Author Topic: Timberwolves looking to trade #7? (Not verified)  (Read 21461 times)

Re: Timberwolves looking to trade #7? (Not verified)
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2017, 04:17:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Even AB+Crowder doesnt seem like it would get it done and you can only really do that trade if you are confident you can get Hayward even after trading away 2 starters for a draft pick which seems unlikely to me.
Well, if you're super-confident that you're getting Hayward and  that Brown is ready to start... I mean, Bradley and Crawford are nice but hardly irreplaceable.

On the other hand, what do you really do with the 7th pick? Strikes me as something you only do on draft day if you like someone who has slipped to 7th, a Jackson or a Tatum, perhaps.

I'm too worried about finding players to take Crowder and AB's place. Reddick would be a nice pick up if Hayward doesn't pan out. Smart could play some SG in the beginning of the season and hopefully Brown or Fultz would be up to speed after the all star break. Resign Green, bring up Nader. We might take a step back, but it could be two steps forward in a couple seasons.

But to get a chance at a player that drops, or some one like Markkannen for back up minutes, and snag Deing at the same time who helps the rebounding and rim protection issues. You take a chance. Bigs are hard to come by and if you can get two, you do it.
I don't think that's how it works. You're not throwing a max contract at someone who isn't a sure thing. So if you have concerns about "panning out", tip your cap and move on.

Pretty much you're either confident that Brown, Smart and Hayward can effectively man the swing spots or you're not. And if you aren't, then don't deal. That's all.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
According to rumors, the Wolves may be willing to trade Rubio to the Knicks for Courtney Lee.

A name to watch in all of this is New York’s Courtney Lee. There has been talk that the Wolves and Knicks could get together on a Lee for Ricky Rubio swap. It’s unclear if the Wolves would include the seventh pick in a deal, but the Wolves seem ready to move on from Rubio and the Knicks continue to be the team mentioned as a likely destination.
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-teams-seem-open-to-trading-their-picks/

If that's the case, IT would be a good fit for the Wolves next to Lee.

Do you guys see the Wolves having any interest in trading the 7th pick for IT? I mean, if they need some veteran leadership, can they find a better veteran leader than IT?

More importantly, do you see the C's be willing to trade IT for the 7th pick?

How attractive will Boston be to ANY free agent this year if you trade IT????????
All I care about in free agency is Hayward. I bet Danny-CBS have already talked to him and they have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen. If Hayward is a done deal (that's a big if), I can definitely see us trading IT and then signing Hayward.

I agree about Hayward as the #1 target and that we most likely know if he's coming.

I couldn't disagree more about Hayward being willing to play here without IT.

That makes LESS than zero sense to me.
1) Easier path to the finals (at least to the conference finals)
2) Bigger market -> more money for Hayward from endorsements / commercial opportunities ( all things considered, it's highly likely he makes more money here than in Utah)
3) The Butler connection

Not saying it's a sure thing, but it's not a pipe dream either.

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2017, 04:29:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
According to rumors, the Wolves may be willing to trade Rubio to the Knicks for Courtney Lee.

A name to watch in all of this is New York’s Courtney Lee. There has been talk that the Wolves and Knicks could get together on a Lee for Ricky Rubio swap. It’s unclear if the Wolves would include the seventh pick in a deal, but the Wolves seem ready to move on from Rubio and the Knicks continue to be the team mentioned as a likely destination.
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-teams-seem-open-to-trading-their-picks/

If that's the case, IT would be a good fit for the Wolves next to Lee.

Do you guys see the Wolves having any interest in trading the 7th pick for IT? I mean, if they need some veteran leadership, can they find a better veteran leader than IT?

More importantly, do you see the C's be willing to trade IT for the 7th pick?

How attractive will Boston be to ANY free agent this year if you trade IT????????
All I care about in free agency is Hayward. I bet Danny-CBS have already talked to him and they have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen. If Hayward is a done deal (that's a big if), I can definitely see us trading IT and then signing Hayward.
If Haywood signs it's to play alongside Horford and Thomas. Trade IT and forget Haywood ever coming here.

