Author Topic: Did Danny do his due diligence, should he have?  (Read 7810 times)

Re: Did Danny do his due diligence, should he have?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2019, 03:46:31 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
When you hoard your assets for one player and one player alone do you have to at least know that the player will not totally reject your advances. There has to be some intelligence that does not violate the tampering rules otherwise it is ridiculous to place your franchises fortunes on hold for a player that may not share your interest. Why did he wait years for a player that was never coming.

this is your guesstimate

He also loves Leonard I'm sure.... did you see him take the risk

He also loves Tatum and Brown and was not willing to give up either for even Irving

Tatum and Brown are still very young and under Celts control for years to come

giving one up for AD , who would have been likely a one year rental....bad attitude towards wanting to stay long terms and then having to deal with his nasty agent..... you come back to Irving type turmoil of last season once again

also immense pressure to guarantee a championship because if it doesn't happen, your franchise suddenly turns into the 2014-2016 Brooklyn nets

I am totally fine with the trade not going down. You do not trade your best assets for a definite one year rental. My point is why all that wasted time.

However, he's going to have to make his move at some point. Otherwise, the assets start depreciating into asses.

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2019, 03:48:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Rich Paul.

???

Rich Paul works for Anthony Davis, not the other way around. Anthony Davis actually hired Rich Paul. Rich Paul represents Lebron. Lebron plays for the Lakers. The Lakers need star power.

It's very easy to connect the dots.

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I have no doubt Ainge did his "due diligence." 

There were also other considerations: the inputs of Stevens and Wyc, for example.

Stevens does not value bigs as much as others. Maybe he didn't value Davis. And Davis gets hurt frequently. He misses games.

Maybe the money was prohibitive in terms of re-signing him. That could be a bigger concern than actually re-signing him. Hayward's contract is an albatross right now. And with Irving coming back, it might have been excessive.

Maybe he didn't want to give up all those draft picks he's hoarded, particularly for a rental.

Some of us view a dominant big like Davis as critical for the Celtics success. I doubt Ainge/Stevens share that view.

I'm sure they weighed all these things carefully, and decided not to throw the dice.

I doubt that. I just think Rich Paul's comments killed the trade for the Celts. The OP brings up a good point though. Shouldn't Ainge have seen this coming?

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2019, 03:55:35 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Danny didn't trade for Davis so he must not have done his due diligence is a false equivalent. Ainge did his due diligence and decided making the move was not in the best interest of the Celtics.

Ainge gets involved in just about every big trade that could be happening. Heck, there were reports he was talking to Houston, when the Davis deal was still an ongoing thing. Obviously, he was looking at other options, i.e. doing his due diligence.

You do not WAIT three years for a player that is not coming. I am not talking about due diligence he did in the last six months. I am talking about due diligence he did when he decided that it was Davis or bust, which if you follow these blogs everyone seems to think he made years ago.

“Hey, we have a chance to trade for Paul George next year. If LeBron ends up signing in Los Angeles next year, the Lakers three #2 picks all fail to establish themselves as stars, and your relationship with NO sours immediately in 2 years, would you be willing to sign an extension to play with Kyrie Irving, who we are about to trade for in a year? We kind of need to know now so we won’t look like we haven’t done our due diligence in 3 years.”

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:02:32 PM by mqtcelticsfan »

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2019, 04:11:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have no doubt Ainge did his "due diligence." 

There were also other considerations: the inputs of Stevens and Wyc, for example.

Stevens does not value bigs as much as others. Maybe he didn't value Davis. And Davis gets hurt frequently. He misses games.

Maybe the money was prohibitive in terms of re-signing him. That could be a bigger concern than actually re-signing him. Hayward's contract is an albatross right now. And with Irving coming back, it might have been excessive.

Maybe he didn't want to give up all those draft picks he's hoarded, particularly for a rental.

Some of us view a dominant big like Davis as critical for the Celtics success. I doubt Ainge/Stevens share that view.

I'm sure they weighed all these things carefully, and decided not to throw the dice.

I doubt that. I just think Rich Paul's comments killed the trade for the Celts. The OP brings up a good point though. Shouldn't Ainge have seen this coming?
Let's say, just for giggles, that Ainge saw it coming a couple years ago, or even a year ago, and decided not to get involved in trade negotiations. How do you think he would be perceived by the fandom with the fans wanting him to go after a star and there being noise in the media that Danny was passing on trying to make the trade?

Ainge obviously wouldn't be able to comment on it. Speculation would have gone wild and the fans would have turned on Ainge for showing no interest.

Instead, Ainge did everything he could to close the deal but decided not to do it because, the price was too high and there was no guarantees Davis wouldn't be anything but a rental.

Either way, people aren't happy and complaining about the guy.

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2019, 04:15:58 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Danny didn't trade for Davis so he must not have done his due diligence is a false equivalent. Ainge did his due diligence and decided making the move was not in the best interest of the Celtics.

Ainge gets involved in just about every big trade that could be happening. Heck, there were reports he was talking to Houston, when the Davis deal was still an ongoing thing. Obviously, he was looking at other options, i.e. doing his due diligence.

You do not WAIT three years for a player that is not coming. I am not talking about due diligence he did in the last six months. I am talking about due diligence he did when he decided that it was Davis or bust, which if you follow these blogs everyone seems to think he made years ago.

