Author Topic: Spurs (43-28) at Celtics (47-25) 3/28  (Read 59742 times)

Spurs (43-28) at Celtics (47-25) 3/28
« on: March 27, 2010, 09:26:04 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
vs
San Antonio Spurs (43-28) at Boston Celtics (47-25)
Sunday, March 28
8:00 PM ET
Game #73,  Home Game #36
TV: ESPN, CSN-NE, KMYS
Radio: WOAI, WEEI
TD Garden 

Coach: Doc Rivers
Average Age: 27.9
Average Height: 6-6
Average Weight: 224

Probable Starters

Rajon Rondo/Ray Allen/Paul Pierce/Kevin Garnett/Rasheed Wallace

Reserves
Marquis Daniels
Shelden Williams
Michael Finley
Tony Allen
Brian Scalabrine
Glen Davis

Injuries
Nate Robinson (ankle) day to day
Kendrick Perkins  (knee) day to day

D-League
Marcus Landry

Coach: Gregg Popovich
Average Age: 28.7
Average Height: 6-7
Average Weight: 224

Probable Starters

George Hill/Manu Ginobili/Richard Jefferson/Tim Duncan/Antonio McDyess

Reserves
Matt Bonner
DeJuan Blair
Malik Hairston
Ian Mahinmi
Roger Mason
Keith Bogans
Garrett Temple
Curtis Jerrells

Injuries
Tony Parker (finger)  out   

Team Connections
Doc Rivers played for San Antonio from 1994-1996
Antonio McDyess and Rasheed Wallace all were teammates in Detroit from 2004-09
Richard Jefferson and Brian Scalabrine were teammates in New Jersey from 2001-05
Michael Finley played for San Antonio from 2005-10 and was a member of the 2007 NBA Championship team

Key Matchups
vs
Rajon Rondo vs George Hill
With Parker out, Hill has been called on to run the team and has been doing a good job.  Rondo has been on a tear in recent games and hopefully he will continue his aggressive play in this game.

vs
Kevin Garnett vs Tim Duncan
This is a matchup of the two best power forwards in the league.  Both have slowed a bit but they are both still formidable foes.  Both have been playing very well in recent games and so this should be a fun matchup to watch.

Honorable Mention
Ray Allen vs Manu Ginobili
Ginobili is very important to the Spurs offense, especially with Parker out. In their last game, a win over the Cavs, one of the key reasons for the win was Ginobili outplaying LeBron.   Ray will need to slow Ginobili down while continuing his own hot shooting. 

Game Notes
 The Spurs and Celtics split the season series 1-1 during the 2008-09 season
 Ray Allen led the Celtics with 18.5 points per game last season against San Antonio
 Tim Duncan led the Spurs with 19.0 points and 11.0 rebounds against the Celtics last year
 The C’s are 5-6 against the Spurs since the 2004-05 season
 The Celtics are leading 38-37 all-time in the season series with the Celtics 19-18 at home

The Celtics have won their last 5 home games and are now 1 game ahead of the Hawks  for the 3rd place and 3.5 games behind the Magic for the second spot in the East.  The Spurs are sitting in the 7th spot in the West a game behind the Thunder and just half game in front of Portland for the pleasure of meeting the Lakers in the first round. 

Both teams are 7-3 in their last 10 games.  San Antonio has been average away from home, going just 17-17 on the road while the Celtics are 23-12 at the Garden and have won their last 5 games there.  The Celtics are going for their 3rd straight win while the Spurs are going for 2 in a row. 

In December, the Celtics won their fourth straight game in San Antonio, a feat they had not accomplished in nearly 20 years.   Kevin Garnett led the C’s offensive output with 20 points while Rajon Rondo added another double-double with 12 points and 12 assists.    The Celtics brought their tough D for the third straight night, limiting the Spurs to just 42% from the field and 12.5% from beyond the arc.   The Spurs last lead of the game came with 9:54 remaining in the first quarter with the score 4-2.  The Spurs were led by rookie DeJuan Blair and his 18 points and 11 boards off the bench while Tim Duncan added 16 points and 15 boards.

The Celtics will more than likely be playing without Kendrick Perkins for the second straight game and if so,  the Celtics will need to get some effort out of Rasheed Wallace.

