Poll

Of The Current Likely Scenarios, What Path Do You Prefer Most?

Play Detroit, Then Toronto
11 (23.9%)
Play Indiana, Then Milwaukee
19 (41.3%)
Really Don't Care. Whoever We Face, Bring It On!
16 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: East Playoff Seedings and Preferences (merged threads)  (Read 12473 times)

Re: East Playoff Seedings and Preferences (merged threads)
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2019, 05:05:43 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Getting 3 or 4 is the only important goal. Which one doesn’t matter. Home court advantage in first round does.

That’s definitely most important.

I guess one other thing I wonder is whether Philly has a matchup edge against Milwaukee or Toronto. If they could actually take out one of those teams I’d rather play the other and play Philly in the finals. Philly has only played Milwaukee once, fairly early in the season. Maybe Simmons has the length and athleticism to at least bothers Giannis ...

Wait. Who am I kidding. Even if he does they’ll switch him off and Philly’s bench is terrible. They don’t have the shooters in their starting five and Lopez will drag Embiid out to the perimeter. The Bucks or  the Raps will handle the sixers. We have to beat both Toronto and Milwaukee on the road.

About to find out in 20 minutes as Sixers play Bucks on ABC today.

Maybe the Sixers’ key is Butler bottling up Middleton. Especially with Brogdon out, Giannis really needs some help.

Sixers are up by 15+ despite Giannis having 26/10 midway through the 3rd. As I said in another thread (the season one), when Middleton and/or Mirotic struggle shooting, the Bucks don't look as intimidating. And PHI is taking advantage from behind the arc with Brogdon out to injury.

So maybe we really do want the 3 seed. I’m not all that worried about Brooklyn or Detroit, especially if we have home court. Then if we are able to get by Toronto, we might get Philly in the conf finals with home court.

« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2019, 05:20:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Getting 3 or 4 is the only important goal. Which one doesn’t matter. Home court advantage in first round does.

I guess one other thing I wonder is whether Philly has a matchup edge against Milwaukee or Toronto. If they could actually take out one of those teams I’d rather play the other and play Philly in the finals. Philly has only played Milwaukee once, fairly early in the season. Maybe Simmons has the length and athleticism to at least bothers Giannis ...

Wait. Who am I kidding. Even if he does they’ll switch him off and Philly’s bench is terrible. They don’t have the shooters in their starting five and Lopez will drag Embiid out to the perimeter. The Bucks or  the Raps will handle the sixers. We have to beat both Toronto and Milwaukee on the road.

Maybe the Sixers’ key is Butler bottling up Middleton. Especially with Brogdon out, Giannis really needs some help.

Sixers are up by 15+ despite Giannis having 26/10 midway through the 3rd. As I said in another thread (the season one), when Middleton and/or Mirotic struggle shooting, the Bucks don't look as intimidating. And PHI is taking advantage from behind the arc with Brogdon out to injury.

So maybe we really do want the 3 seed. I’m not all that worried about Brooklyn or Detroit, especially if we have home court. Then if we are able to get by Toronto, we might get Philly in the conf finals with home court.

No we want the 4 seed. If we have to face TOR before the ECF, we aren't making it to the ECF in all likelihood. TOR scares me more than MIL.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

No we want the 4 seed. If we have to face TOR before the ECF, we aren't making it to the ECF in all likelihood. TOR scares me more than MIL.

If Philly holds on today, the #1 seed is in play for Toronto.  Bucks look to have a slightly easier schedule the rest of the way, but with 2 games separating in the loss column, today's seeding preferences for the C's may be in disarray.

« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2019, 06:21:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Pacers lost last night too. I think we'll end up passing them to get to the 4th seed, and that's where we'll stay. It's our best case scenario. With that said, the C's are really playing a dangerous game thinking they can simply "flip the script" from the end of the regular season to the playoffs. The goal is probably to just get through these last 3-4 weeks and stay as healthy as possible.

Wyc is right, this team is capable of making the Finals, or losing in the 1st round. No one knows what'll happen but I guess that's what will also make this year's playoffs exciting especially if they can figure things out.

« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2019, 10:53:09 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I believe the best realistic scenario for us is

1) Bucks
2/3) Raptors/Philly
4) Celtics
5) Pacers

Farm the Pacers round 1 then play the Bucks, who I think are a very beatable 1 seed. Even if we're 5 and Pacers are 4, it's still the same thing. I don't see the Pacers or Bucks picking up more than 2 games vs us.

« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2019, 06:30:22 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Pacers lost last night too. I think we'll end up passing them to get to the 4th seed, and that's where we'll stay. It's our best case scenario. With that said, the C's are really playing a dangerous game thinking they can simply "flip the script" from the end of the regular season to the playoffs. The goal is probably to just get through these last 3-4 weeks and stay as healthy as possible.

