Author Topic: giddens and walker here  (Read 5351 times)

Re: giddens and walker here
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 12:27:55 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think Giddens or Walker will be playing much next year either. The only exception would be that in order to reduce minutes of either Ray or Paul neither would be allowed to play with the second very much. The problem with this is Doc has shown that he doesn't mind playing Eddie and Pruitt at the same time. However cutting the big 3's minutes down to about 25 if possible would extend own championship window by 3 more years after this year.
As far as trading Ray next year, not going to happen. Do you trade away one of your best players on a team that is playing at a record setting pace for possible back to back champions. Trading him for other talent might improve the team, but it's an unnecessary gamble on such a good team.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 12:41:40 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I just don't see Danny extending Ray. He would be a 35 year old SG at that time and there just hasn't been that many SGs that hit that age and can still perform to the level that Ray is right now. Ray is an incredible physical specimen and one of the smartest players in the league so him resigning isn't completely out of the question, especially if he is playing alongside perrenial All Star Rajon Rondo, but I just don't see it. $24-36 million investments in 35 year old SGs usually aren't very intelligent fiscal decsions.
Reggie Miller ;D

I do agree it is unlikely. The point was if he is still in dynamite condition and nothing better is available or a decent trade doesnt happen, then I think we keep him if the price is right. Probably only one year extension in any event if it did happen. 8)

I have to agree with this. Without knowing the cost, it is pointless to count ray out. If he would sign cheap, why not?

I think Danny would have to receive a seriously amazing offer to trade Ray either before or during next season. And it wouldn't surprise me to see him resigned at 2 years for 10-12 mil either.

On one side I can completely see nick's point about not investing 10-12 mil in 35 year old shooting guards but if he did 2 years if Ray would agree to something like that, worse come to worse after one year he becomes a trade piece again.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 07:51:29 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I just don't see Danny extending Ray. He would be a 35 year old SG at that time and there just hasn't been that many SGs that hit that age and can still perform to the level that Ray is right now. Ray is an incredible physical specimen and one of the smartest players in the league so him resigning isn't completely out of the question, especially if he is playing alongside perrenial All Star Rajon Rondo, but I just don't see it. $24-36 million investments in 35 year old SGs usually aren't very intelligent fiscal decsions.
Reggie Miller ;D

I do agree it is unlikely. The point was if he is still in dynamite condition and nothing better is available or a decent trade doesnt happen, then I think we keep him if the price is right. Probably only one year extension in any event if it did happen. 8)

I have to agree with this. Without knowing the cost, it is pointless to count ray out. If he would sign cheap, why not?

I think Danny would have to receive a seriously amazing offer to trade Ray either before or during next season. And it wouldn't surprise me to see him resigned at 2 years for 10-12 mil either.

On one side I can completely see nick's point about not investing 10-12 mil in 35 year old shooting guards but if he did 2 years if Ray would agree to something like that, worse come to worse after one year he becomes a trade piece again.

The C's might be bidding against themselves if they offer Ray 10-12 mil at 35 years old.  I doubt any other team would offer him that.  At that age, he might settle for the full mid level to stay with the Celtics.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 08:00:57 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I'm wondering why people like Walker so much more than Giddens.  Just my opinion of course, but I like Giddens' game much more than Walker, because Giddens has an all around game... really fills up the stat sheet and is an excellent defender and great rebounder, which I know Danny likes.  I guess Giddens is more expendable because Ainge offered him up in a trade to clear a roster spot, but it's possible that Ainge might think he has more trade value because he's been playing a bit better than Walker, and because of Walker's injury history.

I'd rather keep Giddens though.  Unfortunately for Giddens, Walker plays a position of need for the Celtics (although they are about the same height).  Giddens would be the perfect replacement for Tony next season or the season after if we hold onto him.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 09:04:05 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm wondering why people like Walker so much more than Giddens.  Just my opinion of course, but I like Giddens' game much more than Walker, because Giddens has an all around game... really fills up the stat sheet and is an excellent defender and great rebounder, which I know Danny likes.  I guess Giddens is more expendable because Ainge offered him up in a trade to clear a roster spot, but it's possible that Ainge might think he has more trade value because he's been playing a bit better than Walker, and because of Walker's injury history.

I'd rather keep Giddens though.  Unfortunately for Giddens, Walker plays a position of need for the Celtics (although they are about the same height).  Giddens would be the perfect replacement for Tony next season or the season after if we hold onto him.
I agree that I'd rather have Giddens.  Walker has the game/body of a 6'4" power forward.  If he doesn't learn to shoot, I don't see that working out.

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 12:10:02 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Am I the only one who suspects Pruitt, Giddens and Walker will be primary backups by this time next season, playing 12-15 minutes per game?

Leon is not coming back and the Davis-O'Bryant Experience leaves me feeling empty.

I think this team will be in a much better situation if it can move House-TA-Scal for an solid four or five. How many times do bad teams dump good players for salary purposes? Here is my wishlist:

Andres Nocioni
Gerald Wallace
Chris Kaman
Nick Collison
Chris Wilcox
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi