Author Topic: giddens and walker here  (Read 5352 times)

giddens and walker here
« on: December 21, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
nothing against these two guys. they both seem to be pretty talented but is it unlikely they ever see quality time here? i think this year most would agree they won't be contributing. it seems to me it woul be unlikely that either could leapfrog tony allen. even if one improved a lot tony will have a lot of experience under his belt and i don't think either will supplant eddie or gabe. these young guys are obviously gonna be looking to get some experience and you would think could find time on other teams. how do you guys predict this playing out NEXT year?  oh, another question- are we able to deal these guys for future picks and then the next year (if we till have no glaring needs)deal it again and again year to year?

Re: giddens and walker here
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
What does "it woul" mean?

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Danny has demonstrated that he likes to acquire as many players as possible, and then deal them to improve the position of the team. I see no change here. We have a lot of young guys on the team with a lot of perceived upside, so obviously Danny's going to be making some moves.  We have more depth than maybe any team in the league.  That allows for flexibility.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 05:37:57 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Walker is signed for four years at a very reasonable contract, so I expect he'll be around for awhile.  If he doesn't pan out next year, we still have two more years of him to make an impact.  Ultimately, I think he will, because he has a ton of talent.

I haven't seen enough of Giddens to make an informed decision, but I certainly like his athletic gifts.  From what scouts say, he may have the potential to defend three positions, and if he develops a more consistent outside shot, I don't see why he couldn't be a rotation player at some point.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 05:51:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think both guys might get the opportunity to play some good minutes next year as Walker is extremely talented and the only other real SF on this team other than Pierce and because there's no guarantee Tony Allen will be back even though he's signed through next year so Giddens could take over the back up SG spot.

Tony next year might maximize his potential for trade value around the league if he continues to have a solid season and shows he can contribute during the playoffs. He will be a $2.5 million expiring contract who will have proven to be an effective bench player and possible defensive stopper at the SG position. Danny might see it as an opportunity to cash in on him, Scal, and Ray as expiring deals to acquire some nice talent to extend the championship window.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 05:54:29 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
this is another example of the fact that celtics fan have grown a custom to watching rookies and second year players come in and be MAJOR contributors. thats the type of thing that happens during REBUILDING, or just on bad teams. Good teams, championship teams have their big players, their solid bench, and the young guys that will ride the bench and gain slight experience for when its their time.

Sam Jones avg'd his 10 minutes 5pts his rookie season and by his 3rd year was a major contributor at 26 minutes 15 pts a game. he was drafted 8th overall and could have easily been a starter on a lesser team. But thats the type of stuff you have to go through if you want to be a player on a Dynasty, even big draft pics have to earn their role on a team that expects to compete EVERY year.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 06:15:28 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Tony next year might maximize his potential for trade value around the league if he continues to have a solid season and shows he can contribute during the playoffs. He will be a $2.5 million expiring contract who will have proven to be an effective bench player and possible defensive stopper at the SG position. Danny might see it as an opportunity to cash in on him, Scal, and Ray as expiring deals to acquire some nice talent to extend the championship window.

Should the Celts win it again this year, I have a hard time picturing even Ainge seriously meddling with the starting five (in regards to trading R. Allen) in the offseason. Besides, with the exception of an unforseen and unfathomable spike in value from one of Giddens/Walker/TA/Pruitt/ the 2010 29th or 30th pick/ O'Bryant, I don't really see any assets the C's have to pull off a trade for an impact player. Who would see a ton of value in Allens expiring deal by itself?

In regards to Giddens, didn't Ainge try to shop him around the league for a first round pick? I thought that I read that somewhere, and that there were no takers. Obviously, that could change. As for Walker, I could see him somewhere down the line absorbing six fouls in nine minutes in a valuable role coming off the bench attempting to guard Lebron James.

Not this year.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 06:42:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Should the Celts win it again this year, I have a hard time picturing even Ainge seriously meddling with the starting five (in regards to trading R. Allen) in the offseason. Besides, with the exception of an unforseen and unfathomable spike in value from one of Giddens/Walker/TA/Pruitt/ the 2010 29th or 30th pick/ O'Bryant, I don't really see any assets the C's have to pull off a trade for an impact player. Who would see a ton of value in Allens expiring deal by itself?

In regards to Giddens, didn't Ainge try to shop him around the league for a first round pick? I thought that I read that somewhere, and that there were no takers. Obviously, that could change. As for Walker, I could see him somewhere down the line absorbing six fouls in nine minutes in a valuable role coming off the bench attempting to guard Lebron James.

Not this year.
Well, I happen to disagree.

Danny has stated that the Celtics made a mistake hanging onto the original Big Three as long as they did and if he was in charge back then he would have traded them away while they still had great value.

If he feels that way and with Ray next season starting the year as a 34 year old SG, Danny may not get a better opportunity to maximize Ray's value as a trading asset. Ray, Scal and Tony as a package will give a team almost $25 million worth of cap room for the big FA off season that year.

You never know who Danny might be able to turn that into that would get the team younger while still keeping it contending for a championship. Maybe Philly wants to get out from under Dalembert and Iguodala's contracts. Maybe Phoenix wants to go after a couple of big names and wants to deal Jason Richardson and Leandro Barbosa. Perhaps Dallas needs to get into the market so they deal Howard and Terry. Perhaps someone you wouldn't expect to become available will that Danny could package these guys for.

