Author Topic: battle of giants (future)  (Read 2767 times)

battle of giants (future)
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:08:33 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Bosh, Lebron James, D Wade, playing together somewhere.........in the finals........verses
Oden, Aldridge, BRoy.

IF Oden keeps doing well and gets his defense together, I'm picking Portland....who will have a much deeper team (unless they squander it in the meantime).

Re: battle of giants (future)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 12:28:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If a team ever had Lebron, Wade, and Bosh, I think they'd be able to beat Portland, LA, the Celts, or just about anybody else.  It would take some time to gel, but assuming they had even competent players around them, they'd be tough.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 03:55:42 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
If a team ever had Lebron, Wade, and Bosh, I think they'd be able to beat Portland, LA, the Celts, or just about anybody else.  It would take some time to gel, but assuming they had even competent players around them, they'd be tough.

imo it mostly depends on Oden and how Bill Russell-like he can eventually become.  In other words, if Portland were to have a chance it would be because Oden has fully lived up to expectations/potential.  Then it would be a very interesting matchup and might come down the other 5 players in the respective rotations.  If Portland is rounded out by a bunch of near-all stars (seems they've got a chance at that kind of roster) then I'd go with Portland.  Obviously a lot of hypotheticals involved.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 06:03:25 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Bosh, Lebron James, D Wade, playing together somewhere.........in the finals........verses
Oden, Aldridge, BRoy.

IF Oden keeps doing well and gets his defense together, I'm picking Portland....who will have a much deeper team (unless they squander it in the meantime).

Drinking and posting isn`t a great idea... ;)

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 08:37:44 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
When I watched Portland, I noticed they're missing either a better SG or SF. A SG that can move better w/o the ball, same for a SF to compliment BRoy. If Portland could land a player like Joe Johnson or Rip next year, then that team would be complete IMO. Great PG, then SG and Roy at SF, PF and C w/ Oden. Great team
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 08:12:15 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
After watching a bit of Ok. City I realized I should have thrown the Thunder into this.  Add a center along the lines of Bogut or someone around that caliber and a good power forward, and a veteran or 2, and you have a 3rd giant.  Seems inevitable now that Thunder will soon match or surpass Portland (again, depending partly on Oden's ceiling, though Durant et all may even be good enough to neutralize a dominant defensive center).

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 01:08:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
After watching a bit of Ok. City I realized I should have thrown the Thunder into this.  Add a center along the lines of Bogut or someone around that caliber and a good power forward, and a veteran or 2, and you have a 3rd giant.  Seems inevitable now that Thunder will soon match or surpass Portland (again, depending partly on Oden's ceiling, though Durant et all may even be good enough to neutralize a dominant defensive center).
Oklahoma City are still pretty far away. They've got some difficult decisions to make if they want to become a true contender in the near-future.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 04:39:49 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Oklahoma City are still pretty far away. They've got some difficult decisions to make if they want to become a true contender in the near-future.
My first comment was poor ... too vague ... an explanation of why I think OKC are far away from being a contender:

The main difference, as I see it, between a team like the Blazers and Thunder is that Portland already has the core of a contender in tact and have had that core since they picked up Oden in the draft. Oklahoma has a very good core but they're one/two steps away depending on the move.

I'm not convinced that a Big Three of Durant, Westbrook and Green are good enough to be the core to a contender. I see it with Durant and Westbrook but I think Green is lacking. I don't think he's good enough defensively or on the boards to be a high level PF in the league, and he isn't prolific enough offensively to make up for those negatives. A good player but not a star player.

So, I think the Thunder have two choices -- and I fully believe that their management are giving strong consideration to these two options:

(1) Add a fourth player to that core. A $10 million a year big man who is a dominant defender/rebounder. Make a big four (big five if you include Sefolosha -- who I think adds more to the Thunder than Jeff Green) and build a quality supporting cast around them.
(2) Try to sign a max contract player via free agency or a trade and be willing to sacrifice Jeff Green in the process.

The Thunder will be paying Green + Durant contract extensions after next season, and Westbrook the year after that. That will total around $35 million as starting salaries and likely growing to $50 million before their extensions expire. Budgeting for this will put a squeeze on their free agency options. That's why there appears to be two leading options in that next step (unless ownership/management are willing to pay big luxury tax bills, but so far, at least in the media, they've been serious about budgeting + considering those extensions in the long term).

So, to conclude, the reason I'm unwilling to put the Thunder (as a young team) on a par with Portland or on track to meet Portland in the near-future is because I don't believe the present-day core of that team is strong enough to be a contender. And in order to become a contender they're going to have to make a big move and until we see how they execute that idea ... I just don't know whether they're going to be a contender or not.