Wyc is right, this team is capable of making the Finals, or losing in the 1st round. No one knows what'll happen but I guess that's what will also make this year's playoffs exciting especially if they can figure things out.

Kyrie stated today that he plans to rest some games along with Horford. You would think the C's can at least finish 4th.

« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2019, 06:57:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Kyrie stated today that he plans to rest some games along with Horford. You would think the C's can at least finish 4th.

It's no big deal. Let Horford and Kyrie rest in some games like those against Cleveland, but play them against the Pacers and tonight (Sixers).

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2019, 11:08:33 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I would rather face the Pacers and Bucks. Toronto is going to put Philly out in 6

I think we can get by the Pacers in 6 and the Bucks in 6. We need everyone playing their best though.

Philly can't beat the Celtics
Bucks can't beat the Celtics
Toronto can beat the Celtics
Pacers can beat Philly

« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

1) Bucks
2/3) Raptors/Philly
4) Celtics
5) Pacers

Farm the Pacers round 1 then play the Bucks, who I think are a very beatable 1 seed. Even if we're 5 and Pacers are 4, it's still the same thing. I don't see the Pacers or Bucks picking up more than 2 games vs us.

I don't take anything for granted. There must be a reason why Indy is still hunt and it's because they're alot tougher than we are giving them credit for (sans Oladipo.)

I'd like to at least see what we're up against when we play them next Friday, because they may not be quite as easy to defeat as we all think.

« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2019, 11:48:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

1) Bucks
2/3) Raptors/Philly
4) Celtics
5) Pacers

I don't take anything for granted. There must be a reason why Indy is still hunt and it's because they're alot tougher than we are giving them credit for (sans Oladipo.)

I'd like to at least see what we're up against when we play them next Friday, because they may not be quite as easy to defeat as we all think.
Indiana, like the Clippers, is a very deep team, which helps during the regular season, but come playoff time that advantage is lost and they won't be an issue for any real contender.  And let's be clear the Pacers are 25-11 with Oladipo.  They were 7-4 in the 11 games he missed earlier in the year, so when Oladipo went down the Pacers were 32-15, they are just 12-13 since he got hurt. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2019, 10:56:50 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

1) Bucks
2/3) Raptors/Philly
4) Celtics
5) Pacers

Indiana, like the Clippers, is a very deep team, which helps during the regular season, but come playoff time that advantage is lost and they won't be an issue for any real contender.  And let's be clear the Pacers are 25-11 with Oladipo.  They were 7-4 in the 11 games he missed earlier in the year, so when Oladipo went down the Pacers were 32-15, they are just 12-13 since he got hurt.

So why is Indiana currently one game ahead of us in the standings?

« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2019, 11:34:39 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
Avoid Toronto they are the best team in the playoffs Kawhi is so dangerous there's really no way to contain him he kills us on both ends of the floor best case scenario ZaZa takes him out again... joking lol I really hope every team in healthy and we have a great Eastern conference playoffs first time in a decade no Lebron it should be very entertaining.

« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2019, 11:56:35 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

1) Bucks
2/3) Raptors/Philly
4) Celtics
5) Pacers

Indiana this season reminds me of Boston last season, they lost their No.1 player but they've all stepped up and are playing for each other. Everyone is writing them off, there's zero expectation on them. Teams are dangerous when they are considered to be no-hopers.

Probably fans from other teams were looking at us when we lost Hayward, then Kyrie, then had injuries to Brown during our run last season and wondering when we were going to fold.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2019, 12:34:32 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

1) Bucks
2/3) Raptors/Philly
4) Celtics
5) Pacers

Indiana this season reminds me of Boston last season, they lost their No.1 player but they've all stepped up and are playing for each other. Everyone is writing them off, there's zero expectation on them. Teams are dangerous when they are considered to be no-hopers.

Probably fans from other teams were looking at us when we lost Hayward, then Kyrie, then had injuries to Brown during our run last season and wondering when we were going to fold.

Pacers are kind of collapsing. They are about to lose for I think the 7th time in 10 games and are currently down 30 some to the warriors. I get they stayed afloat for a while after oladipo went down, but i feel like people are not even following them the last 3 weeks.

« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2019, 01:19:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

1) Bucks
2/3) Raptors/Philly
4) Celtics
5) Pacers

Pacers are kind of collapsing. They are about to lose for I think the 7th time in 10 games and are currently down 30 some to the warriors. I get they stayed afloat for a while after oladipo went down, but i feel like people are not even following them the last 3 weeks.
Tbh they're a pretty bad matchup for us, I'm not confident that Morris-Horford can contain Sabonis-Turner. We need Baynes to return, or sign a vet who can give us some muscle inside.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA