Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 343146 times)

Re: In an AD deal, the Pels preferred centerpiece is still Tatum... right?
« Reply #2220 on: April 29, 2019, 04:47:45 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I suspect that the Pelicans would prefer Tatum and the Celtics will prefer Brown, but Danny is going to use "giving up" Tatum to gain leverage to remove some picks from the package.

« Reply #2221 on: April 29, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Also, Brown and Jrue Holiday are kinda redundant while Tatum brings different skills that New Orleans doesn't have. If the trade is Tatum, Smart and parts New Orleans can roll into a starting lineup with:

Smart
Holiday
Tatum
Randle
And a center.

Maybe they ask for Williamsato be thier center or bring back Okafor. Don't know, but a core of Smart, Holiday, Tatum and Randle is pretty nice to have.

« Reply #2222 on: April 29, 2019, 04:56:13 PM »

Offline drooldaddy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I expect that the Pels will first ask for both JB and JT. Unfortunately we’d have to do more to make the money work.

If we could have gotten away with the 2 Js and nothing else for Davis I’d give it serious thought.

« Reply #2223 on: April 29, 2019, 04:57:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Also, Brown and Jrue Holiday are kinda redundant while Tatum brings different skills that New Orleans doesn't have. If the trade is Tatum, Smart and parts New Orleans can roll into a starting lineup with:

Smart
Holiday
Tatum
Randle
And a center.

Maybe they ask for Williamsato be thier center or bring back Okafor. Don't know, but a core of Smart, Holiday, Tatum and Randle is pretty nice to have.
I've always thought NO would ask for Williams as part of the package for just that reason.  it's not a bad line-up and they'll be adding their own high lottery pick to that roster too.

I think a lot of this package is going to come down to whether AD is at least open to resigning with the C's.  if he's not, I'd have to think Danny backs away from the deal and rolls with who we already have which is a pretty formidable roster with 3-4 first rounders this year to add to it.

« Reply #2224 on: April 29, 2019, 05:15:43 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
My guess is Tatum for his go-to scorer potential, efficient or not. Scoring = more marketable.

« Reply #2225 on: April 29, 2019, 05:18:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A Smart / Jrue backcourt would be so fun to watch defensively.

I think that Tatum is a go-to scorer and an offensive centerpiece.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2226 on: April 29, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I still think they'd prefer Tatum. This is not a knock on Jaylen, but I think Tatum would do extremely well and have a higher ceiling being a 1st or 2nd option on a team. Jaylen I don't think is capable of being an alpha on a team, IMHO.

They are both playing well enough that NO had no business demanding both JB and JT, at least I'd hope so.  But are we certain that if Jaylen continues to play like this, that Tatum will still be the player NO covets most? 

Considering AD is a rental, there's no way the Pelicans get BOTH JB + JT. Not a chance.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2227 on: April 29, 2019, 06:32:09 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Tatum also has two years left on his rookie contract versus one for Brown.   

« Reply #2228 on: April 29, 2019, 06:36:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I still think they'd prefer Tatum. This is not a knock on Jaylen, but I think Tatum would do extremely well and have a higher ceiling being a 1st or 2nd option on a team. Jaylen I don't think is capable of being an alpha on a team, IMHO.

They are both playing well enough that NO had no business demanding both JB and JT, at least I'd hope so.  But are we certain that if Jaylen continues to play like this, that Tatum will still be the player NO covets most? 

Considering AD is a rental, there's no way the Pelicans get BOTH JB + JT. Not a chance.
You keep saying that Davis will be just a rental but that isn't true. Davis does have only a year left on his contract but that doesn't mean its 100% sure he will go elsewhere after that year.

If a trade is completed with New Orleans, my guess is Ainge will be almost certain that he will be able to get Davis to sign on for more years. If the trade doesn't happen, IMO, it will be because Ainge didn't think he could keep Davis long term so didn't make the trade.

Poll: As Of April 29th, Where Are We Regarding Anthony Davis For This Summer?
« Reply #2229 on: April 29, 2019, 06:41:22 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
We're obviously still in the playoffs and hopefully we can go on a deep run (even make it to the Finals).

But this will also be a HUGE summer in the NBA, and that's true for our team as well with Kyrie, Rozier and Morris being our key FAs and of course, Anthony Davis potentially being on the trade block this June/July.

I'm just curious to know where people are at regarding Anthony Davis at this time. Are people still dreaming of AD this summer, or do we like the team as is and want to make additions in other ways to this current core? What if we happen to reach the Finals and/or win the whole thing, does that change things?

I'm personally going to wait until we see how the C's finish these playoffs (lose to MIL? TOR/PHI? Or reach Finals?) before thinking about the future and how we approach a potential AD trade/trade offer.

« Reply #2230 on: April 29, 2019, 06:44:52 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

You keep saying that Davis will be just a rental but that isn't true. Davis does have only a year left on his contract but that doesn't mean its 100% sure he will go elsewhere after that year.

If a trade is completed with New Orleans, my guess is Ainge will be almost certain that he will be able to get Davis to sign on for more years. If the trade doesn't happen, IMO, it will be because Ainge didn't think he could keep Davis long term so didn't make the trade.

I'm looking at it as a risk factor. Like you said:

If the trade doesn't happen, IMO, it will be because Ainge didn't think he could keep Davis long term so didn't make the trade.

Knowing Ainge and as many have noted, he could still gamble and trade for AD using one of Brown/Tatum. But both? Highly doubt it. In that case, Ainge would have to be 100% certain AD was signing an extension here, and even then he may hesitate giving up both.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Can we stop with these threads until we have been knocked out of or have won the playoffs?

We have discussed this topic enough I'd say.
Can we please have a break and just enjoy basketball?

« Reply #2232 on: April 29, 2019, 06:49:20 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Griffin and NOH would be foolish to accept anything LESS than Tatum, Brown, Smart and picks.

C'mon now we're talking about a top 5-10 player in the NBA.

We're sipping the green Kool-Aid if we think NOH is not going to clean BOS' house.

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Can we stop with these threads until we have been knocked out of or have won the playoffs?

I am with this too...

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

That's fine with me. I was just bored.  :P

Mods can lock this or delete if they want.