Author Topic: Which young duo would you rather have than Brown-Tatum?  (Read 3865 times)

Which young duo would you rather have than Brown-Tatum?
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I'm not all that good at this kind of analysis as I don't watch enough NBA basketball outside of the Celtics to develop valid opinions... But, I took a quick look at rosters and tried to pick out the possible tandem contenders to Brown-Tatum.   I tried to go "under 22", but ended up expanding to 23.  Regardless, the Brown-Tatum combined age of 40 is younger than any viable young duo.

The question isn't who you'd trade for but is there a young duo you'd rather have as your future cornerstones than Brown-Tatum?

Denver:   Jokic-Murray
Indiana:   Turner-Sabonis
LAL:   Ingram-Ball or Kuzma
Bucks:   Giannis-Parker
TWolves:   Towns-Wiggins
Knicks:   Porzingis-Ntilikina
Magic:   Gordon-Isaac
Sixers:   Embiid-Simmons
Suns:    Booker-Criss

Apologies if I missed any strong candidates or included any that don't deserve consideration.   

My under-informed opinion is that the Bucks, TWolves and Sixers are in the running v. Brown-Tatum.  The Bucks possibly with an asterisk because I would have included Giannis with any Buck under 23 as he is already a top ten (maybe 5) player.  Embiid-Simmons look awfully strong to me -- maybe the best if not for injury worries.

Re: Which young duo would you rather have than Brown-Tatum?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 08:50:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Embiid-Simmons and Giannis-Parker are probably the ones I'd consider, but they both have significant injury concerns for one player.

I can't think of any duo I'd swap them for without concern
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:21:08 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
for sure
Embiid-Simmons
Giannis-Brogdon (at this point I'd rather have Brogdon than Parker)
Towns-Wiggins

not sure/definitely worth considering
Porzingis-Ntilikina (I'm really high on Ntilikina)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:34:32 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:34:48 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
for sure
Embiid-Simmons
Towns-Wiggins

probably

I didn't include Brogden because he's 24 (actually, almost 25). 

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 09:35:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
for sure
Embiid-Simmons
Towns-Wiggins

probably

I didn't include Brogden because he's 24 (actually, almost 25).
If Brogdon is included ours should be Kyrie and one of Tatum/Brown ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think the Bucks duo belongs on that list as Gia is already in his 5th season and on his second contract.

That aside, the only duo I would place as definitively above Brown-Tatum is Embiid-Simmons.  None of the other duos have a secondary player as good as whichever of Brown-Tatum you want to consider the 'lesser' of the duo.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 09:53:05 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
@Neurotic Guy, gouki88

Fair enough. Still, I'd rather have Giannis-Parker than Tatum-Brown.

I don't think the Bucks duo belongs on that list as Gia is already in his 5th season and on his second contract.

That aside, the only duo I would place as definitively above Brown-Tatum is Embiid-Simmons.  None of the other duos have a secondary player as good as whichever of Brown-Tatum you want to consider the 'lesser' of the duo.
What about the Wolves duo?

KAT >> Tatum
Hate to say it, but right now Brown is a poor man's Wiggins. The age gap between them isn't that big. Brown is just a year and a half younger than Wiggins.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:11:55 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 10:20:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
@Neurotic Guy, gouki88

KAT >> Tatum
Hate to say it, but right now Brown is a poor man's Wiggins. The age gap between them isn't that big. Brown is just a year and a half younger than Wiggins.

Brown is already a better player than Wiggins.  Wiggins is in his 4th year, Brown is in his 2nd.  By the time Brown is in his 4th year, he's likely to be way better than Wiggins.

KAT is most certainly better than Tatum right now, but KAT has kind of plateaued. I'm not sure he's the mega-star people thought he was going to be.  He seems rather indifferent on defense.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 01:00:12 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
@Neurotic Guy, gouki88

KAT >> Tatum

Brown is already a better player than Wiggins.  Wiggins is in his 4th year, Brown is in his 2nd.  By the time Brown is in his 4th year, he's likely to be way better than Wiggins.

KAT is most certainly better than Tatum right now, but KAT has kind of plateaued. I'm not sure he's the mega-star people thought he was going to be.  He seems rather indifferent on defense.

You could certainly make the argument that Brown is a better player than Wiggins. Scoring wise Wiggins has the edge, but Brown has a higher scoring efficiency s far this season. He's a better rebounder, a far superior defender.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 01:11:47 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

No.

Just no.

In terms of on-court impact Brown craps all over wiggins at a younger age.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 01:44:52 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Hate to tell you, but 1.5 years of age and 2 years of NBA experience at this stage of development is an eternity.

It’s early, but Brown is in fact outplaying Wiggins this season.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 02:06:06 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Hate to tell you, but 1.5 years of age and 2 years of NBA experience at this stage of development is an eternity.

It’s early, but Brown is in fact outplaying Wiggins this season.

Got to agree with you. This is a terrible take. At browns age 2 seasons is an eternity. Look how much he has gotten better in the last 8 months alone!

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 02:23:29 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I know the debate about the importance of defense is like arguing between Democrats and Republicans on this blog, but people really need to tune into a Wolves game and watch Wiggins on the defensive end...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 02:26:25 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
@Neurotic Guy, gouki88

KAT >> Tatum

Agree on Towns.  Not only is he a poor defender, but he just doesn't seem to have the personality to be a number one option, despite his stats, if that makes any sense.  It's probably just me, though.

As for Brown vs. Wiggins, Jaylen has, by far, the better motor, but Wiggins has a tremendous advantage insofar as skills are concerned, imo, with the most glaring example being footwork.  That doesn't mean that I'd take Wiggins over Brown, especially because "Maple Jordan":laugh: doesn't rebound or defend and was certainly not worth that max contract, in my view, but you can't ignore Jaylen's rather glaring deficiencies, at least to me, anyway, not that that counts for anything, lol :laugh:.

Honestly, I'm quite impressed with Brown's rather accelerated development this year considering that he still has no midrange game, a sub par handle, and the fact that, in terms of assists, the dude is like the Hassan Whiteside of shooting guards, lol :laugh:. I do like his post game, as I've stated previously, but right now he's really just spotting up and going all the way to the basket for a layup, and for the life of me I simply cannot understand why teams don't try to stop him short and force the guy to shoot a midrange jumper, because he really struggles with that part of the game as of right now.  Just thought for food :laugh:.

I know the debate about the importance of defense is like arguing between Democrats and Republicans on this blog, but people really need to tune into a Wolves game and watch Wiggins on the defensive end...

You don't even have to go that far.  Just look at his rebounding numbers.  Wiggins is to rebounding as Brown is to passing, lol :laugh:, with the latter now going three straight games without recording a single assist for the second time this year :o.  Not one.  How is that even possible?  I thought that we traded Bradley ;) :laugh:.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:31:35 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 04:37:00 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Kuzma and Ball.....lol