Author Topic: What's up with Josh Jackson?  (Read 5269 times)

Re: What's up with Josh Jackson?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 12:13:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He got drafted by the Suns.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 12:51:26 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
He’s god awful. I can’t believe I started a poll two years ago asking who was better him or Tatum. If I remember correctly it was very close. Oh how much can change in two years.

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
He is bad.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 12:58:04 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Yep the Suns.  He has a good feel for the game, but he's a very poor shooter and makes questionable decisions.  He strikes me as a guy that will succeed as a swiss army knife when he adds weight/strength and gets better quality experience.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 03:04:18 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
He’s god awful. I can’t believe I started a poll two years ago asking who was better him or Tatum. If I remember correctly it was very close. Oh how much can change in two years.

Before the draft I thought it was a wash. I thought Jackson would be as good a pick as Tatum. I thought Jackson was a better two way player and he looked more athletic but I thought Tatum would be the better scorer. Jackson's game has yet to translate to the NBA...

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
He is awful!!! No matter who he play for
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2018, 03:23:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Jackson displayed very high BBIQ in college. I have not followed him much in the NBA.  His one struggle has been his outside shot. Great passer, open court player, he probably is struggling in half court sets.  I'd definitely be interested in getting him if the price is right.

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2018, 03:46:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think it's fair to conclude that Josh Jackson probably would have underperformed a top 5 draft selection regardless of which team drafted him. 

Great prospects find a way to show out, even on bad teams.  Devin Booker, after all, has managed to look like he at least has potential to become a really valuable offensive player some day (his stats currently, one presumes, are fairly empty).

That said, I don't think you can entirely discount the effect on a player of being drafted by an organization that is truly awful at developing young players.

I would say that both Bender and Josh Jackson were drafted too high, yet at the same time I believe pretty strongly that if they'd been drafted to better situations, they would probably have shown a lot more potential to be useful NBA players, by now.

I think Justise Winslow is a good reference point.  Was he a good top 10 pick?  Not really.

He's had a rough transition to the pros and has been,  overall, fairly disappointing. 

If he'd been drafted by the Suns, he might be struggling just as much as Bender or Josh Jackson.

Yet because he was drafted by a team coached by Spoelstra, he's been able to carve out a decent role and got an okay second contract.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Sounds a lot like Justise Winslow.  Some drafted players just don't work out.

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

You sorta read my mind just then.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2018, 03:51:09 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I'm also not buying the idea that Jackson stinks b/c of his team. I think he has clearly underperformed his draft status, but he still has potential.

The Suns are in a tough spot with Jackson/Bender/Chriss. If these guys blossom at 24-26 on another team, it would be just another huge mistake by this organization. They're in a tough spot.

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2018, 04:40:50 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm also not buying the idea that Jackson stinks b/c of his team. I think he has clearly underperformed his draft status, but he still has potential.

He generally hasnt played well, but he has shown glimpses of being really good and will probably end up better than an average starter. But the team difference is also drastic in this scenario - he and Brown would probably look different if their draft positions were flipped. Jackson does need to add weight/strength and understand who he is at this level before he can be q difference maker, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

The Suns are in a tough spot with Jackson/Bender/Chriss. If these guys blossom at 24-26 on another team, it would be just another huge mistake by this organization. They're in a tough spot.

Chriss is a rocket and hasn't done anything but I think he may have been injured a lot. I don't know really. I have seen a few of their games but mute always hides things from me.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2018, 05:06:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

sounds right to me .  Just want to add they might come out of their shell for another team , Front office and coach and different set of teamates and maybe even a more laidback fan base city. ....not NYC or LA especially.

i also think some guys just can't get their mind right on how hard they re going to have to  work everyday to beat the competition.,   where they were dominate in college , the NBA speed and skill level blows them away.....does a mind job on them. The way many people coast in high school and can't handle college because it is harder and they have to actually work .

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2018, 06:14:49 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I wonder if Danny would have taken him instead if he actually agrees to a workout.