Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 76865 times)

Patriots 2020 Season
« on: March 16, 2020, 12:14:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thought with free agency and the upcoming draft that it's a good time to start this thread.

Some recent stuff:

Devin and Jason McCourty are both returning. Jason's option was picked up and Devin signed a two year $23 million deal with $17 guaranteed.

Matthew Slater is back with a two year deal at around $2.6 million a year.

Patriots used the franchise tag on G Joe Thuney. That's for $15 million for next year unless the team and he agree to a different number with a contract.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 10:31:33 AM by Redz »

Re: Patriots 2020 season
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 12:42:22 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Thought with free agency and the upcoming draft that it's a good time to start this thread.

Some recent stuff:

Devin and Jason McCourty are both returning. Jason's option was picked up and Devin signed a two year $23 million deal with $17 guaranteed.

Patriots used the franchise tag on G Joe Thuney. That's for $15 million for next year unless the team and he agree to a different number with a contract.
From what I'm hearing, the Thuney franchise tag means we don't have enough money for Tom Brady. Or we could be tagging and trading him too.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 12:47:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Some recent stuff:

From what I'm hearing, the Thuney franchise tag means we don't have enough money for Tom Brady. Or we could be tagging and trading him too.
Tag and trade makes sense.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 01:12:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
At this point, only two things are possible IMO:

1. Thuney is packaged in a sign & trade type deal, and the Pats get back assets + re-sign Brady

2. Brady goes elsewhere, and we keep Thuney to also protect Stidham (or another QB we sign)

I can't imagine any scenario where Brady and Thuney stay together at their price tags here
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 01:51:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I read somewhere that the Brady sweepstakes is between the patriots and the Buccaneers. Tampa would certainly have an intriguing offense for him to step into.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 02:04:27 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I read somewhere that the Brady sweepstakes is between the patriots and the Buccaneers. Tampa would certainly have an intriguing offense for him to step into.

Tampa definitely has more (and better) weapons for Brady to work with. Bringing back the McCourtys and Slater is great, but it'll be anticlimactic, and on a certain level useless, if they don't bring Brady back.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 02:07:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
What the hell?? DeAndre Hopkins got traded for peanuts. What is Bill O'Brien doing...  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 02:08:35 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
What the hell?? DeAndre Hopkins got traded for peanuts. What is Bill O'Brien doing...  ::)
Jesus, what an idiot. Awesome get for the Cardinals. Gives Murray a great weapon.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 02:10:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jesus, what an idiot. Awesome get for the Cardinals. Gives Murray a great weapon.

Man, Watson must be livid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 02:25:16 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Weird that all this crap is going on in the world and the NFL is operating like business is usual. 

It does offer a distraction but still. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 02:35:28 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

That offense seems custom made for a gunner like Winston. I'm sure Brady would have a very good season there (potentially better than Winston given that he doesn't turn the ball over nearly as much), but is it really worth the money for the upgrade?

I guess if they can trade Jameis away for something it would be a great move, but I don't see there being a huge return for him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 02:48:06 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 02:50:41 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1239623338265378817?s=20

I can’t believe I’m typing this but Brady to Tampa makes a ton of sense. Better weapons, good coach, and still have a ton of cap room to play with.

The longer the Pats sit on their hands, the worse it looks for resigning Brady. Based on their lack of activity on offense part of me is beginning to wonder if they even want him back.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Did the Patriots grant Tom Brady his free agency wish, because they knew his market would be virtually non-existent due to his age? Since the Super Bowl and the free agent talks began, it felt like the media was desperately hoping/trying to push this idea that Brady was the #1 target for a good portion of the league. This never made any sense to me. Why would teams that have young quarterbacks, who know their system, want to throw it all away for a 43 year old player? Brady had trouble getting on the same page with the players on the Patriots. How, in all of creation, will Brady instantly find a connection with a new coaching staff, offensive line, and receiving weapons? Will Brady have to learn a new system, or will the new team have to learn the system Brady has been playing in?

BTW, with all of the Coronavirus concerns and how it has effected sports, who's to say it won't spill into OTA's or minicamp. This could have a drastic impact on a new team signing Brady.

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Is it doom and gloom in New England? Can't keep both Thuney and Brady, huh.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)