Author Topic: 7 Big East Catholic schools to leave conference  (Read 14296 times)

Re: 7 Big East Catholic schools to leave conference
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 06:08:05 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Pretty good basketball conference. I like the Butler, Xavier and Creighton additions. SI.com was saying that Georgetown isn't keen on VCU, which is a shame as it would enhance the league imo.

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Pretty good basketball conference. I like the Butler, Xavier and Creighton additions. SI.com was saying that Georgetown isn't keen on VCU, which is a shame as it would enhance the league imo.
yeah GTown pretty much vetoed VCU, but not Richmond, so if they add an eastern team I would expect Richmond.  I suppose Charlotte might be an outside possibility as well.  Dayton and St. Louis appear to be the front runners if they go to 12, but that would make 7 western and 5 eastern teams which would be odd for a 2 division format.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 06:54:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This conference is doomed. They will never get that big of a contract and if they do, the ratings will never live up to them. Schools are too small with small followings that are too small. What will a 10 team school generate, $4-8 million per school...tops of tv money? That will never keep those schools from eventually having to look elsewhere for a better deal and then that's when things get chaotic and you can start to see the writing on the wall for the end.

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 07:14:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
This conference is doomed. They will never get that big of a contract and if they do, the ratings will never live up to them. Schools are too small with small followings that are too small. What will a 10 team school generate, $4-8 million per school...tops of tv money? That will never keep those schools from eventually having to look elsewhere for a better deal and then that's when things get chaotic and you can start to see the writing on the wall for the end.
It will be less than that, I mean the football schools with their additions (which includes some solid basketball schools) were much less than that.  I'd expect something like 10 million a year (for the conference) for national tv, maybe 15 to 20 based on name recognition, but there is virtually no money in basketball.

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 11:48:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It will be less than that, I mean the football schools with their additions (which includes some solid basketball schools) were much less than that.  I'd expect something like 10 million a year (for the conference) for national tv, maybe 15 to 20 based on name recognition, but there is virtually no money in basketball.
Thats what I was driving at. Even if the new Fox Sports Network threw them some ridiculous contract the most each school could hope for would be a couple million or more. Without football programs, thats not enough to keep some of these basketball only schools happy long term while they are losing money. They will start shopping around for a better deal somewhere else.

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 12:36:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Xavier's president confirmed they will get 2.5 million dollars and that had been making these arrangements for awhile since they only get 400k in the Atlantic 10.  It is also reported that all 10 teams will split the pot evenly, so that would make the Fox Sports deal right around 25 million a year.