Author Topic: Too much rondo  (Read 14179 times)

Re: To much rondo
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 10:17:04 PM »

Offline Hova

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I am totally with you Toine43 about BrickJames. How can you say that about the Captain?

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 10:18:22 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
You would think that the Knicks would realize after the 3rd straight field goal from Rondo that Rondo would take the 4th one and rotate their defense...

and about Rondo... I see no problem with it. Rondo makes plays when it's needed. Ray Allen and Pierce started to just gobble the ball.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 10:22:15 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Pierce is taking himself out of the offense by being selfish and lazy relative to the rest of the team.
Are you being serious there?

Yes, absolutely.  I elaborated more in my other posts, so I won't here.  But he has been almost a black hole lately.  Just watch him...
Well, I can't say that I've followed this closely enough to be able to talk about it, but I'll get back to you on that one. My knee jerk reaction is how can you say such a thing, but since I have nothing to counter with I'll have to let the issue go for now.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I think hes being a little to aggresive on the offensive end. He needs to be more of a pure point guard. He has been taking a ton of shots, a lot of nights he has the most field goal attempts. We play better as a team when he has 15 assists then when he has 26 points and 5 assists. I think he is one of the reasons why Pierce has been not so aggresive offensively and is becoming frustrated with Rondo and the rest of the offense.

Is this a joke? Seriously. It has to be right?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 10:33:58 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Way off....rondo has to be agreesive, theres no such thing as him being too aggressive...
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 10:38:38 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Pierce is taking himself out of the offense by being selfish and lazy relative to the rest of the team.

Yes, absolutely.  I elaborated more in my other posts, so I won't here.  But he has been almost a black hole lately.  Just watch him...

Not even true, Ive seen him makes a number of nice passes in nearly every game, and even games where he should've shot but instead passed to ray...he always finds KG for his jumper,Ray for his 3, Eddie etc...
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

Re: Too much rondo
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 11:03:57 PM »

Offline I Am A Boston Celtic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
Can we give out Negative Tommy Points for this topic?

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 11:04:52 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Way off....rondo has to be agreesive, theres no such thing as him being too aggressive...

exactly!

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 11:13:54 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I really don't care about any individual player 'getting his'.

2 important points:

1 - Rondo is younger. Let him carry his share of the load. I would rather see Perk and Rondo do more of the work early in the season with the Big 3 being relied on less.
2 - There is a defense. The Celtics are not running practice drills. They need to run what fits the defense they are facing. Clearly, they were able to do that in the 3rd, when Rondo went 9 for 9. Anyone complaining about a philosophy that led to a player going 9 for 9 in a quarter while *increasing* the lead is hard to take seriously.

Everybody on the team is taking a hit on their scoring. Fortunately, they are all able to accept that.

What is bizarre about this thread is rondo shot over 80%. What does the OP want Rondo to do? Not shoot when he gets to the hoop? Our offense is built on Rondo penetrating and disrupting the defense. When the defense collapses on him, he finds the open man. If the defensive players stay with their men, should he force a pass when he can get to the hoop? Makes no sense.

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 11:53:07 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
If he was launching threes and jump shots I might agree with you.  But he was getting to the basket and making wide open layups. 

He's a creator out on the floor.  He creates layups for himself, and for others.  I don't care who's putting the ball in the hole as long as it gets there, I don't think anyone else on this team doesn either.

I think Rajon's been great this year at getting the ball to the right man.  Remember that one game he had about 8 assists to Ray Allen alone.  When KG or Paul or even Perk is feeling it he gets them the ball.

Tonight he recognized that he was the hot one.  He was getting to the basket at will against the awful offense of the Knicks, it was his job as the PG to feed himself.  He was the one that was feeling it.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 12:53:46 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I really don't care about any individual player 'getting his'.

Kaboom - TP, guava. I root for the name on front of the jersey.

While I hate to sound stubborn, you'll have an uphill battle convincing me that performances like this from the point guard don't help make this team more dangerous offensively.

The 16 in the 'playoff wins' column is the stat that matters to me. 

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 04:05:34 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Let's look at some numbers:

The C's are 26 and 2. 18 W's in a row.
Rondo shot 12 of 14 from the field.
That's a whopping 85.7 FG pct...

No such thing as "too aggressive"!

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 05:04:28 AM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Rondo' is not being too aggresive, he can never be too aggresive when looking ahead to what kind of competition we will face come playoff time.

Pierce can get his shots when ever he see's fit, Paul's problem if he has any right now is boredom with the regular season, he needs that Laker game in a few days as much as the entire Laker team does.

I think you will see a renewed Paul when we pick up the basketball again after Christmas
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 05:37:38 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Well, I can't say that I've followed this closely enough to be able to talk about it, but I'll get back to you on that one. My knee jerk reaction is how can you say such a thing, but since I have nothing to counter with I'll have to let the issue go for now.

I'd say more or less the same thing he said. I don't like Pierce's body  language and his lack of hustle running up and down the floor. Now he's always the last man on transitions. I think he's passing at his normal rate though.

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 08:12:01 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Pierce's issue has been shot selection, and a bad shooting touch not Rondo. In my opinion, He has been shooting off the dribble, and trying to create for himself more than necessary. Pierce hasn't been letting the other guys create good looks for him as much as last year, and is failing to capitalize on some open shots (3pters mainly). He's been shooting a little bit further from the basket in comparison to last season, and has been missing some open shots. Once he starts playing closer to the basket and lets guys create for him he'll be fine.