Poll

Should the NBA Ban the Charge?

Yes
No
Doesn't Matter.  I Always Pay Cash

Author Topic: Should the NBA Ban the Charge?  (Read 2697 times)

Should the NBA Ban the Charge?
« on: April 17, 2023, 02:35:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
The idea is currently trending on Twitter after yesterday.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Should the NBA Ban the Charge?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 02:46:14 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
I am all for refining how fouls are called.  I think they have improved it some.  The offensive player should not be able to initiate contact or lean in to "draw" a foul.  The defender should be able to jump up or stand their ground.  I don't know how that would relate to eliminating a charging call.  Would it be that the offensive player can plow into the defender and it wouldn't be either a block or charge?  What is the defender supposed to do, jump out of the way?  It just isn't real clear to me.  If the offensive player initiate the contact, it should be an offensive foul.  Otherwise, basketball would turn into rugby.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 02:47:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 02:47:25 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
No because a charge is a defensive basketball play. You want to try to get them to turn over the ball. Especially if the defender is already stationary.

How about teaching your players not to violently crash into other players with intent. I can understand driving for a casual layup and getting called a charge/block foul, but if you have a history of just being too physical ramming through players to score then nah. Maybe Giannis should expand his game more.

This ban will only favor the likes of Giannis so no.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 02:49:52 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1450
I mean… Guess if you want to watch something similar to football/Rugby instead of basketball. Imagine a healthy Zion with no charge rule? It’s hard to imagine him healthy, though.  :-\
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 03:01:39 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I do think they should maybe try to find a way to cut down on guys not trying to make a legit defensive play. Like how Lowry runs from 6 feet away and plants himself when he sees someone is about to drive and makes no attempt to block the shot or anything else. I don’t know how that rule could be written.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 03:02:27 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989
Maybe don’t try to jump over 7-foot humans if you don’t want to get hurt when you land.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 03:06:38 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2417
Stop letting guys undercut people after they jump and are in the air.

If you are there before they jump, fine.
Otherwise, you can't get a charge.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 03:24:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
No because a charge is a defensive basketball play. You want to try to get them to turn over the ball. Especially if the defender is already stationary.

How about teaching your players not to violently crash into other players with intent. I can understand driving for a casual layup and getting called a charge/block foul, but if you have a history of just being too physical ramming through players to score then nah. Maybe Giannis should expand his game more.

This ban will only favor the likes of Giannis so no.

I saw a cool graphic for Giannis earlier today. A shot chart of the different zones on the court and how well Giannis scored from each zone. He had only two positive zones out of 14. Right at the basket and top of the key below the three point line. Everywhere else was below average and that top of the key area accounted for only 2% of his offense (27 total shot attempts for the season).

Jeez, I knew he was bad at jump-shooting but I didn't realize it was that bad.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 03:26:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

isn't this the rule now?

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 03:31:20 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 596
No they shouldn't but never underestimate the stupidity of the league. If it will make them more money, they'll change the the rule.
Can't wait to watch 82 all star games.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2023, 03:41:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

isn't this the rule now?

I don't think so. You just have to be there before the offensive player gets to that area. So the offensive player can jump and be commited to that direction, then the defensive player beats him to the spot and ends up undercutting him in the air when the offensive player is no longer able to stop or change directions.

Did that change? Did I miss that?

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 03:45:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

isn't this the rule now?

I don't think so. You just have to be there before the offensive player gets to that area. So the offensive player can jump and be commited to that direction, then the defensive player beats him to the spot and ends up undercutting him in the air when the offensive player is no longer able to stop or change directions.

I could be misremembering but I could've sworn there was a rule change in the mid 2000s about sliding underneath a guy.  The "Jason Kidd" rule since he was constantly doing that and getting the calls. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2023, 04:03:28 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
So when Tatum goes down like Giannis, NO rule changes mentioned....but when Giannis goes down..... :laugh:
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2023, 04:37:43 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873

isn't this the rule now?

I could be misremembering but I could've sworn there was a rule change in the mid 2000s about sliding underneath a guy.  The "Jason Kidd" rule since he was constantly doing that and getting the calls.

If that was the change or clarification, I would be fine with that.  The offensive player has claim to the air space once he is in the air.  And I don't like the no charge line.  If a defender is set under the basket, he should be able to hold that position.  It never made sense to me to have that line.