Author Topic: The Prospect Watch  (Read 10899 times)

Re: The Prospect Watch
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 11:33:06 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I still prefer to close my eyes and dream of an NBA Minor League system that has a similar structure and appeal as MLB's.

Then I open my eyes and realize and it just can't be...Thus: the NBDL
Yup

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I still prefer to close my eyes and dream of an NBA Minor League system that has a similar structure and appeal as MLB's.

i think theres a huge gap even between the sludge of nba talent and the leading starters in d-league, unlike in baseball and hockey.

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

i think theres a huge gap even between the sludge of nba talent and the leading starters in d-league, unlike in baseball and hockey.

Absolutely.  In dreamworld it would be cool if there was a deeper talent base, and some great action for B-level cities to support etc...Out of all the major sports basketball is definitely the most exclusive club at the top level.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 05:25:46 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Absolutely.  In dreamworld it would be cool if there was a deeper talent base, and some great action for B-level cities to support etc...Out of all the major sports basketball is definitely the most exclusive club at the top level.

I don't see it happening.   I think there is too much talent spread across the globe such as the Euroleague to have a really developed farm system like in baseball. 

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 05:42:21 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The NBA is not going to give big enough contracts to prospects just to send them to minor leagues. Players can play in other countries for way more than NBA minimum contracts or paltry NBDL contracts.

Baseball can have a minor leagues because is it not a popular sport internationally.

I guess having a real minor league system would could work. We would have to re-allow drafting out of high school, and allow teams to have 25 man rosters, with only 15 in the 'big leagues' at a time, and rules for optioning players back and forth. This would also remove pressure to play draft picks right away.

I do not think the Players Union would ever agree to this, since the salaries for the minor league players would make less money available for the veterans.

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 06:09:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The NBA is not going to give big enough contracts to prospects just to send them to minor leagues. Players can play in other countries for way more than NBA minimum contracts or paltry NBDL contracts.

Baseball can have a minor leagues because is it not a popular sport internationally.

I guess having a real minor league system would could work. We would have to re-allow drafting out of high school, and allow teams to have 25 man rosters, with only 15 in the 'big leagues' at a time, and rules for optioning players back and forth. This would also remove pressure to play draft picks right away.

I do not think the Players Union would ever agree to this, since the salaries for the minor league players would make less money available for the veterans.

Just the same, it should increase job opportunities for the veterans, and chances are that their careers would be prolonged.

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
This is just what I've noticed from the boxscores. I really wish i could see these guys play some.

Game tonight in 45 minutes if you're interested. You can watch it here:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/dleague_webcasts.html

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 08:46:19 PM »

Offline albert

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • ubuntu.

I don't see it happening.   I think there is too much talent spread across the globe such as the Euroleague to have a really developed farm system like in baseball. 
That pretty much sums it up. Baseball's minor league system didn't come about as we know it until around WWII. Pretty much due to segregation and Jim Crow, the Negro Leagues developed as a separate league and then WWII comes along and drains most of the talent from the league. Branch Rickey of Brooklyn Dodgers fame then takes the bold move and recruits Jackie Robinson along with a bunch of other black prospects and helps to usher in what we know as the minors.

What does that have to do with the d-league, well if you look at it in terms of talent then most of it is already in the NBA. The arguable equivalent of Rickey's farm system is basically Europe and maybe some of the S. American national teams like Argentina, and of course college ball, but that's it.. the basketball minors will probably never turn out to be like baseball's minors simply because integration has by and large happened already in the league.
Bleed Green. What does it mean?

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 09:59:27 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Minor leagues won't happen cuz they won't pay enough. Baseball can do it because it isn't a popular sport internationally, so there aren't many options.

Beyond that, the players union won't allow it. Players won't agree to have the money available for rosters be spread out among minor leaguers also.

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 10:00:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Did Walker ever return to the game after banging his head?

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 10:46:54 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Not that I've seen. Though I think he's there in the bench.

Giddens has been a non-factor tonight... but at times it feels like he's the only one concerned with playing a bit of team basketball.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:52:06 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 11:49:35 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
They were talking about how Giddens was acting like he hurt his right wrist at some point during the game.  It looks like both of our rookies got banged up a bit... hopefully neither causes them to miss any time.

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 01:04:07 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
It was very annoying watching the game. Everyone is looking out for themselves, and Giddens was always open on the weakside, but no one gave him the ball. At times you could go through 5 possessions without Giddens even touching the ball.

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 04:52:41 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Yes, but this is the first game that this has happened in - both Walker and Giddens have been the two feature options for the first 6 games.

This was a byproduct of injury - both are very minor - the two will be back to business by the next game or so...and both have been playing very strong basketball leading up to this game...

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 04:58:01 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
The guy's a beast in this league, a real load in the low post, as they say. He is a big-time talent, and was a level above almost everyone,  if not everyone,  on the court. He's only 6-foot-6, but he's got a lot of bulk and natural skill. At times, Walker has had too much bulk, apparently, sometimes battling weight issues. I'm not sure he's in tremendous shape right now. He's also a wildcard in terms of his demeanor and attitude. In his short stay with the Celtics earlier this season, he got into a an altercation with Kevin Garnett at practice and Tracy McGrady in a game against Houston. Celtics broadcaster Tommy Heinsohn referred to Walker as the 'most combative of the Celtics.' Without trying to read too much into body language, etc., Walker didn't appear to be pumped about being in Bakersfield and doesn't appear to be thrilled about playing in the D-League. It's that attitude, apparently, that is keeping him from the NBA

http://www.examiner.com/x-441-Golden-State-Warriors-Examiner~y2008m12d8-Two-NBA-DLeague-games-four-teams-and-five-prospects

I think that the lack of skills is his primarily problem; but since watching him in college that I've questioned if Walker is mentally ready to play in the NBA.

Anyway, I wonder if we got the right coach for them:

Giddens isn’t much of a 3-point shooter, and he doesn’t do anything that overwhelms you but at game’s end, when you assess his play he’s usually left a positive imprint.

Giddens is averaging 20 points and seven assists per game, and shooting an impressive .566 from the field.

Apparently, Giddens has some Bill Walker in him also. While at the University of Kansas, Giddens was involved in a bar fight, was stabbed and received 30 stitches.

He was placed on probation for a year and ordered to take anger management classes. He was also suspended at New Mexico for his attitude.

I mention the attitude stuff with Walker and Giddens because during the fourth quarter of the game I saw, their coach, Brad Jones, became so incensed during a timeout, that he actually slammed his clipboard to the floor, where it proceeded to shatter into approximately a half-dozen pieces.

Jones also got a technical foul for a separate tirade, this one directed toward officials.

You are taking this written report as proof-positive of something when in actuality it is not an accurate representation of either player or how things are running down on the farm.

the coach has been anything but frustrated with the play of either player and both are easily playing the most effective team ball of anyone.

His frustration is not toward those two, but the rest of the group of players who are not acting as a unit.

I know you don't have first hand information, but don't let that confuse you into believing a source that also doesn't have first-hand information...