Author Topic: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive  (Read 203156 times)

Re: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive
« Reply #465 on: July 01, 2020, 06:59:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Six players for FC Dallas tested positive inside the Orlando MLS bubble.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-mls-bubble-has-its-first-coronavirus-outbreak-and-its-all-on-one-team-165949911.html

See, I still think sports like baseball and soccer can resume fine here. There is some contact between players occasionally but for the most part, you can social distance even on the field. Same with golf which has restarted.

But hockey and basketball will be tougher, and the thing that complicates basketball is that, they plan to resume in a state which is basically a hotspot in the country right now (along with Texas). Not to say they can't resume, but the risk is greater with these sports than baseball and soccer. Even though the MLS is also doing a bubble in FL, they have a less risk than basketball of seeing a spread around the league and needing to shut down the season again. That's why soccer is happening fine around the world currently (though part of that is also because the world has its act together for the most part unlike the U.S)

Also, just my prediction. But I don't see any football happening this fall. No college football or NFL. Way too many moving pieces (players, coaches, family members, etc.) within each organization and in football, players tackle each other and make contact a lot on the field. That's just asking for chaos to ensure. And there's no way they can even do a bubble system similar to what the NBA is doing

Again, those are just my opinions on this. People can feel free to disagree or have different thoughts
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #466 on: July 03, 2020, 03:38:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The National Basketball Players Association and the NBA reached an agreement Friday on social justice messages that can be displayed above the number on the back of jerseys when the league resumes play July 30, a source told ESPN's The Undefeated.

Via e-mail, players were made aware of a list of social messages -- agreed upon by both the NBPA and the NBA -- that can be displayed in that space on the jersey during the first four days of the restart that does not include their last name, source told The Undefeated.

Players can have a first and second choice, but they do not have to use the space for a social message if they do not want to, the source said. After the first four nights, a player can still opt to have the message in that space but their last name will be beneath.

The list of the approved suggested social messages, per the source, for the back of the NBA jerseys: Black Lives Matter; Say Their Names; Vote; I Can't Breathe; Justice; Peace; Equality; Freedom; Enough; Power to the People; Justice Now; Say Her Name; Sí Se Puede (Yes We Can); Liberation; See Us; Hear Us; Respect Us; Love Us; Listen; Listen to Us; Stand Up; Ally; Anti-Racist; I Am A Man; Speak Up; How Many More; Group Economics; Education Reform; and Mentor.

Not my favorite idea, but at least the names will be back on there after four days.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #467 on: July 03, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Even with reports of sports returning, I should feel excited but I also can't help but feel a sense of false optimism. I mean, as crazy as it sounds the U.S is actually in a worse spot right now than when the leagues shut down their seasons back in March.

I credit the leagues for working to try and start/resume their seasons, but it just doesn't seem as feasible especially as more and more states see surges currently. Florida is literally a hotspot right now, and sports like football require tackling and close proximity with other players, and even coaches on the sidelines. Same with hockey though hockey may happen more in Canada so we'll see. 

I guess we'll see what happens a month from now. But I'm not as convinced these sports (baseball, hockey, football, basketball) will actually happen, and even if they do they'll probably be suspended quickly again. It's not just testing positive, but also being around those who test positive. For example, even if Lebron doesn't test positive for COVID, if he's found to be around someone who did test positive, then Lebron probably would have to isolate as well. And that'll probably be common around the league.

The Red Sox announced some players tested positive today, and Eduardo Rodriguez (one of their better pitchers) didn't test positive but he's isolated b/c he was around one of the people who did.

« Reply #468 on: July 03, 2020, 04:00:15 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

« Reply #469 on: July 03, 2020, 05:29:37 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Lakers assistant coach Lionel Hollins "red-flagged" as a health concern and will not join team in Orlando.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #470 on: July 03, 2020, 07:13:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Miami Heat have closed their training facility after a second player tested positive for the coronavirus, a source confirmed to ESPN on Friday.

