Author Topic: Joey Crawford  (Read 10027 times)

Re: Joey Crawford
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I actually like Crawford, the techs last night were wrong, he got caught up and called too many. However, Joey is one of the few refs that will go into any city and call the game evenly no matter how loud and angry the crowd gets, especially in the playoffs. He has no problem calling things against stars on their home courts, and that is something I can respect any ref for doing, too bad there are so few.

The "goal tend" they called on perk was a crowed induced call. Good refs dont get caught up and go bizerck with T's.

I agree that was a bad call, but nothing worse than these guys make in every game. As for the Duncan incident, he screwed up, he knows it. I'll take a guy who admitted he messed up and is willing to call Lebron or Wade for traveling in the playoffs, over the typical NBA refs who just pretend they can't see anything.

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 05:20:40 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I actually like Crawford, the techs last night were wrong, he got caught up and called too many. However, Joey is one of the few refs that will go into any city and call the game evenly no matter how loud and angry the crowd gets, especially in the playoffs. He has no problem calling things against stars on their home courts, and that is something I can respect any ref for doing, too bad there are so few.

The "goal tend" they called on perk was a crowed induced call. Good refs dont get caught up and go bizerck with T's.

I agree that was a bad call, but nothing worse than these guys make in every game. As for the Duncan incident, he screwed up, he knows it. I'll take a guy who admitted he messed up and is willing to call Lebron or Wade for traveling in the playoffs, over the typical NBA refs who just pretend they can't see anything.

He missed that call on  barry right in front of him a year later, so badly that the league, which never sides against it's crews, came out and said it should have indeed been a foul and barry should have been sent to the line with a chance to tie it and send it to OT.

he screwed them out of a possible playoff win. seems like he's moved on to me  ::)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 05:36:53 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
joey Crawford is a good official.  I've never had a major problem with him and prefer him to Bavetta, Mauer and some of the others.

Sure he blows calls, but he would be the first to admit it. And remember that there were two other guys out there with him.

I view last night's officiating as "standard NBA."  Did the home team get the better of the calls?  Sure.  The home team almost always does. But there was nothing outrageously bad, and given the overall quality of NBA officiating, that's probably the best result that a visiting team can expect.

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 05:43:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
joey Crawford is a good official.  I've never had a major problem with him and prefer him to Bavetta, Mauer and some of the others.

Sure he blows calls, but he would be the first to admit it. And remember that there were two other guys out there with him.

I view last night's officiating as "standard NBA."  Did the home team get the better of the calls?  Sure.  The home team almost always does. But there was nothing outrageously bad, and given the overall quality of NBA officiating, that's probably the best result that a visiting team can expect.
5 techs on one team are not outrageously bad? What is?

And it wasn't a game where someone tried to lynch the ref, or where there was a fight on the floor.

On the other hand, Iguodala was making faces at the refs and waving hands after each layup.

You gotta give guys the benefit of a doubt, but Crawford has 2 strikes to his name. Maybe he calls the game "evenly", but he's vindictive and incompetent.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Crawford's a pretty good official for actual play, but it's clear he applies his own interpretation of the rules to a lot of his calling repertoire, and he's a downright awful official for getting personally heated and calling a ton of T's (see Duncan, Tim). 

My gut feeling about last night's game is that he knew it was a meaningless game for us and so decided he wasn't going to take any lip from anybody.  Our team has been pretty notorious for trash-talking this year, although it's been more to other players than refs.  I think Crawford decided to take advantage of the situation and got T-happy, as he's prone to do. 

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 06:44:06 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen

He missed that call on  barry right in front of him a year later, so badly that the league, which never sides against it's crews, came out and said it should have indeed been a foul and barry should have been sent to the line with a chance to tie it and send it to OT.

he screwed them out of a possible playoff win. seems like he's moved on to me  ::)

Who is worse, the devil you know, or the devil who won't call Lebron for anything?

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2009, 06:50:09 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Who is worse, the devil you know, or the devil who won't call Lebron for anything?

so its alright with you that a man who challenged a athlete to a fight in the parking lot and sat out the rest of the year with pay was the deciding factor in a non-call that screwed said players team a year later because you know he's a jackass?

i'd prefer stern start holding his employee's accountable for unprofessional behavior and p--- poor conduct, but i guess im in the minority.

as ive said before, there are many, many, many better officials in college and international leagues than the utter tripe about 5-8 senior officials in the NBA subject us too. If stern truly gave a care about changing his image with the casual fan from "wwe with a basketball" to legitimate officiating, he would have used the fact that bookies had one of his officals fixing games to clean out trash like palmer, bavetta, crawford, kenny, and salvator.

instead he decided to try to sell some story that "only" this one offical was taininted, and all the rest were great. which he promised to back up by a complelty transparnt process, which he has utterly failed to even attempt to initiate.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2009, 07:19:14 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen

so its alright with you that a man who challenged a athlete to a fight in the parking lot and sat out the rest of the year with pay was the deciding factor in a non-call that screwed said players team a year later because you know he's a jackass?

i'd prefer stern start holding his employee's accountable for unprofessional behavior and **** poor conduct, but i guess im in the minority.

as ive said before, there are many, many, many better officials in college and international leagues than the utter tripe about 5-8 senior officials in the NBA subject us too. If stern truly gave a care about changing his image with the casual fan from "wwe with a basketball" to legitimate officiating, he would have used the fact that bookies had one of his officals fixing games to clean out trash like palmer, bavetta, crawford, kenny, and salvator.

instead he decided to try to sell some story that "only" this one offical was taininted, and all the rest were great. which he promised to back up by a complelty transparnt process, which he has utterly failed to even attempt to initiate.

But that's just it, Stern doesn't care, and he isn't going to fix anything. We all know there's a major problem with officiating in the NBA and there has been for years. He is single handedly ruining the NBA and he doesn't care.

Knowing that there isn't going to be an overhaul of the refs in the league, I am forced to choose from what we have. To me the whole thing with Duncan was blown way out of proportion, Duncan was being a wise ass on the bench, and any one who knocks the stars in the NBA down a peg is doing something I don't really have a problem with.

To me the most important thing a ref can do is not let stars cheat, by traveling, fouling, flopping, and Crawford doesn't pander to the stars when they do it.