“Hey, we have a chance to trade for Paul George next year. If LeBron ends up signing in Los Angeles next year, the Lakers three #2 picks all fail to establish themselves as stars, and your relationship with NO sours immediately in 2 years, would you be willing to sign an extension to play with Kyrie Irving, who we are about to trade for in a year? We kind of need to know now so we won’t look like we haven’t done our due diligence in 3 years.”
As has already been said, that's called tampering.  You can't talk to players that are under contract to another team unless that team gives you permission.  And teams don't give permission unless there are serious trade talks underway.   

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2019, 04:20:38 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

As has already been said, that's called tampering.  You can't talk to players that are under contract to another team unless that team gives you permission.  And teams don't give permission unless there are serious trade talks underway.

I didn’t think my sarcasm was that hard to figure out? My point was that there’s no way to know what will happen in 3 years, so his point was absurd.

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Rich Paul.

???

Rich Paul works for Anthony Davis, not the other way around. Anthony Davis actually hired Rich Paul. Rich Paul represents Lebron. Lebron plays for the Lakers. The Lakers need star power.

It's very easy to connect the dots.

I just believe Rich Paul went out of his way to sway AD from committing to us long term.

At one time just a couple of months ago - AD simply wanted to go somewhere where he could WIN...

Now? He goes back to being dead set on joining LAL...

I love his talent but AD seems like one who can be easily influenced....maybe with the bright lights...movie stardom...who knows?

Winning and Tradition don't mean as much anymore.

Rich Paul could've used a NUMBER of things to sway AD from us.

I know if "I" were AD I'd be wearing Celtics Green right now and prepping for my first news conference in BOS.

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2019, 04:49:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
When you hoard your assets for one player and one player alone do you have to at least know that the player will not totally reject your advances. There has to be some intelligence that does not violate the tampering rules otherwise it is ridiculous to place your franchises fortunes on hold for a player that may not share your interest. Why did he wait years for a player that was never coming.

I don't think AD signed with Klutch until relatively recently, no?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2019, 04:58:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We were fine until KG - of all people - totally screwed us. This article is from Dec 2018:

“When Anthony Davis suits up for the Pelicans, that’s the best the Pelicans are going to be right there,” Garnett told USA Today. “They are capped out. They are playing at the top of the level they can play at. Davis with LeBron James — he goes to another level and that’s scary.

“That’s why he needs to go to a team where he has a chance to hoist the trophy or at least have a chance at going in that direction. He doesn’t have that. Great players need to be with other great players. He is still ‘the guy’ when LeBron is there. They are both ‘the guy.’ That’s why you bring your superpowers together.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/kevin-garnett-told-anthony-davis-straight-needs-go-play-lebron-james-040928936.html

It's like, dude, at the time, the Cs had a very promising team with Kyrie, Horford, a recovering Hayward, and lots of young talent. Why steer one of the best players in the game to the freakin' Lakers? That was nuts. We all know what transpired soon after this article came out.

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2019, 04:59:26 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I don't think AD signed with Klutch until relatively recently, no?

September 2018 was when he signed, I believe.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2019, 04:59:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
At the end of the day, AD could've Loony Tooned "US" in a year-------------

Who knows? If things go south in LAL he "COULD" be Loony Tooning LAL in a year - and joining US...LOL.

Stay Tuned. I'm not sure this thing is over.

Young and the Restless or Days of our Lives have NOTHING on the NBA.

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2019, 05:01:53 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I don’t know if he did his due diligence but sounds like the lakers front office makes rookie mistakes. Woj reports that AD won’t waive his trade kicker and the execution of the deal won’t be pushed for August which prevents lakers from going after max free agents.
Lakers also waived and stretched deng which eats $5M of their cap this and next two seasons. Deng salary could be used for salary matching for this trade... we have to be happy danny doesn’t make those type of mistakes

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2019, 05:03:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
We were fine until KG - of all people - totally screwed us. This article is from Dec 2018:

“When Anthony Davis suits up for the Pelicans, that’s the best the Pelicans are going to be right there,” Garnett told USA Today. “They are capped out. They are playing at the top of the level they can play at. Davis with LeBron James — he goes to another level and that’s scary.

“That’s why he needs to go to a team where he has a chance to hoist the trophy or at least have a chance at going in that direction. He doesn’t have that. Great players need to be with other great players. He is still ‘the guy’ when LeBron is there. They are both ‘the guy.’ That’s why you bring your superpowers together.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/kevin-garnett-told-anthony-davis-straight-needs-go-play-lebron-james-040928936.html

It's like, dude, at the time, the Cs had a very promising team with Kyrie, Horford, a recovering Hayward, and lots of young talent. Why steer one of the best players in the game to the freakin' Lakers? That was nuts. We all know what transpired soon after this article came out.

I saw that, too.

I love KG but all I have to say is

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I didn’t think my sarcasm was that hard to figure out? My point was that there’s no way to know what will happen in 3 years, so his point was absurd.

My point is far from absurd. Ainge fell in love with a minor that he had no idea would return the love when she reached the age of consent. He failed GM 101....held assets for a star he had no idea would return favor.