Author Topic: C’s locker room after Game 2  (Read 11424 times)

Re: C’s locker room after Game 2
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2020, 10:34:09 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm still optimistic.  As others have said, I'd be more worried if they didn't care, and I think they're mature enough to work it out.
Game 3 will be very telling. From all reports (what the players have said + the leaders meeting Brad held) they seem to have put it behind them, but we won't know until tipoff

I haven't followed as closely this year, but after the Celts lost 2 straight to TOR, I was surprised by Stevens' demeanor - he appeared confidently as heck in his belief that the "tough guys in the locker room" would figure out a way to win the next game.  And he was right.

I prefer them to be riled up than lackadaisical.  Maybe (or hopefully) they just needed a wake-up call after a long series with TOR.  On paper, we're still the more talented team.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2020, 10:37:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm still optimistic.  As others have said, I'd be more worried if they didn't care, and I think they're mature enough to work it out.
Game 3 will be very telling. From all reports (what the players have said + the leaders meeting Brad held) they seem to have put it behind them, but we won't know until tipoff

I haven't followed as closely this year, but after the Celts lost 2 straight to TOR, I was surprised by Stevens' demeanor - he appeared confidently as heck in his belief that the "tough guys in the locker room" would figure out a way to win the next game.  And he was right.

I prefer them to be riled up than lackadaisical.  Maybe (or hopefully) they just needed a wake-up call after a long series with TOR.  On paper, we're still the more talented team.
I think Brad, more so than perhaps any other coach in the league, puts great trust in his players both on the court and off the court. Hence why he tries to let them figure out runs and such.

I definitely prefer them to play with a bit of an edge. I fully expect to win the next 2 games, not sure why...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2020, 10:39:43 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I think Brad, more so than perhaps any other coach in the league, puts great trust in his players both on the court and off the court. Hence why he tries to let them figure out runs and such.

I definitely prefer them to play with a bit of an edge. I fully expect to win the next 2 games, not sure why...

I do too.  Your shared take on Brad only gives me more hope.  We've got some gamers to make this a long series.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2020, 01:14:38 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I think it might be fair to say that both players (Smart and Brown may be at fault for different reasons).

Marcus Smart:
A hot headed player who plays at a 110% KG level intensity at all times. Makes some stupid offensive choices more often than we'd like- obvioulsy incredible defensive player.  I'll also say this - if the rest of this team, and PARTICULARLY Jaylen Brown, played with the physical intensity Smart plays with, we would be up 2-0 right now, no question. They don't, particularly Jaylen Brown. Marcus Smart, in the best of ways is street brawler basketball player in the mold of Rodman, Draymond, KG, etc., and I'll take him every day of the week in games that matter.

Jaylen Brown:
Uber athletic player who is an intellectual with marginal BBQ IQ. He's a beast of an athlete, who, if he again played with the physical intensity of Marcus Smart, would already be an all star. But he doesn't, he plays like a disengaged Chihuahua way more often than would be acceptable for meas a coach. He drifts, he's gets moved around in the paint when he shouldn't. He rarely, if ever, truly imposes his physical will on anybody for sustained periods of time. Basically, he's a passive player for the most part. Jaylen Brown playing with consistent physical force and maximum effort on a consistent basis would most likely propel us to a banner this year. What he does is simply not "good enough" given the tools he has.

He could really use a coach like Popovich or Phil Jackson to be way up his backside on a daily basis to reach his potential. He's probably a product of his environment, like us all. He grew up in a privileged environment, unlike guys like Wade, Smart, Butler, Bird, etc. And he doesn't have a natural killer instinct  - and it's hard to teach that.  He has to be driven their, again by a coach that will truly challenge who he "thinks" he is.

For me he's way too cool on the court - he needs "way more grit" than he currently possesses and/or displays. He's sorely deficient in both motor and grit. He should be mauling guys nightly - but again he's often in chihuahua mode...

Smart probably gets into him for that. They're a little bit like oil and water. Street brawler versus the intellectual.

We'll see how they work it out - we need both guys.

I was hard on Jaylen just now. I really do like him as a player for us long term but he constantly keeps me wishing for more than he delivers - and it's solely about grit, heart and motor - if he adopts Smart's tenacity we'll probably win multiple titles with him and Tatum. If he doesn't, titles are unclear to me.           

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2020, 01:21:10 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think it might be fair to say that both players (Smart and Brown may be at fault for different reasons).

Marcus Smart:
A hot headed player who plays at a 110% KG level intensity at all times. Makes some stupid offensive choices more often than we'd like- obvioulsy incredible defensive player.  I'll also say this - if the rest of this team, and PARTICULARLY Jaylen Brown, played with the physical intensity Smart plays with, we would be up 2-0 right now, no question. They don't, particularly Jaylen Brown. Marcus Smart, in the best of ways is street brawler basketball player in the mold of Rodman, Draymond, KG, etc., and I'll take him every day of the week in games that matter.

