Author Topic: gotta love TA  (Read 7002 times)

gotta love TA
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:31:41 PM »

Online Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
  • B's Up
If you arent a fan of Tony Allen and his game then you might not be a fan of basketball. The guy brings energy and intensity as soon as he steps onto the floor. Hes got some of the greatest man-on-man defense in the league. With one play he can crack the TD Garden open and get the fans goin bananas. Yes he might not be a shooter like most of the stars in the league but thats what i love most about him: he knows his role. He knows what he can do and he sticks to it. He doesn't try to be someone he isnt. You've got to feel for the guy with all his ups and downs in his career with injuries and new players they sign to take his role but the guy keeps at it. He works hard and dedicates himself. And the guy is a real class act. I watched an interview today of him after practice about him shuttin down Dwade and all he could do was praise his teammates for their help. He is def one of my fav. players. You gota love his game.
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

Re: gotta love TA
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If you arent a fan of Tony Allen and his game then you might not be a fan of basketball. The guy brings energy and intensity as soon as he steps onto the floor. Hes got some of the greatest man-on-man defense in the league. With one play he can crack the TD Garden open and get the fans goin bananas. Yes he might not be a shooter like most of the stars in the league but thats what i love most about him: he knows his role. He knows what he can do and he sticks to it. He doesn't try to be someone he isnt. You've got to feel for the guy with all his ups and downs in his career with injuries and new players they sign to take his role but the guy keeps at it. He works hard and dedicates himself. And the guy is a real class act. I watched an interview today of him after practice about him shuttin down Dwade and all he could do was praise his teammates for their help. He is def one of my fav. players. You gota love his game.

While I agree that TA has been playing his role better this year than the rest of them, a few good games doesn't quite change the fact that he has played the exact opposite of this his entire career. I think we are going a little too far towards the other end of the spectrum with this. TA has been really good lately. No question. I wouldn't anoint him quite yet the man who knows his role.

As far as being a class act, he might be a good teammate, but his actions off the court hardly qualify him as a class act. He's a thug who happens to be a great team player giving his boys props. Much better than taking the credit himself though.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:44:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I have always been a huge TA fan.  At first I thought he may have had star potential, but he really has adjusted to his role.  And TA really stands out now, on an older and at times lethargic team.  It would have been very interesting how good TA may have become if he never had those injuries.  He had setback after setback.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 12:52:19 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Tony Allen could have been a smaller Gerald Wallace. He has battled through some very serious injuries and is finally comfortable again. He is a huge asset if he continues to play with confidence.

Doc has given him a shot here in the playoffs and I am very excited to see what he can do with this.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Credit to Doc 4 sticking by TA. Even when his play lacked, Doc never wavered on him (Ok he wavered some). Nonetheless TA finally found his niche with this team. It took him a couple years to recover, so WELCOME BACK TONY!!

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 01:05:12 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Tony Allen has won me over, over the course of this season. He's got great physical tools for defense, and then something clicked for him this year. He's playing much smarter defense. I think I read somewhere that TA said that he was really focusing more on studying scouting video on his opponents.

It also can't hurt that he is in a contract year, and must be aware of his status as a deep bench guy (11th man) for the past 3 years vs 6th-8th man role player on a winner.

His play on Saturday was great. I love that he is playing within himself. And I have always appreciated his energy. Bu, man, what a weapon that energy is when he channels it all into his strengths.

I can't wait to see how Wade adjusts on Tuesday, and how TA responds! Go Celtics!

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yes. He also has earned the chance to play on the biggest stage. He is healthy is is hungry for a new contract. Let him play other teams star wing players.

You got to inspire the man.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »

Online Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
  • B's Up

While I agree that TA has been playing his role better this year than the rest of them, a few good games doesn't quite change the fact that he has played the exact opposite of this his entire career. I think we are going a little too far towards the other end of the spectrum with this. TA has been really good lately. No question. I wouldn't anoint him quite yet the man who knows his role.

As far as being a class act, he might be a good teammate, but his actions off the court hardly qualify him as a class act. He's a thug who happens to be a great team player giving his boys props. Much better than taking the credit himself though.
i havent heard anything negative about TA off the court. But it seems like these last few months he has really come to life accepting his role on this team and trying to contribute in any way he can. and as far as the other end of the spectrum idk where you're goin with this? I never said he was kobe bryant, i said he is playing really hard and smart as of lately. Idk if you just like to bring out the negatives of players or just a hater really.. But I love to watch TA and with everything he's been through, all the set-backs with injuries, you cant really blame him for not performing as well over the past years
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
TA's winning me over.  Amazing, absolutely amazing given how universally he was despised at the beginning of the season.  Literally couldn't GIVE him away to Indiana.  Now, not only has he clearly outplayed Quis (the guy who was supposed to replace him), he's basically taken away Nate Robinson's minutes in the backcourt as well.

His defense against Wade was about as good as it gets.  Kept Wade in front of him.  Kept close enough to disrupt the outside shot.  Didn't bite on a single pump fake that I saw.  On offense, didn't do anything stupid.

And, he's been playing great for a while now, I can't remember the last "Bad Tony" sighting.

