Author Topic: Could Perk Be an All Star Too?  (Read 5570 times)

Could Perk Be an All Star Too?
« on: December 23, 2008, 11:58:41 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The debate over Rondo as an All Star seems to be solving itself.  The guy is sure playing like an All Star, but he may have a tougher competition at his position than Perk has at center.

Howard is your starter (and a deserving one), but who else in the East do you put ahead of Perk?

My guess is Ilgauskas will get the nod, but if he's banged up, it is perfectly legit that Perk makes it too.  Who else is playing better?  Bogut?

Jamal Magloire made it one year.  Why not the Perkubus?

Yup

Re: Could Perk Be an All Star Too?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 12:01:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He has been playing like that during the streak. 

Just don't think it will happen this year.

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

The only way I can see it happening is if the C's go on a truly historical run and are like 47-3 at the break or something (and Perk continues his beastliness).  The coaches just might say the hell with it, the C's deserve 5 guys.

Injuries ahead of him are the most likely path.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

The only way I can see it happening is if the C's go on a truly historical run and are like 47-3 at the break or something (and Perk continues his beastliness).  The coaches just might say the hell with it, the C's deserve 5 guys.

I would definitley love for Perk to make the All-Star game, and there have been a few grunt type players in the past who have made it (Dale Davis, Tyrone Hill, Theo Ratliff, etc.) but even with injuries they'd probably go the pseudo-center route with guys like Chris Bosh, Rasheed Wallaced, etc.  Now I know Bosh will be on the team anyway, but if a Center was injured they'd just say oh Bosh can play Center, and then the commish would make a sexy pick like Vince Carter to fill out the roster instead of replacing a Center with a Center. Best chance is 5 or less losses by the All-Star break and a few injures to other deserving players, and then who knows, we could see 5 C's. Unlikely but not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 12:27:45 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I would definitley love for Perk to make the All-Star game, and there have been a few grunt type players in the past who have made it (Dale Davis, Tyrone Hill, Theo Ratliff, etc.) but even with injuries they'd probably go the pseudo-center route with guys like Chris Bosh, Rasheed Wallaced, etc.  Now I know Bosh will be on the team anyway, but if a Center was injured they'd just say oh Bosh can play Center, and then the commish would make a sexy pick like Vince Carter to fill out the roster instead of replacing a Center with a Center. Best chance is 5 or less losses by the All-Star break and a few injures to other deserving players, and then who knows, we could see 5 C's. Unlikely but not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

His best chance is the coaches recognize what he does to their teams.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:33:41 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Why would anyone outside of celtics nation want to see Perk play in the all star game? lol, hes a defensive guy.
And I'd prefer our guys get rest than play in a meaningless scrimmage
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Why would anyone outside of celtics nation want to see Perk play in the all star game? lol, hes a defensive guy.

Come on, you don't want to see Perk go up against Stevie Nash in the Skills Challenge?
Yup

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 01:05:21 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I was thinking the same thing.

It would be interesting though seeing the Celtics starting 5 playing together in the all star game.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 01:16:19 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I suppose anything is possible if you factor in injuries, but if I were to play word association with Perk's name, "all-star" would not be one of the associations I'd come up with. I love the guy and all (I have him on my fantasy basketball team and he's getting me decent numbers), but he doesn't strike me as an all-star - the same way Cassell doesn't strike me as an HOFer.

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 01:27:50 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Come on, you don't want to see Perk go up against Stevie Nash in the Skills Challenge?

I like the visual. What'd you think the over/under would be for times Perk falls down? I'd set it at 6.5.

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 01:32:06 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I suppose anything is possible if you factor in injuries, but if I were to play word association with Perk's name, "all-star" would not be one of the associations I'd come up with. I love the guy and all (I have him on my fantasy basketball team and he's getting me decent numbers), but he doesn't strike me as an all-star - the same way Cassell doesn't strike me as an HOFer.

he keeps averging a double double and developing those post moves he's clearly picking up from KG and i don't see how you keep him off an all star team at some point in the future. people forget how utterly devoid of true top tier talent the Center position is outside of howard, shaq and a few other guys.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 01:43:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

he keeps averging a double double and developing those post moves he's clearly picking up from KG and i don't see how you keep him off an all star team at some point in the future. people forget how utterly devoid of true top tier talent the Center position is outside of howard, shaq and a few other guys.

I guess that's my main point of the OP.  For so many years now the 2nd East center has been less than what you might consider a true All Star, but at his position he fits.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 02:00:03 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Just the fact that we're having a discussion about this shows how far Perk has come.  And if I look at the list of centers on the East ballot, there isn't another player besides Dwight Howard I would take over Perk.  But that's not how the all star team is picked.  It's heavily based on stats, but also on team performance to a degree (or at least it should be).

Dalembert and Ben Wallace would be out right from the start because there stats don't measure up.  I would drop J. O'Neal, Okafor and Sheed because there teams are grossly underperforming, and there stats aren't good enough to make up for that.

That would leave Bogut, Horford, Ilgauskas and Perk as the remaining players for the backup up center spot.  As some have already mentioned, there may not be any backup centers picked, as the coaches may prefer to pick some more deserving 4's.  But if they did, I would think you'd have to give the nod to Ilgauskas.  He's putting up 15 and 7 on a team that's 23-4.  That trumps Perk's numbers.

But like I said, I wouldn't trade Perk for any of those other players.  I love what he's doing for the team right now, and I hope he keeps it up.

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
If wonder if Celtics starting 5 played together in the All-Star game if they would start running all their plays. That would be pretty amusing to Celtics fan especially. They'd probably dominate, too.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 03:11:21 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
If wonder if Celtics starting 5 played together in the All-Star game if they would start running all their plays. That would be pretty amusing to Celtics fan especially. They'd probably dominate, too.

Except Doc isn't eligible to coach this year, right?  I don't believe you can coach two straight years.

Can anyone verify that one?

(not that they couldn't call their own plays)
Yup