--------------------------------------------------

On the bright side, Durant and Westbrook are puppies ... so even if they screw this up over the next 2 years or so they'll have plenty more opportunities to get it right over the long term (7-10 years) and you have to like the odds of them figuring things out at some point.

It's just an unknown answer as to when that point in time will be.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
My first comment was poor ... too vague ... an explanation of why I think OKC are far away from being a contender:

The main difference, as I see it, between a team like the Blazers and Thunder is that Portland already has the core of a contender in tact and have had that core since they picked up Oden in the draft. Oklahoma has a very good core but they're one/two steps away depending on the move.

I'm not convinced that a Big Three of Durant, Westbrook and Green are good enough to be the core to a contender. I see it with Durant and Westbrook but I think Green is lacking. I don't think he's good enough defensively or on the boards to be a high level PF in the league, and he isn't prolific enough offensively to make up for those negatives. A good player but not a star player.

So, I think the Thunder have two choices -- and I fully believe that their management are giving strong consideration to these two options:

(1) Add a fourth player to that core. A $10 million a year big man who is a dominant defender/rebounder. Make a big four (big five if you include Sefolosha -- who I think adds more to the Thunder than Jeff Green) and build a quality supporting cast around them.
(2) Try to sign a max contract player via free agency or a trade and be willing to sacrifice Jeff Green in the process.

The Thunder will be paying Green + Durant contract extensions after next season, and Westbrook the year after that. That will total around $35 million as starting salaries and likely growing to $50 million before their extensions expire. Budgeting for this will put a squeeze on their free agency options. That's why there appears to be two leading options in that next step (unless ownership/management are willing to pay big luxury tax bills, but so far, at least in the media, they've been serious about budgeting + considering those extensions in the long term).

So, to conclude, the reason I'm unwilling to put the Thunder (as a young team) on a par with Portland or on track to meet Portland in the near-future is because I don't believe the present-day core of that team is strong enough to be a contender. And in order to become a contender they're going to have to make a big move and until we see how they execute that idea ... I just don't know whether they're going to be a contender or not.

On the bright side, Durant and Westbrook are puppies ... so even if they screw this up over the next 2 years or so they'll have plenty more opportunities to get it right over the long term (7-10 years) and you have to like the odds of them figuring things out at some point.

I think Harden will soon be a major NBA talent, along the lines of a poor man's Paul Pierce.

How about something along the following (at least talent-wise if not realistically):

Bogut
Carl Landry
Durant
Harden
Westbrook

Sefolosha
Ibaka
Vet backup big
Vet PG
Vet SF
Vet sharpshooter

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:49:20 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

I think Harden will soon be a major NBA talent, along the lines of a poor man's Paul Pierce.

How about something along the following (at least talent-wise if not realistically):

Bogut
Carl Landry
Durant
Harden
Westbrook

Sefolosha
Ibaka
Vet backup big
Vet PG
Vet SF
Vet sharpshooter

That team would be dirty in a few years....but that's a lot of pieces to acquire. OK has more blocks to twist in their rubics cube of contention than Portland.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2538
my opinion is that you can't predict teams in advance, you can only predict players (and of course that is no exact science either).  In other words, it's impossible to know for sure what any team will look like in 3 years which seems to be roughly the point at which Boston-LA-San Antonio will have desended from the mountain top with their current leaders (unfortunately, LAs window -- aargh -- might be a little longer if Kobe maintains his quality of play).   But, I think it is impossible to know the make-up and the chemistry (and other intangibles) that will comprise the next generation of serious contenders.

That said, my money goes wherever Lebron goes.  I just believe that Lebron is the best player now -- and will be head and shoulder the best in a few years (and he'll be a 10 year veteran at that point).  He will have his era. 

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 02:08:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Bogut
Carl Landry
Durant
Harden
Westbrook

Sefolosha
Ibaka
Vet backup big
Vet PG
Vet SF
Vet sharpshooter

Durant + Westbrook + Green + Bogut is an excellent core
Durant + Westbrook + Bogut + Harden ... depends on Harden

I don't know what to make of James Harden yet. I like his all round game but I question his abilities as a scorer (shot-creation looks an issue) + I wonder how much value his passing will add when playing most of his minutes alongside Durant and Westbrook (less touches/opportunities).

Harden is an interesting young player ... I just don't know what to make of him yet.

If he can become a near All-Star quality player, or better, then that opens up a lot of options for the Thunder.