves, I'm kind of on board with Horford leaving.  Let him join a contender.  We could use the cap space to sign someone who more aligns with the ages of Tatum and Brown.
We could, I'm just not sure who that free agent is

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 01:26:05 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I really don't see the point in Horford sticking around now, or in Boston wanting him back. Sure, he's a very good player, and a great leader and a stabilizing presence, but this team isn't coming close to competing for a title, and Danny has made it clear he's chosen to go with the youth movement, so why pay so much money to one guy who's not part of that youth movement? And I'm sure Horford wants a title, and he's no longer got a legit chance to do that in Boston. Might as well throw Robert Williams into the fray and really see what he can do.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 01:51:49 AM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I really don't see the point in Horford sticking around now, or in Boston wanting him back. Sure, he's a very good player, and a great leader and a stabilizing presence, but this team isn't coming close to competing for a title, and Danny has made it clear he's chosen to go with the youth movement, so why pay so much money to one guy who's not part of that youth movement? And I'm sure Horford wants a title, and he's no longer got a legit chance to do that in Boston. Might as well throw Robert Williams into the fray and really see what he can do.

You pay a guy like Al so his leadership trickles into the the habits of the young guys.  You can't expect Brad alone to teach them leadership.  You need a guy like Al to show that by example to a young squad.  It's kind of like compound interest, the sooner the younger guys learn leadership qualities, the sooner it starts to resonate and the better off they are in the end.  I get the whole "line up the timeline" of players but you can't go all young and expect a max efficiency team.  Any team in life needs an experienced, level headed mentor on the roster.

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 02:08:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Horford may like playing for the Celtics.  He may like his young teammates.  He may like Brad Stevens.  He may prefer seeing this through to jumping ship to another team where his role would be smaller.

For the Celtics, the goal right now is to see how good Tatum and Brown can become.  Keeping Horford around will facilitate that.  It will be much harder for those guys to stand out if the team's defensive anchor and offensive fulcrum is gone.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 04:40:56 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Horford was the team's best player. Not Kyrie.

He would be a huge loss if he left the team.

A devastating loss.

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 06:37:36 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
If Kyrie leaves, I'm kind of on board with Horford leaving. Let him join a contender. We could use the cap space to sign someone who more aligns with the ages of Tatum and Brown.

I agree with you on this. When Horford signs a new 3-year-deal then it expires after the probable extensions for Brown and Tatum. That would mean we'd likely stay (almost) capped out, so no opportunity to sign a big free agent in 2020 or 2021 (or after that). Who that free agent should be, I don't know, but to have that option is very important.

Otherwise our future is fully dependent on just the development of Brown, Tatum, (Smart, Ojeleye, Williams) and rookies. I doubt whether that's enough to build a contender.

And while Horford's presence has been great, he'll also be 34-35 in those last two years.

With what has happened this week the concept of our team drastically changed. While I would have been in favor of an extension for Horford with Irving and Davis on the team, it doesn't make sense anymore.

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 07:26:23 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If Kyrie leaves, I'm kind of on board with Horford leaving. Let him join a contender. We could use the cap space to sign someone who more aligns with the ages of Tatum and Brown.

I agree with you on this. When Horford signs a new 3-year-deal then it expires after the probable extensions for Brown and Tatum. That would mean we'd likely stay (almost) capped out, so no opportunity to sign a big free agent in 2020 or 2021 (or after that). Who that free agent should be, I don't know, but to have that option is very important.

Otherwise our future is fully dependent on just the development of Brown, Tatum, (Smart, Ojeleye, Williams) and rookies. I doubt whether that's enough to build a contender.

And while Horford's presence has been great, he'll also be 34-35 in those last two years.

With what has happened this week the concept of our team drastically changed. While I would have been in favor of an extension for Horford with Irving and Davis on the team, it doesn't make sense anymore.

Would we be able to trade Horford if needed, though? I wild think that Horford with 2/$40 or 1/$20 remaining would be fairly easy to offload if we needed to in order to sign a FA
I'm bitter.

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 07:30:26 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Horford if healthy puts us in the playff mix

without him , i shutter to think ,  lotto team

people just got to remember , Al most likely is not going to,be 100 % energy and be off alot more games because of age.

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 07:31:33 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Would we be able to trade Horford if needed, though? I wild think that Horford with 2/$40 or 1/$20 remaining would be fairly easy to offload if we needed to in order to sign a FA

Right now, yes. But who knows, maybe Horford drops off a cliff and you're stuck with him. If that 3rd year was a team option, that would be great, but don't think Horford would do that.

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 07:31:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yeah, if we're going down this road I would prefer to try and trade him as opposed to letting him just go for nothing.

Getting Giannis or Beal as a free agent would be cool, if we had max space :P (I'm joking - the Jays will likely demand too much money)

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 07:32:51 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Sign and trade with Houston for Capela..then sign Julius Randle...sign Rozier or Rubio...keep 3 picks..lets start young again

Capela
Randle
Tatum
Brown
Rozier or Rubio

Baynes
Williams
Semi
Hayward
Smart
3 picks
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,