Jaylen Brown:
Uber athletic player who is an intellectual with marginal BBQ IQ. He's a beast of an athlete, who, if he again played with the physical intensity of Marcus Smart, would already be an all star. But he doesn't, he plays like a disengaged Chihuahua way more often than would be acceptable for meas a coach. He drifts, he's gets moved around in the paint when he shouldn't. He rarely, if ever, truly imposes his physical will on anybody for sustained periods of time. Basically, he's a passive player for the most part. Jaylen Brown playing with consistent physical force and maximum effort on a consistent basis would most likely propel us to a banner this year. What he does is simply not "good enough" given the tools he has.

He could really use a coach like Popovich or Phil Jackson to be way up his backside on a daily basis to reach his potential. He's probably a product of his environment, like us all. He grew up in a privileged environment, unlike guys like Wade, Smart, Butler, Bird, etc. And he doesn't have a natural killer instinct  - and it's hard to teach that.  He has to be driven their, again by a coach that will truly challenge who he "thinks" he is.

For me he's way too cool on the court - he needs "way more grit" than he currently possesses and/or displays. He's sorely deficient in both motor and grit. He should be mauling guys nightly - but again he's often in chihuahua mode...

Smart probably gets into him for that. They're a little bit like oil and water. Street brawler versus the intellectual.

I was hard on Jaylen just now. I really do like him as a player for us long term but he constantly keeps me wishing for more than he delivers - and it's solely about grit, heart and motor - if he adopts Smart's tenacity we'll probably win multiple titles with him and Tatum. If he doesn't, titles are unclear to me.           

I think so too, and usually in these things both people are at fault in some way.

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2020, 02:19:51 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Marcus Smart:

Jaylen Brown:

Very narrative driven piece about Jaylen that I'm not going to get into, but most of your criticism should be directed towards Brad Stevens instead: you can't "impose your will on a nightly basis" or "show your killer instinct" (the latter never fails to make me laugh when it's pretty much based on how stacked a player's roster is to feed into winning bias) when you're assigned to stand in the corner whenever you're cooking unless you steal the ball from your teammates and play 1 v 9 like it's playground basketball.

Keep that same energy for Tatum btw :laugh:, I'll be waiting for your piece about him with these same criteria lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2020, 10:18:15 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Somebody, not sure I fully understand several parts of your response.

What do you mean by narrative driven piece? I have an opinion, a read on a player's mentality - is that what you're referring to?

I can't blame Brad Stevens for Jaylen Brown's passivity, nor can I credit Stevens for Smart's tenacity. players are who they are from a mental standpoint - their innate disposition as a person/player and a lot of that has to do with how you grew up. I don't argue the fact that Brown does have to stand in the corner a fair amount. I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about many other plays throughout a game where he is far too physically passive in the heat of a game. Probably the inslg ebest and glaring example in Game 2 was the one where Butler taps the ball over Jaylen's head on the sideline and then goes down the floor for a layup for Crowder or some other Heat player - it was down the stretch.

That was not a great play by Butler, it was just an effort play. It was, however, a horrendous effort play on Brown's part. He made not attempt to leap forcefully for the ball, to go to the ball. You knew Butler was coming. Marcus Smart on that play would have been rim level for the catch of that pass if needed because there is not way he would have let Butler get it. Most likely scenario is Smart's on the line for two foul shots.

I don't necessarily like Smart more than Brown - I like both of them equally as players and for different reasons. But when it comes to grit, heart and motor, Smart is a great measuring stick to point out Brown's overall lack of intensity in those areas.

Having played competitive basketball, I very much disagree that Stevens is the cause of Jaylen's passivity on the court. Stevens is forcing him to be passive defensively and/or passive on the boards many times. Stevens doesn't control how fast Brown chooses to run up and down the court on changes of possession. I can tell you he doesn't run, 75% of the time, as hard or as with much effort as Theis, Kemba, Tatum, Smart, Wanamaker, Ojeleye, Grant Williams, even TimeLord does - worst part is that my guess is that he is probably easily the fastest guy on our team.

I have no commentary coming on Tatum - he's young, still makes some mistakes but is overall a phenomenal player who "plays hard" on both ends of the court the majority of his time out there.

On the grit, heart, effort and motor scale, grade of 1-10?
Smart: 15
Tatum: 9
Kemba: 9
Theis: 12
Brown: 6?

Not good enough for someone pegged as your #2 guy behind Tatum. Not going to cut it.           

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Got a chuckle out of this. In what world does JT show more grit or effort than Brown??

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2020, 08:14:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

What do you mean by narrative driven piece? I have an opinion, a read on a player's mentality - is that what you're referring to?

I can't blame Brad Stevens for Jaylen Brown's passivity, nor can I credit Stevens for Smart's tenacity. players are who they are from a mental standpoint - their innate disposition as a person/player and a lot of that has to do with how you grew up. I don't argue the fact that Brown does have to stand in the corner a fair amount. I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about many other plays throughout a game where he is far too physically passive in the heat of a game. Probably the inslg ebest and glaring example in Game 2 was the one where Butler taps the ball over Jaylen's head on the sideline and then goes down the floor for a layup for Crowder or some other Heat player - it was down the stretch.

