Author Topic: NBA Rumors: Boston Celtics Could Land John Collins  (Read 8141 times)

Re: NBA Rumors: Boston Celtics Could Land John Collins
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2021, 08:48:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What's with the desire to trade Kemba because we trade for Collins and need to sign him long term?

The team is staying under the luxury tax this year for the express purpose of going over the luxury tax for the foreseeable future. Wyc said he would pay the tax for a contender and adding an excellent talent like Collins means the team is a contender.

You don't remove an All-Star/All-NBA worthy talent like Kemba after trading for Collins. The point of acquiring Collins is to add him to the core of Kemba, the Jays, and Smart, not to replace one of them.

Wyc has gobs and gobs of money. The fans will be back in attendance and the Celtics will return to unreal profit margins. Let Wyc pay the tax. Keep all the top notch talent. Don't water it down by trading Kemba for parts. That, IMO, wouldn't be a very intelligent move.

Agreed. Wyc has banked hundreds of millions in profits, and literally billions in franchise value. We have one of the lowest payrolls in the NBA this year.  Nothing should hold up the acquisition of a star.

Of course, plenty of the top 1% cry poverty, and fans sometimes gullibly lap that up.  The Celtics have been printing money the past two decades, however. If WIC doesn’t invest in the team, it’s because he doesn’t want to, not because he can’t.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2021, 09:00:56 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
How reliable is Fadeawayworld.net? Massive overpay. Collins is basically Daniel Theis +. Pass...

Daniel Theis if he was a 20 / 10 guy who hit 40% of his threes.

He’s a better version of Daniel Theis. Both are the same size and athletic, Collins more so. Theis is shooting 38% from 3pt, Collins is at 39%.  Theis has a higher FG% at 57% vs 54%.

Also, Collins is not a 20/10 guy. He’s at 18/7. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a nice player, but this would be a massive overpay and he’s not worth a max deal.

He was 20 / 10 the prior two seasons.  Theis is a 9 / 5 guy. 

He plays much more above the rim than Theis does, and shoots from deep at higher volume.

I guess it’s a quibble on my part, but these comparisons sometimes just lose meaning. A player who is more athletic than Theis and doubles his production? That’s no longer Daniel Theis, that’s an all star.  It’s like calling Robert Williams a lesser version of Embiid without an outside shot.

TP for below...

Robert Williams v Joel Embiid

Roy, You made me laugh so hard my neighbor's dog started barking.

(Payton Pritchard is a lesser version of Bob Cousy without the 6 rings and the 13 all star appearances.)

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2021, 09:55:09 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Well, let's make it happen Danny

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2021, 10:26:50 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’d do Pritchard and 3 firsts. Collins is a versatile big. Losing 2/3 firsts sucks, but how arts the guys Ainge is picking up in the mid-20’s that important? Pritchard is nice, but replaceable.

Kemba/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Collins sounds really fun. Would still love to dump Thomson for a shooter/playmaker.

AND we’d have the Hayward TPE in our back pocket.

Of course this all hinges on whether Ainge views Collins as a max player. You have to be prepared to match any offer if you’re giving up that many firsts.

CELTICS 2024

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2021, 10:34:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How reliable is Fadeawayworld.net? Massive overpay. Collins is basically Daniel Theis +. Pass...

Daniel Theis if he was a 20 / 10 guy who hit 40% of his threes.
Yeah, that comparison reeks of someone who has never ever seen Collins play, or thinks Theis plays like he did against Washington the other night every night.

I wouldn't give up PP and 3 1sts (I'm assuming that the top-25 protected one would transfer ;) ) to be honest. I think PP will be a jet. Would rather give up Smart

Watched all 3 games games against the C’s and I’ve seen him play on nationally televised games this season as well. His performances against the Celtics:

Game 1: 20pts, 6reb
Game 2: 8pts, 3reb
Game 3: 14pts, 11reb

So against the Celtics this season he’s averaged 14pts and 6 rebs. Awesome, let’s trade away a ton of assists and give him a $100m contract so that he can be a 4th scoring option, while providing average defense and rebounding. Now that would reek.. :)

So you’ve seen him play what, five games?  Out of 210 that he has played?

Roy, it was more than enough...
If you think 3 games is enough to evaluate someone's entire playing ability then, well, I'm just thankful you're not our GM
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2021, 01:12:52 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I'd like to keep Pritchard....but my ideal starting lineup would be:
Kemba
Tatum
Brown
Collins
Timelord