The Heat will have players at the arena over the coming days to satisfy NBA-mandated testing requirements, but the team will not reopen the gym for individual workouts before leaving for the Walt Disney World complex near Orlando, Florida, on Wednesday, a source told The Associated Press.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #471 on: July 03, 2020, 07:32:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The people actually going to Orlando are dropping like flies!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #472 on: July 05, 2020, 10:30:29 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Baseball had a really hectic July 4th yesterday, and not for good reasons.

For one, Tanaka got hit with a line drive by Stanton in a simulation. Thankfully it looks like he's okay, but boy it was scary to see on video and then the tweets right after it about him being hospitalized.

And Freddie Freeman + 3 other Braves players, DJ LeMahieu + Luis Cessa of the Yankees, and a handful of others tested positive for COVID. What's somewhat scary though is, Freeman tested negative on Tuesday and was fine. But then on Thursday, he came down with a fever and then tested positive. All in a span of about 2-3 days and after workouts began.

The two Red Sox players who tested positive for COVID were identified to be Josh Taylor and Darwinzon Hernandez. Hernandez got tested in Venezuela and he still hasn't come to Boston, so he could be stuck there for a while. Eduardo Rodriguez (one of our better pitchers) is isolating because he was supposedly around one of the positive players recently.

Buster Posey also joined Mike Trout in expressing doubts about playing the season.

David Price himself opted out of the season. And I think that's a bit telling, as Price is considered one of the big-names in the league and has a reputation of that too.

« Reply #473 on: July 09, 2020, 03:43:32 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Big Ten moving to conference only model for the fall.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29435295

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #474 on: July 13, 2020, 02:24:17 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

« Reply #475 on: July 18, 2020, 11:51:27 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We can add Eric Bledsoe to the list of players who have tested positive recently:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29477770/bucks-eric-bledsoe-yet-join-team-testing-positive-coronavirus

He reportedly hasn't joined the Bucks in Orlando yet, so the NBA's bubble is still intact. He also is asymptomatic.

« Reply #476 on: July 18, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We can add Eric Bledsoe to the list of players who have tested positive recently:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29477770/bucks-eric-bledsoe-yet-join-team-testing-positive-coronavirus

He reportedly hasn't joined the Bucks in Orlando yet, so the NBA's bubble is still intact. He also is asymptomatic.

Bucks-Celtics play on the 31st, just 13 days away.  Doubtful Bledsoe will be playing given the quarantine requirements? Of course not looking like Kemba will play either.

« Reply #477 on: July 18, 2020, 01:04:33 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Bucks-Celtics play on the 31st, just 13 days away.  Doubtful Bledsoe will be playing given the quarantine requirements? Of course not looking like Kemba will play either.

That would be too bad, it sounded like Brad and the Celtics players were really looking forward to this game as a test of where they are at. Hopefully he gets cleared in time.

« Reply #478 on: July 18, 2020, 01:41:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Team sports for the most part is not covid friendly , but i can see baseball because of low contact , and out and able to seat and control fans .

Basketball just should be left along for another time .  Trying to force a season down our throats with no fans , not playing in everybodies city is too far from normal and just doesn't seem right on any level for me .  All i see is $  everytime i hear about them trying to have this season.  TV contracs and money ...all about that

« Reply #479 on: July 18, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Team sports for the most part is not covid friendly , but i can see baseball because of low contact , and out and able to seat and control fans .

Basketball just should be left along for another time .  Trying to force a season down our throats with no fans , not playing in everybodies city is too far from normal and just doesn't seem right on any level for me .  All i see is $  everytime i hear about them trying to have this season.  TV contracs and money ...all about that

So far its working out though for the NBA. They managed to screen everyone before entering their bubble in Orlando. They identified several players with the virus and are having them quarantine outside the bubble, and will test them before allowing them to enter.

They have a hotline to report anyone who leaves the bubble without permission, and anyone that leaves has to quarantine.

Its a really good test for how feasible this is for other sectors of our country going forward.