That was not a great play by Butler, it was just an effort play. It was, however, a horrendous effort play on Brown's part. He made not attempt to leap forcefully for the ball, to go to the ball. You knew Butler was coming. Marcus Smart on that play would have been rim level for the catch of that pass if needed because there is not way he would have let Butler get it. Most likely scenario is Smart's on the line for two foul shots.

I don't necessarily like Smart more than Brown - I like both of them equally as players and for different reasons. But when it comes to grit, heart and motor, Smart is a great measuring stick to point out Brown's overall lack of intensity in those areas.

Having played competitive basketball, I very much disagree that Stevens is the cause of Jaylen's passivity on the court. Stevens is forcing him to be passive defensively and/or passive on the boards many times. Stevens doesn't control how fast Brown chooses to run up and down the court on changes of possession. I can tell you he doesn't run, 75% of the time, as hard or as with much effort as Theis, Kemba, Tatum, Smart, Wanamaker, Ojeleye, Grant Williams, even TimeLord does - worst part is that my guess is that he is probably easily the fastest guy on our team.

I have no commentary coming on Tatum - he's young, still makes some mistakes but is overall a phenomenal player who "plays hard" on both ends of the court the majority of his time out there.

Not good enough for someone pegged as your #2 guy behind Tatum. Not going to cut it.         
This is a pretty humorous take on Brown. His passivity ..lol. You must have missed the entire Raptors series where his passivity completely shut down a 2nd team All-NBA player and was one of the main reasons the Celtics won that series.

And offensively, if the other players let him actually touch the ball, he is one of the more aggressive offensive players we have. Pretty tough to be aggressive offensively if the coach sits you in a corner, doesn't have you move as part of the offensive set and the other players refuse to get you the ball.

I have said this a couple times on this site...the lack of touches for Brown in this series is disturbing. It's not him being passive, it's his team mates freezing him out. And it's not like he can go steal the ball from his team mates or blow up the offensive set by moving out of position to demand the ball.

Your entire narrative here is just not in line with the reality on the court that just about every other person sees. You are clearly just not a fan of Brown and using this made up nonsense as a reason for it.

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2020, 08:17:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

This is a pretty humorous take on Brown. His passivity ..lol. You must have missed the entire Raptors series where his passivity completely shut down a 2nd team All-NBA player and was one of the main reasons the Celtics won that series.

And offensively, if the other players let him actually touch the ball, he is one of the more aggressive offensive players we have. Pretty tough to be aggressive offensively if the coach sits you in a corner, doesn't have you move as part of the offensive set and the other players refuse to get you the ball.

I have said this a couple times on this site...the lack of touches for Brown in this series is disturbing. It's not him being passive, it's his team mates freezing him out. And it's not like he can go steal the ball from his team mates or blow up the offensive set by moving out of position to demand the ball.

Your entire narrative here is just not in line with the reality on the court that just about every other person sees. You are clearly just not a fan of Brown and using this made up nonsense as a reason for it.
If you don't rant and rave you clearly don't care about the team ::) See the same thing brought up about Brad as if Coach Spoelstra doesn't behave the exact same way, only to be lauded for it

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2020, 08:18:51 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
When the Celtics drafted Jaylen Brown (un-expectantly high given his good but not great college season), I thought the last thing we would worry about with him would be level of intensity, lack of aggressiveness or taking defensive possessions off. I remember his introductory press conference when he said, "I am ready to tear somebody's head off." Also, given that many people questioned his talent, you figure he would always play with a chip on his shoulder. You would think he and Marcus would be our attack dogs every night out. He does play that way some nights, but not as consistently as he should. I don't get it.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2020, 08:19:34 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

If you don't rant and rave you clearly don't care about the team ::) See the same thing brought up about Brad as if Coach Spoelstra doesn't behave the exact same way, only to be lauded for it

Spoelstra is not a passive coach!!

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2020, 08:23:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Spoelstra is not a passive coach!!
But you don't see him throwing himself at officials for tech fouls for no reason other than "just because", which is something I've seen people pine for Brad to do.

You see him tear into his players and work the refs calmly, similarly to Brad

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2020, 08:28:17 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
They were probably mad about these things:

https://twitter.com/NBCSCeltics/status/1307466850691936256
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2020, 08:46:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
They were probably mad about these things:

https://twitter.com/NBCSCeltics/status/1307466850691936256
I disagree with Scal's criticism of Brown on that play. Watch him in that entire second half. He was glued to Robinson and Herro attempting to take away the three point game of Miami that hurt Boston to start the game.

Brown NEVER does that. He was told to stay that close to Miami's best three pointers. That wasn't lack of effort. That was following the coach's instructions.

Heck, look at the start of this game 3. Brown once again is up in Robinson's shirt once again and not leaving him
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:54:07 PM by nickagneta »