Amazing; I can't remember if it was Pierce or Ray who checked into the game with like four minutes to go, I was begging them not to be replacing Tony - and they didn't!  Let one of the future Hall of Famers watch from the bench while Tony helped close out the game.

Whodathunk THAT would happen?

Good for Tony, glad that he finally seems to get it.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 01:30:35 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
It's going to take longer for me. I hope he keeps it up. I've got nothing against the guy. But I can't get the fear out of my head sometimes when he's got the ball in his hands.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
TA's winning me over.  Amazing, absolutely amazing given how universally he was despised at the beginning of the season.  Literally couldn't GIVE him away to Indiana.  Now, not only has he clearly outplayed Quis (the guy who was supposed to replace him), he's basically taken away Nate Robinson's minutes in the backcourt as well.

His defense against Wade was about as good as it gets.  Kept Wade in front of him.  Kept close enough to disrupt the outside shot.  Didn't bite on a single pump fake that I saw.  On offense, didn't do anything stupid.

And, he's been playing great for a while now, I can't remember the last "Bad Tony" sighting.

Amazing; I can't remember if it was Pierce or Ray who checked into the game with like four minutes to go, I was begging them not to be replacing Tony - and they didn't!  Let one of the future Hall of Famers watch from the bench while Tony helped close out the game.

Whodathunk THAT would happen?

Good for Tony, glad that he finally seems to get it.

It was Pierce replacing Ray, while Tony stayed in the game.
Even Doc is finally getting it.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 01:38:54 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

i havent heard anything negative about TA off the court. But it seems like these last few months he has really come to life accepting his role on this team and trying to contribute in any way he can. and as far as the other end of the spectrum idk where you're goin with this? I never said he was kobe bryant, i said he is playing really hard and smart as of lately. Idk if you just like to bring out the negatives of players or just a hater really.. But I love to watch TA and with everything he's been through, all the set-backs with injuries, you cant really blame him for not performing as well over the past years

TA was arrested on a class 3 Felony from a fight that ended up resulting in a shooting. He's on tape pointing out the shooting victim to his guys as they arrive, and then later punching him and kicking the guy while on the ground. He later had charges dropped (surprise, surprise, the guy is an athlete) but it doesn't change what happened. Once again, he may be a good teammate, but he definitely is no class act.

As far as the injuries go, that explains his inability to perform at the level he was able to prior, but not to his decision making. For years the guy has lowered his head and ignored everyone else usually resulting in a charge and/or a turnover. One solid season in my mind doesn't make him out to be the guy who knows his role and sticks to it. However…

He was single handedly responsible for our win in game 1. He has played SO much better this year than in years past and rarely has turned the ball over. This last season was his lowest turnover rate in his career. He shot close to his best % his entire career. He stopped shooting those 3's (only 5 all season), rarely shoots an outside jumper anymore, is finishing better on the break… I am 100% happy with TA's game this year and hope he continues. At his price he is very good value for the money. I do love TA this season, just hope that he keeps it up.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 01:52:40 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

TA was arrested on a class 3 Felony from a fight that ended up resulting in a shooting. He's on tape pointing out the shooting victim to his guys as they arrive, and then later punching him and kicking the guy while on the ground. He later had charges dropped (surprise, surprise, the guy is an athlete) but it doesn't change what happened. Once again, he may be a good teammate, but he definitely is no class act.

As far as the injuries go, that explains his inability to perform at the level he was able to prior, but not to his decision making. For years the guy has lowered his head and ignored everyone else usually resulting in a charge and/or a turnover. One solid season in my mind doesn't make him out to be the guy who knows his role and sticks to it. However…

He was single handedly responsible for our win in game 1. He has played SO much better this year than in years past and rarely has turned the ball over. This last season was his lowest turnover rate in his career. He shot close to his best % his entire career. He stopped shooting those 3's (only 5 all season), rarely shoots an outside jumper anymore, is finishing better on the break… I am 100% happy with TA's game this year and hope he continues. At his price he is very good value for the money. I do love TA this season, just hope that he keeps it up.
"Once again, he may be a good teammate, but he definitely is no class act."

Probably true but arnt we talking about basketball?  If we are to have any chance to win the trophy we cant expect Pierce to cover Lebron/Kobe. We need to let TA get some burn vs Dwayne Wade and then basically defend Lebron/Vince Carter/Kobe if we go the distance.

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

"Once again, he may be a good teammate, but he definitely is no class act."

Probably true but arnt we talking about basketball?  If we are to have any chance to win the trophy we cant expect Pierce to cover Lebron/Kobe. We need to let TA get some burn vs Dwayne Wade and then basically defend Lebron/Vince Carter/Kobe if we go the distance.

When we are discussing his game, yes. When we call the guy a class act, then no. We're discussing the person that he is. TA's actions do not categorize him as a class act, rather a thug. His comments after the game classify him as a good teammate.

Just like Big Ben, or Michael Vick, or Tiger Woods. One doesn't have anything to do with the other. Great athletes, lousy people.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 02:07:22 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
So your saying TA is a lousy person?