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2017, 04:30:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Given that he is under contract with another team at this time, they certainly haven't. Not to mention that opting out isn't even a done deal.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19345960/gordon-hayward-utah-jazz-decided-opt-become-unrestricted-free-agent
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Given that he is under contract with another team at this time, they certainly haven't. Not to mention that opting out isn't even a done deal.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19345960/gordon-hayward-utah-jazz-decided-opt-become-unrestricted-free-agent
Seriously? Are you really that naive? So what you are saying is they haven't talked cause the NBA prohibits it? How about they don't care and they have talked anyway?

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2017, 04:44:04 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I'd like to see them draft Isaac. A defensive combo forward who can shoot would be a nice addition to their roster.
I'd like to see them us draft Isaac. A defensive combo forward who can shoot would be a nice addition to their our roster.

FIFY 8)

Isaac would be a perfect fit for us next to Horford.

- long
- athletic
- good rebounder
- protects the rim
- defends the perimeter
- shoots the three
- plays off-ball on offense

That's exactly what we need at the PF position.
Is he a good rebounder?

Does it matter?

Teaming the Isaac of 3-4 years from now with the Horford of today would be great. Quantum physics won't allow that though.

By the time Isaac is ready to contribute substantially, Horford may have grey hair.

Watched FSU a lot this year, and Isaac disappeared far too often and constantly deferred to the vets on that team, like Bacon.

Upside? Huge.........but at least 3 years away.....great for the future if that is the plan, but can't expect him to help Horford in Horford's declining prime.
That's not necessarily a bad thing for us. I mean, he would be a very effective off-ball player on our offense.

Maybe....in 3 years....did you watch him in games this year? Looked lost.....a lot.
I thought he looked quite good defensively and thats all hed need to get minutes.
This.

Defense, rebs and making the open shots. He is capable of doing these things from day 1.
He's not especially long or have elite length. I get that he is athletic and has a high ceiling but I when going over his measurements and stats I just do not see anything that sticks out to me.

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2017, 04:44:48 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I was listening to NBA radio, and on their XM sports update, the announcer listed league sources as saying Timberwolves are looking to move #7 for a win now veteran in the right move.

I have no link, and I will try to update. I have found no sources to verify this online, so I apologize for that. But they clearly said the above on XM Nba radio at 1232.

So I apologize for no sources, but this could be interesting if this is the route we go with Bradley. Thoughts?
#7 for one year rental of Bradley? Seems far-fetched. I'd rather give them Crowder and try to sign Hayward.

My first reaction was to agree that this is far-fetched but then I remembered what the Thunder got for Ibaka. Oladipo + Ilyasova and the #11. What if Yabu doesn't want to stay in China next season and the Cs offer AB + Yabu and a future lotto protected 1st for #7 and can draft Issac, Z Collins or Markkanen?

T-Wolves could then move Rubio, sign Rose (rumored target) and have a nice backcourt rotation of Rose, AB and Dunn to go along with Wiggins on the wing and KAT in the post. AB does seem like a Thibs target.

If the Cs puled that off they could potentially draft the perfect future Cs PF. Issac with time could become the kind of versatile stretch 4 that is super valuable in todays NBA. The Cs would give him time to develop his game and his body. I think this time to develop with be super critical for him as I do not expect him to contribute in his first season.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2017, 04:45:25 PM »

• Ray Allen

Seriously? Are you really that naive? So what you are saying is they haven't talked cause the NBA prohibits it? How about they don't care and they have talked anyway?
If ANYONE finds out they talk or even if they insinuate that they talked then we are in big trouble.

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2017, 04:53:06 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I'd like to see them draft Isaac. A defensive combo forward who can shoot would be a nice addition to their roster.
I'd like to see them us draft Isaac. A defensive combo forward who can shoot would be a nice addition to their our roster.

FIFY 8)

Isaac would be a perfect fit for us next to Horford.

- long
- athletic
- good rebounder
- protects the rim
- defends the perimeter
- shoots the three
- plays off-ball on offense

That's exactly what we need at the PF position.
Is he a good rebounder?

Does it matter?

Teaming the Isaac of 3-4 years from now with the Horford of today would be great. Quantum physics won't allow that though.

By the time Isaac is ready to contribute substantially, Horford may have grey hair.

