Author Topic: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive  (Read 204804 times)

Re: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive
« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2020, 10:44:04 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The reason for the delay is probably because it was done through a private lab. Private labs in Massachusetts take between 3-7 days to get your results back. State and federal labs are much faster.

This is not necessarily true.  I have two friends in MA who received the test on Saturday.  One was a presumed positive (symptomatic and exposure to confirmed Biogen cases), the other a healthcare worker.  My friend with Biogen exposure got his through a private lab, and learned he was negative on Tuesday.  My friend who is a health care worker had to get hers tested by the state — she is feeling better but is still quarantined, having yet to learn her results almost a week later.

Totally anecdotal, but enough to convince me that state labs are not necessarily quicker than private labs, at least in MA.

« Reply #361 on: March 20, 2020, 11:08:38 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
The reason for the delay is probably because it was done through a private lab. Private labs in Massachusetts take between 3-7 days to get your results back. State and federal labs are much faster.

This is not necessarily true.  I have two friends in MA who received the test on Saturday.  One was a presumed positive (symptomatic and exposure to confirmed Biogen cases), the other a healthcare worker.  My friend with Biogen exposure got his through a private lab, and learned he was negative on Tuesday.  My friend who is a health care worker had to get hers tested by the state — she is feeling better but is still quarantined, having yet to learn her results almost a week later.

Totally anecdotal, but enough to convince me that state labs are not necessarily quicker than private labs, at least in MA.

Agreed.  The real distinction is which type of test kit & methodology is being used.  The states and fed are not all using just one method and neither are private labs.    Really, everyone is using whatever testing they can get their hands on.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #362 on: March 20, 2020, 11:31:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Agreed.  The real distinction is which type of test kit & methodology is being used.  The states and fed are not all using just one method and neither are private labs.    Really, everyone is using whatever testing they can get their hands on.
My information might be older but there were definitely delays in results for private testing just last week.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1156006

« Reply #363 on: March 20, 2020, 12:11:20 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1490

My information might be older but there were definitely delays in results for private testing just last week.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy at this point, but didn't the Celtics announce no Celtics were infected just a day or so after the NBA suspended the season?
If that was the case, why would they announce that if they didn't get the tests back yet?

Is there a chance that they were tested, and got the negative results back, but the guys who were positive weren't showing up in tests yet and they continued to test?

« Reply #364 on: March 20, 2020, 01:09:01 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2538

So -- just trying to gauge whether I should or shouldn't be outraged.   If there are tests that can be administered with results in hours, or is 24 hours, why aren't they available by now - 2 months after the US first positive?  Is it unreasonable to think they should be available throughout the country by now?

« Reply #365 on: March 20, 2020, 01:24:24 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

So -- just trying to gauge whether I should or shouldn't be outraged.   If there are tests that can be administered with results in hours, or is 24 hours, why aren't they available by now - 2 months after the US first positive?  Is it unreasonable to think they should be available throughout the country by now?

Yes.

You should be outraged that tests of any kind are still barely available, 2 months after the US first positive.  The failure to make it a #1 priority to provide massive, broad-based testing will and has lead directly to unnecessary infection, injury and deaths.   

And the decisions that have lead to the delay (and continued lack of) broad-based testing is directly on the heads of this administration.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #366 on: March 20, 2020, 01:57:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy at this point, but didn't the Celtics announce no Celtics were infected just a day or so after the NBA suspended the season?
If that was the case, why would they announce that if they didn't get the tests back yet?

Is there a chance that they were tested, and got the negative results back, but the guys who were positive weren't showing up in tests yet and they continued to test?

No it was a misleading report - Ramona Shelburne (I think) conveyed that the Celtics said they had no known positive tests in the org, which was read as "they've been tested and cleared" when it really meant "we don't know of anyone who's tested positive yet". Hard to know how bad of a statement that was by the Celtics without knowing what question they were responding to and how exactly they phrased it.

« Reply #367 on: March 20, 2020, 01:59:07 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1490

No it was a misleading report - Ramona Shelburne (I think) conveyed that the Celtics said they had no known positive tests in the org, which was read as "they've been tested and cleared" when it really meant "we don't know of anyone who's tested positive yet". Hard to know how bad of a statement that was by the Celtics without knowing what question they were responding to and how exactly they phrased it.

ok well that explains it.  TP!

« Reply #368 on: March 20, 2020, 03:05:49 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
If you had to guess which one Celtic would get the virus, who would it be?

Why is that?

« Reply #369 on: March 20, 2020, 03:09:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Why is that?

Marcus Smart, because he has it.  That was easy!

« Reply #370 on: March 20, 2020, 03:11:41 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

Why is that?

Marcus Smart, because he has it.  That was easy!

I know. I was just thinking that if I didn't know if any Celtic had it, I would guess Marcus Smart would be the first to get it.

Why do I think that? What is that my inclination?

« Reply #371 on: March 20, 2020, 05:38:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973

Why is that?

I don't know is he part Italian ?

« Reply #372 on: March 20, 2020, 05:41:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
Not all Sports is dead !

Yes ....we are gonna have " Wrestling Mania " !    ;D

I understand it will be live pay per view ,  no audience,  held in FL at a training facility. 

« Reply #373 on: March 20, 2020, 05:59:30 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Not all Sports is dead !

I understand it will be live pay per view ,  no audience,  held in FL at a training facility.

So, you're saying "all sport is dead dead!"?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #374 on: March 20, 2020, 06:22:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not all Sports is dead !

Hate to break it to you but there are rumors they will be taping matches in advance this coming week in order to cover the next two Raws, the next two Smackdowns and the two nights of WrestleMania in front of no crowds

Since their stars live all over, they are afraid of shelter in place orders causing the wrestlers not to be able to be in Orlando on those days in March and April when the would have live shows, so want to pre-tape everything.