Author Topic: Too much rondo  (Read 14180 times)

Re: Too much rondo
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2008, 02:37:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Let's look at some numbers:

The C's are 26 and 2. 18 W's in a row.
Rondo shot 12 of 14 from the field.
That's a whopping 85.7 FG pct...

No such thing as "too aggressive"!

Wow! If Rondo could make foul shots, he would be dangerous. I know he missed at least 3 FT's last night. That is all he needs at this point is shooting FT's and we can put him up there with Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Devon Harris (NJ is surprising me this year) and certainly above Gilbert Arenas (I'm not a Gilbert Arenas fan).

all those guys can shoot a jumpshot.

while right now rondo's lack of shooting range can be covered up (he's not a main option the other defense can close down realibly while leaving GPA unattended) what happens when one or two of the boys move on and more teams cut rondo's lane off/ double him while letting his teamates carry the load?

I'm a big rajon fan, but he needs to add a confident midrange/ 3 pt jumper before he can be in the CP3/Dwill/Agent zero/ harris class of PG. Those are franchise PG's. Rondo is a very good PG with 3 Franchise options around him, there's a diffrence in how i measure thier contributions.

I question wheather Rondo could carry a team as its alpha dog with good talent around him instead of great talent and a playmaker role like he has now. Those other guys I don't (mabey harris a bit)

not saying I don't think he'll get there, but he's not thier at the moment.

I can't agree fully with your assesment that a great pg needs to be a sharpshooter. Harris and rondo are pretty much similiar in that they both make their teammates better, penetrate, fast, consistant this year but with harris having better offensive overall skils(jump shot) and rondo better defender.

How can you then say harris is in another league??

And there is no point of putting deron williams name above rondo's name in any way. (did you not see rondo torture him the last game??)

Paul is i admit in another league and i'd say parker has an advantage over rondo too, but rondo, harris, williams are all in the same level. If rondo can nail the jumper consistantly to me he is the best pg in the league with cp3

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2008, 02:50:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Wow! If Rondo could make foul shots, he would be dangerous. I know he missed at least 3 FT's last night. That is all he needs at this point is shooting FT's and we can put him up there with Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Devon Harris (NJ is surprising me this year) and certainly above Gilbert Arenas (I'm not a Gilbert Arenas fan).

while right now rondo's lack of shooting range can be covered up (he's not a main option the other defense can close down realibly while leaving GPA unattended) what happens when one or two of the boys move on and more teams cut rondo's lane off/ double him while letting his teamates carry the load?

I'm a big rajon fan, but he needs to add a confident midrange/ 3 pt jumper before he can be in the CP3/Dwill/Agent zero/ harris class of PG. Those are franchise PG's. Rondo is a very good PG with 3 Franchise options around him, there's a diffrence in how i measure thier contributions.

I question wheather Rondo could carry a team as its alpha dog with good talent around him instead of great talent and a playmaker role like he has now. Those other guys I don't (mabey harris a bit)

I can't agree fully with your assesment that a great pg needs to be a sharpshooter. Harris and rondo are pretty much similiar in that they both make their teammates better, penetrate, fast, consistant this year but with harris having better offensive overall skils(jump shot) and rondo better defender.

And there is no point of putting deron williams name above rondo's name in any way. (did you not see rondo torture him the last game??)

Paul is i admit in another league and i'd say parker has an advantage over rondo too, but rondo, harris, williams are all in the same level. If rondo can nail the jumper consistantly to me he is the best pg in the league with cp3

1. I never said he had to be a sharp shooter, but he certainly needs to be better than he is. He's a .21 % on his jumpshot last time i looked. (which admittedly was 4-5 games ago). right now teams can't get away with just leaving him alone, they can't commit the second defender to help off a pick and roll. If teams didn't have to worry about GPA off rondo drives, i think his jumpshooting woes would be more of a problem don't you?

2. i Qualified that i wasen't sure on harris yet, though you dismiss his defense, which while not rajon good is nothing to laugh at.

3. ok, rondo beat D-will one game. I'm sorry, he is still abetter PG than rondo, plain and simple. If you can't see that objectivly, i can't help you.

Rondo outplayed CP3 once, arguably twice last season, who do you think is the better PG? by the logic of rajon's preformance against him being the only thing that matters, it has to be rajon.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:58:59 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2008, 03:09:03 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

I love Rondo's game as much as the next fan but D.Williams was still recovering from  ankle injury at the time they played last in Boston.He actually hadn't played that many games prior to that night.

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2008, 03:10:54 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
side note: how jacked is rajon? check this out.

I guess he is on the ray allen body fat % plan. I knew the kid was pretty cut for a guy his size, but christ.

also. look out david stern! paul's throwing up gang signs at an olympic sprinter! /biter rant off
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Is something peeking out of Perk's towel? :-X
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2008, 03:26:02 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Is something peeking out of Perk's towel? :-X

if it is, i just wonder if that part of him ever smiles...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Re: To much rondo
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2008, 03:36:55 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Pierce is taking himself out of the offense by being selfish and lazy relative to the rest of the team.
Are you being serious there?