Watched FSU a lot this year, and Isaac disappeared far too often and constantly deferred to the vets on that team, like Bacon.

Upside? Huge.........but at least 3 years away.....great for the future if that is the plan, but can't expect him to help Horford in Horford's declining prime.
That's not necessarily a bad thing for us. I mean, he would be a very effective off-ball player on our offense.

Maybe....in 3 years....did you watch him in games this year? Looked lost.....a lot.
I thought he looked quite good defensively and thats all hed need to get minutes.
This.

Defense, rebs and making the open shots. He is capable of doing these things from day 1.
He's not especially long or have elite length. I get that he is athletic and has a high ceiling but I when going over his measurements and stats I just do not see anything that sticks out to me.
He has a 9'0 ½" standing reach. That's close to elite length for a PF. Being that long helps him a lot when it comes to rebounding/protecting the rim.

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2017, 04:56:17 PM »

• Ray Allen
I was listening to NBA radio, and on their XM sports update, the announcer listed league sources as saying Timberwolves are looking to move #7 for a win now veteran in the right move.

I have no link, and I will try to update. I have found no sources to verify this online, so I apologize for that. But they clearly said the above on XM Nba radio at 1232.

So I apologize for no sources, but this could be interesting if this is the route we go with Bradley. Thoughts?
#7 for one year rental of Bradley? Seems far-fetched. I'd rather give them Crowder and try to sign Hayward.

My first reaction was to agree that this is far-fetched but then I remembered what the Thunder got for Ibaka. Oladipo + Ilyasova and the #11. What if Yabu doesn't want to stay in China next season and the Cs offer AB + Yabu and a future lotto protected 1st for #7 and can draft Issac, Z Collins or Markkanen?

T-Wolves could then move Rubio, sign Rose (rumored target) and have a nice backcourt rotation of Rose, AB and Dunn to go along with Wiggins on the wing and KAT in the post. AB does seem like a Thibs target.

If the Cs puled that off they could potentially draft the perfect future Cs PF. Issac with time could become the kind of versatile stretch 4 that is super valuable in todays NBA. The Cs would give him time to develop his game and his body. I think this time to develop with be super critical for him as I do not expect him to contribute in his first season.   
They like Zach Lavine who also plays SG. ...idk how much but they like him.

I could understand the fascination with Isaac more if you think he will be playing mostly SF and some PF. But he is just not long enough to justify drafting him @ PF . Yes he is athletic and has good length(1'' more wingspan than Horford and 1'' more standing reach than Horford) but @ PF that length does NOT stand out.

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2017, 05:01:01 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

If ANYONE finds out they talk or even if they insinuate that they talked then we are in big trouble.
Agreed.

Who is gonna tell on us? If someone finds out they talk, Hayward is gonna be in big trouble as well. CBS and Hayward know each other since Hayward was a 18 year old kid. Of course they have talked. To put it another way, I would be really surprised if they haven't.

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2017, 05:02:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Yes, I quite naively believe Danny Ainge knows who Joe Smith is.

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2017, 05:07:37 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

They like Zach Lavine who also plays SG. ...idk how much but they like him.

I could understand the fascination with Isaac more if you think he will be playing mostly SF and some PF. But he is just not long enough to justify drafting him @ PF . Yes he is athletic and has good length(1'' more wingspan than Horford and 1'' more standing reach than Horford) but @ PF that length does NOT stand out.
that is more than enough size to play the 4. Are you kidding me? If he gained weight and strength(dont count on it) he could play the 5.

He is longer than Simmons.

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2017, 05:14:52 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Again, how about they don't care anyway? No one is going to know they talked.

We can't possibly know what's going on behind the scenes, but I bet things like that happen all the time. The way I see it, the Wolves just got unlucky.

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2017, 05:37:19 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Again, how about they don't care anyway? No one is going to know they talked.

We can't possibly know what's going on behind the scenes, but I bet things like that happen all the time. The way I see it, the Wolves just got unlucky.

No, most people in positions like that are pretty good about following the absolute letter of the law while finding ways around it.  There is ZERO chance Ainge or the Celtics have made any direct contact with Hayward or his agent, but there are plenty of third-party intermediaries that can be put to use.

Mike