Keys to the Game 
Defense - The Celtics appear to have returned to their defensive roots.  They need to continue to play the swarming team defense that we have come to know and love.

Focus
The Celtics have also regained their focus when playing at home, having won their last 5 games at the Garden.  They need to continue to focus on team play and establish home dominance once again.   

Rebound
The Spurs are a good rebounding team and the Celtics need to concentrate on crashing the boards.  The Celtics have been doing much better at this in recent games and need to continue to put out the effort on the boards.   By dominating the boards, the Celtics can prevent put backs and second chance points.

Be Aggressive  When the Celtics are aggressive in going after loose balls, taking the ball to the hoop and playing in your face defense, they are very tough to beat.  When they get lazy and allow teams to beat them to loose balls and rebounds and when they settle for jumpers and don't go to the basket, they are very beatable.  They must stay aggressive. 

Play 48 Minutes The Celtics let a big lead slip once again against the Kings.   Of course, this time when the starters returned, they held the Kings at bay, but against a better team, they may not have been able to.   Both the starters and especially the bench must come out strong and play hard without letting up.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:08:17 PM by Redz »

Re: Spurs (43-28) at Celtics (47-25) 3/27
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:57:38 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
BIG win coming tomorrow night. spurs without parker...espn primetime...lets get a win

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 10:06:38 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
This should be fun...two defensive teams going against each other. I hope KG has a great game [and Paul..and Ray and the whole team] since we have an active "Tim Duncan or KG" thread...might garner some more support for KG's group :).

Manu has been really good in the last 2-3 games...I hope we can can keep him in check. Lets go Celtics.

CELTICS HOORAH...CELTICS HOORAH...CELTICS HOORAH...1 2 3 Ubuntu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqxIrERLYiI

(TP, FL)
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 10:10:44 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Should be a good game.  Sorry I have to miss it!  tp
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
oh no, wrestlemania is on tomorrow!
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 10:13:26 PM »

Kiorrik

I'm seriously going to enjoy watching this one. Really looking forward to it!

Also, I love the community over at the Spurs blog, and will definitely be posting quotes from here to their game thread, and vice versa.

LETS GO CELTICS!!!

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
My key match up is Ray vs Ginobili. Both are great players but are total opposites. Ray is smooth as glass and Ginobili is all herky jerky. This should be a good game. Two veteran teams coming together at the right time with similar records. Go Celtics!

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 11:01:04 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
The game is on 3/28 right? thought i missed it for a second

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 11:03:54 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Yup...its tomorrow night.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

thanks.  fixed it up.

GO CELTS!
Yup

Re: Spurs (43-28) at Celtics (47-25) 3/28
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 02:09:57 AM »

Offline chief3233

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 8
  • Bleed Green
Need to get a big win tonight!
"The emblem of a warrior, it's the swagger of an athlete, a champion and dynasty, it's gifted, golden, genuine and glorious. It is a lower-case god. It's the goat. The greatest of all time. What's G? It is the heart, hustle and soul of the game."

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 07:55:52 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
It sucks that I can't watch it live! But I'm definitely excited for this game, and I'm looking forward for the replay tomorrow.

I think Perk's absence will really hurt us in the middle against Duncan, Dice and Blair but we have an advantage with Rondo and Pierce and we must exploit them. The bench definitely has to step up (and Sheed must play better as a starter), I hope Nate will be OK to be that spark that lights up the Spurs.

Quite worried about the Ray/Ginobili matchup since Manu has been absolutely on fire for the past weeks or so.

TP FL and let's go C's, let's make it 6 in a row at home and get another win against a good team!

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 08:33:07 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
No Tony Parker? I'd like to beat a team that's healthy for once.

PS. I finally found in the options menu the quick reply and how to turn off notifications on posts while I'm typing mine. Took me three years, but whatever haha

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 09:43:19 AM »

Kiorrik

PS. I finally found in the options menu the quick reply and how to turn off notifications on posts while I'm typing mine. Took me three years, but whatever haha
Hahaha, and you call yourself 1337? :D I found after like what, 1 year and a half? ;)

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 10:21:36 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

Hahaha, and you call yourself 1337? :D I found after like what, 1 year and a half? ;)

WOW, I didn't even know this option was available! I just clicked it in my profile, thanks a lot guys, TP's for you, this will clearly save me some time (and some frustration) when I'm posting on the game threads. :)