Anything is possible.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 06:44:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
We don't have big enough holes in our rotation for these guys to get run. If Paul, Ray, or TA get injured for a week or two, we will see one of those guys come up.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 09:09:21 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

Not this year.
Well, I happen to disagree.

Danny has stated that the Celtics made a mistake hanging onto the original Big Three as long as they did and if he was in charge back then he would have traded them away while they still had great value.

If he feels that way and with Ray next season starting the year as a 34 year old SG, Danny may not get a better opportunity to maximize Ray's value as a trading asset. Ray, Scal and Tony as a package will give a team almost $25 million worth of cap room for the big FA off season that year.

You never know who Danny might be able to turn that into that would get the team younger while still keeping it contending for a championship. Maybe Philly wants to get out from under Dalembert and Iguodala's contracts. Maybe Phoenix wants to go after a couple of big names and wants to deal Jason Richardson and Leandro Barbosa. Perhaps Dallas needs to get into the market so they deal Howard and Terry. Perhaps someone you wouldn't expect to become available will that Danny could package these guys for.

Anything is possible.
Or he could extend Ray for a year or two. especially if he is playing at a high level and gives us a discount at say 12 million per. That is a bargain that would be hard to pass up. I think we can certainly add a few nice second tier players at the full midlevel if we use it right. As to trading Tony, Scal or POB we can do that at a moments notice but we just need the right deal.

Let us not forget that we bought Rondo (via mid first round draft pick) for cold hard cash. Who is to say that we (Danny) cannot do it again this coming year? Plenty of teams looking to pick up cash and lighten rosters a bit.

Anything truly is possible. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I just don't see Danny extending Ray. He would be a 35 year old SG at that time and there just hasn't been that many SGs that hit that age and can still perform to the level that Ray is right now. Ray is an incredible physical specimen and one of the smartest players in the league so him resigning isn't completely out of the question, especially if he is playing alongside perrenial All Star Rajon Rondo, but I just don't see it. $24-36 million investments in 35 year old SGs usually aren't very intelligent fiscal decsions.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 10:33:34 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I just don't see Danny extending Ray. He would be a 35 year old SG at that time and there just hasn't been that many SGs that hit that age and can still perform to the level that Ray is right now. Ray is an incredible physical specimen and one of the smartest players in the league so him resigning isn't completely out of the question, especially if he is playing alongside perrenial All Star Rajon Rondo, but I just don't see it. $24-36 million investments in 35 year old SGs usually aren't very intelligent fiscal decsions.
Reggie Miller ;D

I do agree it is unlikely. The point was if he is still in dynamite condition and nothing better is available or a decent trade doesnt happen, then I think we keep him if the price is right. Probably only one year extension in any event if it did happen. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 11:16:34 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Reggie Miller ;D

I do agree it is unlikely. The point was if he is still in dynamite condition and nothing better is available or a decent trade doesnt happen, then I think we keep him if the price is right. Probably only one year extension in any event if it did happen. 8)

I have to agree with this. Without knowing the cost, it is pointless to count ray out. If he would sign cheap, why not?

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 12:09:48 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Reggie Miller ;D

I have to agree with this. Without knowing the cost, it is pointless to count ray out. If he would sign cheap, why not?

exactly, if ray takes a pay cut then we can afford to go right some bench players. or use that money towards keeping some of our young talent on the books.

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 12:11:39 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
"You never know who Danny might be able to turn that into that would get the team younger while still keeping it contending for a championship. Maybe Philly wants to get out from under Dalembert and Iguodala's contracts. Maybe Phoenix wants to go after a couple of big names and wants to deal Jason Richardson and Leandro Barbosa. Perhaps Dallas needs to get into the market so they deal Howard and Terry. Perhaps someone you wouldn't expect to become available will that Danny could package these guys for."

Nick, were those example of trades you would be in favor of, or were you just throwing out ideas? Iguodala and Dalembert both have contracts I would want no part of. I also see both of these players as one dimensional. In my opinion, neither of these players have ever lived up to their expectations. I would not trade Ray Allen for them.

I think Richardson is a fine player, but I do not think he would fit into the Celtic offense. Barbosa is a great bench player, he could probably win 6th man of the year with us. But I would not be in favor of paying a bench player seven million. I would not trade Ray Allen for these guys either.

Jason Terry is 31 years old already, he would be 32 when the potential deal would happen. From what I have seen of Dallas, Terry is already on the decline. I do not consider Terry to be anywhere near as good as Ray Allen right now, so why would Terry become better when he is already past his prime? Josh Howard is fine player, however, in my opinion, he is a career overachiever. Howard may also be chronically injury prone in the future. His game is also a bit redundant with pierce's game.

If this is Ray Allen's trade value, I would be in favor of extending Ray for two more years at 10 - 12 million a year, and extending Pierce for an additional year. This would give Boston the room to add young mid level exception talents.

I would have to get a deal that would really blow me away to trade Ray Allen. Because I think he will be a better player than the players you mentioned for another 2-3 years.