Author Topic: Ainge: Yabusele may play for Red Claws this year (Merged)  (Read 4160 times)

Re: Ainge: Yabusele may play for Red Claws this year (Merged)
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 10:59:40 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Good.  Want to see him out of that clown car league and playing some real basketball games.

Great words from a great man

Re: Ainge: Yabusele may play for Red Claws
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 11:00:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

If the Celtics want to keep Yab off the books for one more year (which would clear a very important $1.4 million off the cap), I think they need to find an international team for him to sign with for another season (and do so in the first few days of July.)

He just has to sign a non-nba contract, and the C's retain his rights each year.  But a 2-way deal would be an NBA contract, so he would be on the C's roster and cap.  Because he was a first round pick, he wouldn't be eligible for a 2-way contract though.  First round picks have a standard contract.

Right, but the only other non-NBA contract out there is the D-league, and that can't be signed until November.  So to keep him off the books, it needs to be with an international team, and that contract needs to be signed before his cap hit can be cleared.

Him signing a contract outside the NBA doesn't take him off the cap.  He comes off the cap when he and the C's submit letters to the league stating that he will not sign with the C's for the current league year.  It is noteworthy that both Yabu and Zizic did NOT submit those letters this season, which left the door open for them to sign their rookie deals this year, but also kept their cap hold on the C's cap. 

So, if he is not going to sign with the C's next year, and they want to remove his cap hold, they can submit that letter, and he can sign with the Red Claws whenever that signing period is open.

Re: Ainge: Yabusele may play for Red Claws
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 11:08:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

If the Celtics want to keep Yab off the books for one more year (which would clear a very important $1.4 million off the cap), I think they need to find an international team for him to sign with for another season (and do so in the first few days of July.)

He just has to sign a non-nba contract, and the C's retain his rights each year.  But a 2-way deal would be an NBA contract, so he would be on the C's roster and cap.  Because he was a first round pick, he wouldn't be eligible for a 2-way contract though.  First round picks have a standard contract.

Right, but the only other non-NBA contract out there is the D-league, and that can't be signed until November.  So to keep him off the books, it needs to be with an international team, and that contract needs to be signed before his cap hit can be cleared.

Him signing a contract outside the NBA doesn't take him off the cap.  He comes off the cap when he and the C's submit letters to the league stating that he will not sign with the C's for the current league year.  It is noteworthy that both Yabu and Zizic did NOT submit those letters this season, which left the door open for them to sign their rookie deals this year, but also kept their cap hold on the C's cap. 

So, if he is not going to sign with the C's next year, and they want to remove his cap hold, they can submit that letter, and he can sign with the Red Claws whenever that signing period is open.

My mistake.  I combined two different rules in my head.  Here's the relevant section in the new CBA for those who are curious:

A Team that holds draft rights to a First Round Pick may elect
to have the player’s applicable Rookie Scale Cap Hold Amount
excluded from its Team Salary at any time prior to the first day of
any Regular Season by providing the NBA with a written statement
that the Team will not sign the player during that Salary Cap Year
accompanied by a written statement from the First Round Pick
renouncing his right to accept any outstanding Required Tender
made to him by the Team. After making such an election, (i) the
Team shall be prohibited from signing the player during that Salary
Cap Year, except in accordance with Section 5(e)(4)(ii) below, (ii)
the Team shall continue to possess such rights with respect to the
player that the Team possessed pursuant to Article X immediately
prior to such election, and (iii) the player’s applicable Rookie Scale
Amount shall be included again in his Team’s Team Salary at the
applicable Rookie Scale Cap Hold Amount on the following July 1.
When a First Round Pick provides a Team with a written
statement renouncing his right to accept that year’s outstanding
Required Tender, the Player shall no longer be permitted to accept
it.

I guess typically that is because players have overseas deals already signed, but they could mutually agree that Maine is good enough.  Although it's a major step down in dollars from overseas, so I'd be surprised.

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Can we get roster spots on the Elite Spanish teams?

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 11:10:16 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

A couple of years ago, when we started acquiring all the picks, I advocated that the Celtics should just buy a European club for their draft stashes.  That way we could teach them all the system and have them play better competition than in the D-league.

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
TP to Salt and Chris.

Can't thank you enough for concise explanations of our future stars signing dynamics.
All I get from the president of basketball operations is that Yabu, Nader and Zizic are "playing waaay better than projected." This is just the usual attempt to increase their trade value.

You guys are like having a $25,000 deposit with a legal firm in New York.

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

A couple of years ago, when we started acquiring all the picks, I advocated that the Celtics should just buy a European club for their draft stashes.  That way we could teach them all the system and have them play better competition than in the D-league.

I think that's a genius idea. I wonder how much something like that would cost the team.

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 12:16:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I think that's a genius idea. I wonder how much something like that would cost the team.

I mostly think the NBA would nix it, because we could pay guys above market rate in Europe to get discounts in the US and circumvent the cap.  I was really annoyed that the new CBA didn't make the D-league a more functional minor-league with larger salaries and an ability to hold onto the rights of draftees more easily.  A few cheap owners (since still not every NBA team has an affiliate) probably nixed it.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

I'd love it  8)  Tommy Point!!

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Good. Bring him into the fold so he can start getting some attention from the Celtics coaching staff, albeit at arm's length.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008