Yes, absolutely.  I elaborated more in my other posts, so I won't here.  But he has been almost a black hole lately.  Just watch him...
Well, I can't say that I've followed this closely enough to be able to talk about it, but I'll get back to you on that one. My knee jerk reaction is how can you say such a thing, but since I have nothing to counter with I'll have to let the issue go for now.

I'd say more or less the same thing he said. I don't like Pierce's body  language and his lack of hustle running up and down the floor. Now he's always the last man on transitions. I think he's passing at his normal rate though.
I have felt like Pierce has been throttling his effort on defense, but it is just a feeling, so I don't want to put too much stock into it.

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2008, 04:02:06 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
This is an interesting topic to say the least. Very seldom do we see a player performing well to our knowledge, only to have a thread suggesting his play leaves something to be desired.

To the OP's credit, his observation is accurate. However, I feel that Rondo playing more aggressively, while calling off guys in the offense is how he functions best. I also think the big 3 wants him to be more assertive because in all fairness, Rondo's as important as anyone on that team. And when he takes it to the rim, he is getting to the line (when he's fouled) and making his shots. KG and Perkins (sometimes) set very good picks for him so when there's an open lane, what would you rather have him do, take the easy shot or make an extra pass?

When Rondo goes with the latter option, you usually see a missed, forced shot, or a teammate being called for 3 seconds because he waited too long to get the shot off.

Another thing, just because Rondo is a PG doesn't mean he has to be a playmaker all the time. The man is a scorer. You've been deceived by NBA "analysts" who insist that his role is best served being a "glue guy" who finds open guys for shots since he is not really a great shooter or scorer alone. This thinking is so wrong. Having watched Rondo for almost 2 and a half years here, it's obvious that he's a scorer more than anything else. I never said he couldn't pass. His passing ability is okay. But his scoring ability, when he chooses to take advantage of it, is pretty freeking good.

Re: To much rondo
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2008, 04:26:32 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Pierce is taking himself out of the offense by being selfish and lazy relative to the rest of the team.
Are you being serious there?

Yes, absolutely.  I elaborated more in my other posts, so I won't here.  But he has been almost a black hole lately.  Just watch him...
Well, I can't say that I've followed this closely enough to be able to talk about it, but I'll get back to you on that one. My knee jerk reaction is how can you say such a thing, but since I have nothing to counter with I'll have to let the issue go for now.

I'd say more or less the same thing he said. I don't like Pierce's body  language and his lack of hustle running up and down the floor. Now he's always the last man on transitions. I think he's passing at his normal rate though.

Good point here. Probably the only one on this thread really worthy of any discussion. The reason Paul's not getting his with more regularity is that he's not running hard with Rondo when Rondo has the ball. He doesn't fill wings as often as Ray does. He is almost ALWAYS the trailer on any break these days. Are his knees still bothering him, Is he tired? Lazy? Or simply preferring these days to take an open 3 because he knows other guys will run. It should be obvious to everyone on this roster now that if you run with Rondo he will get you open looks. To his credit Paul does get open looks. They just happen to be more of the jumpshot variety. But there's no reason at all in my mind why Paul can't fill a lane more and get ahead of his man just as often as he trails a break.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2008, 04:54:16 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
side note: how jacked is rajon? check this out.

I guess he is on the ray allen body fat % plan. I knew the kid was pretty cut for a guy his size, but christ.

also. look out david stern! paul's throwing up gang signs at an olympic sprinter! /biter rant off

Yup. I find it funny that people some times talk about him as if he's never seen a gym. He's jacked, but the wirey frame is what makes him look skinny in the Uni.  Skip (Raefer Alston) didn't know what he had coming his way last year.  :D

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »

Online jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
The Knicks last night did have too much Rondo

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2008, 07:11:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
dwilliams is better than rondo?? Pretty much just at shooting. How about rondo scorches him on defense?? How about rondo scorches him when they meet??

There is also not many teams that dwilliams gets beat by and same goes for rondo

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2008, 08:35:55 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
dwilliams is better than rondo?? Pretty much just at shooting. How about rondo scorches him on defense?? How about rondo scorches him when they meet??

There is also not many teams that dwilliams gets beat by and same goes for rondo

see the posts above yours on this issue.

again, i ask you, Rondo outplayed CP3 2 out of 3 times, who's the better PG?

your logic here would suggest rondo by a wide margin.

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2008, 09:04:54 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
also, for those who think there's some sort of dissent between how rondo's running the team and how it's supposed to be going down, and that he's not thinking of involving his teamates;

He reminds me of the way the game was played 15 or 20 years ago,” coach Doc Rivers, pointing back to his own era as a player, said of Rondo. “This is the way point guards played back then. When he runs the pick and roll, he’s not thinking of how he can score. He’s looking for the way to run the team in the best way possible. On the first timeout (Sunday) he asked if he was running the pick and roll too much, and I asked him, ‘Are we scoring every time? So keep doing it.’ ”

full article: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1140846&srvc=sports&position=3

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2008, 09:43:34 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
That Picture with usian bolt is hilarious on so many different levels...but why is it that Sam Cassell always seems to find a way into the picture...ugh guys like wheres waldo
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce