Author Topic: Kings relocating to Anaheim?  (Read 4949 times)

Kings relocating to Anaheim?
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:20:25 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Re: Kings relocating to Anaheim?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 10:27:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25603
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't see how the LA market can realistically sustain three teams.  The Clippers are already an also-ran there; the Kings would be in an even worse position.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:30:51 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Yeah, those were my initial thoughts as well.

Maybe they'll move the Clippers, too.

Seattle, anyone?  :)

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 10:41:32 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
What happened to the Kings to Vegas idea? 

Did the whole Donaghy thing as well as the image issues resulting from when the AllStar game was there recently kill this idea?

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:46:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The Anaheim Kings? Meh... Just move em to Vegas already and get it over with.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 11:40:07 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I don't see how the LA market can realistically sustain three teams.  The Clippers are already an also-ran there; the Kings would be in an even worse position.

Agreed.  They should go to Las Vegas, San Diego, or Kansas City.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Agreed.  They should go to Las Vegas, San Diego, or Kansas City.
Kings already ditched KC and the Clips ditched San Diego.  No team will ever be allowed to set up shop in Vegas.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 12:43:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1784
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Agree with everyone here - terrible idea to have three teams in the LA metro area. Vegas, Seattle, heck, even Helena would be a better option than another LA team.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Agree with everyone here - terrible idea to have three teams in the LA metro area. Vegas, Seattle, heck, even Helena would be a better option than another LA team.

There's a lot of politics involved. It's not just "would city  X be a better fan base than Sacramento." The Sacramento move is about more than Sacramento; it's a precedent and message that cities need to foot the building costs and portion of operating costs in order to keep a team. These moves are all about enticing new cities to bid against each other with public funds to woo flailing franchises and to remind current franchises that you need to really be planning ahead to rebuild state of the art stadiums that will draw corporate sponsorship. Seattle stood their ground, deciding that it wasn't feasible to build a new stadium; they will not get a team until they do so, even if it's a better basketball situation than an existing team.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 01:42:04 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Seattle or San Diego makes more sense.

Secondary note this build us a new facility mentality has to end. I love sports but heck its a diversion. Way more important things for money to be spent on.

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »

Offline Tw1x990

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47

Secondary note this build us a new facility mentality has to end. I love sports but heck its a diversion. Way more important things for money to be spent on.

I dont know. It works both ways. Having a professional team and stadium in a city certainly makes that area a ton of money in a lot of different ways. Hard to quantify the amount of money they make for the city and surrounding businesses, but I would bet its more than the stadium would cost to build over the stadiums lifetime.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 02:27:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1784
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

There's a lot of politics involved. It's not just "would city  X be a better fan base than Sacramento." The Sacramento move is about more than Sacramento; it's a precedent and message that cities need to foot the building costs and portion of operating costs in order to keep a team. These moves are all about enticing new cities to bid against each other with public funds to woo flailing franchises and to remind current franchises that you need to really be planning ahead to rebuild state of the art stadiums that will draw corporate sponsorship. Seattle stood their ground, deciding that it wasn't feasible to build a new stadium; they will not get a team until they do so, even if it's a better basketball situation than an existing team.

I totally agree, and frankly, moving away from Sacramento may be what is best for them - I just don't see how putting a third team in the LA area is a good idea. I know Vegas is most people's top pick, but I am not so sure. I think they should have the all-star game every year there, though. Seattle is the obvious choice, as the Sonics called their bluff and left for [what appeared to be] greener pastures in OKC. I think the judgment is out on that one until about 10 years from now, though. If Seattle gets another team, they are going to have to work for it, but a smart business man should be willing to work with the city, etc to bring a team to an area that really should have one.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 02:47:45 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

I dont know. It works both ways. Having a professional team and stadium in a city certainly makes that area a ton of money in a lot of different ways. Hard to quantify the amount of money they make for the city and surrounding businesses, but I would bet its more than the stadium would cost to build over the stadiums lifetime.

That used to be the theory teams pitched cities, but there's so much evidence (despite the intuitive arguments) to the contrary that leagues have stopped even arguing this seriously. The city always ends up net losing money if they fund a stadium. For some cities and their citizens it is worth it for the lifestyle/entertainment. for some it is not.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
I don't think LA will have any problems fielding three NBA franchises but I'd rather see the Kings go somewhere else instead. Two teams in LA is enough.

I'd love to see them go to Vegas.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 08:00:03 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136
An NBA team in Vegas would be a recipie for disaster.

I think there is some sort of law banning franchises from operating in Las Vegas, im not sure of it though, I may be wrong.

NBA Team in Vegas = Broke Players, Broke people, and a host of other problems. There would probably slot machines AT the arena, just like how there are slot machines at McCarren airport in Las Vegas.