Author Topic: The Davis Weight Watch  (Read 22944 times)

Re: The Davis Weight Watch
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2008, 03:50:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2008, 03:59:22 PM »

Offline kendrick kite

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0

[/quote]

If he ever gets to 240-250, Davis will be the NBDL's best tweener.  His bulk is what makes him a factor inside.  At 6-8, 240, Davis would get pushed around by taller, bigger 4s and 5s and still would be way too slow to play the 3.  At 270-280, he's got the bulk and unique skills to compete as a short 4/5.  But he needs both bulk and skills to compete at his height.
[/quote]

i don't understand why you guys are fixated on davis' weight number.  he is by definition a physical oddity.  like barkley was.  barkley was 6-4 and fat/heavy in stature and weighed between 250 and 300 in his career.  he was better when he was slimmer but he was a freak compared to most guys his height.  so is davis- but in a little bit different way. 

i watched an interview of davis in mid season last year with tommy interviewing him and davis said that he came into camp at 290 and had GAINED 20 lbs. net by working out rigorously- that is to say that he had lost a bunch of fat but gained even more muscle to the tune of a 20lb net gain.  then doc fiddled his minutes around and he lost his conditioning and probably gained 10 lbs. toward the end of the season.

are you guys sure you have him at 275 down from 320-330?  that's a hell of a weight loss?  this guy just doesn't have the frame to fit into normal size guidelines.  i think he could be a mean strong and lean 270 and he likely won't ever get any lighter than that.  remembah danny fortson at 6-6 260/70?  davis is bigger than him!  why do we expect him to weigh less?

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2008, 05:01:39 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I'd like to see BBD put on 10-15 more pounds, so long as it's muscle and not flab.  Eat your protein, young man.  Have as much fish and lean beef as you want, and get into that weight room.  We'll have you over 300 lbs before you know it.

No doughnuts.  No fried chicken.  No potatoes.  Sorry.

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2008, 11:37:57 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

http://www.yahoo.com/s/975111

this deserves its own thread but i will  keep it here just because similarities, sorry if someone post this first
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2008, 02:22:40 AM »

Offline Justwar

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Davis will always be big.  He got bad habits by being a great defensive tackle in HS and they needed him to be huge.  Davis probably should of stayed into football and probably would be a even richer man.  He's a very good basketball player but one who has to be a niche player.  I'm sure if he was 265, he would be a starter somewhere, but that takes discipline and he's a big kid at heart maturity wise.

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2008, 01:49:55 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm having a hard time with a couple parts of this thread.

1. The Barkley thing

I get that Barkley was a short and strong power forward, but the similarities end there. That's it. No similarity in style, athleticism, etc. Barkley's skill, agility, and leaping all dwarf Davis's. He was also in significantly better shape and significantly trimmer than BBD ever has been. I mean, let's remind ourselves, check out these pictures:

2. The weight arguments

In all my experience playing sports and following progessional sports, outside of being a football lineman, gaining weight is only useful when you are already in very good shape and you are only gaining muscle mass. Being out of shape and gaining more weight just puts more stress on your body and slows you down. Someone like BBD needs to lose a lot of weight to become a much better player. Getting in shape, even if he retains the same muscle mass, will not make him easier to push around; that's simply not true, at least in any significant way that wouldn't be more than offset by drastically improved quickness and leaping ability. Arguments that BBD needs "bulk" to be effective, and that this bulk is provided by his carrying around a significant amount of fat are pure hogwash and, in my opinion, have no basis in any kind of fact but are instead based upon anecdotes meant to express something we want to believe. In other words, when the assumption is that BBD is a good player, and people develop an affection for him and are trying to relieve him of the burden of having to lose weight, they retroactively conjure arguments that being fatter is what makes him more effective. Any "bulk" that BBD has would still be provided by his muscle mass and large bone structure, not his extra fat. I wager that no one in the NBA has ever lost effectiveness as a player by getting in better shape, which is all that many people want BBD to do. Go look at the pictures of Barkley again, and argue that BBD would be less productive than he is now if he worked his body to look like that.

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Also, there's a reason he slipped in the draft. It's because he's overweight and not in prime condition, and he has a lot of warning signs that this will continue to get worse, not better. Considering that this is the reason that so many teams passed on him, doesn't it stand to reason that his size is a negative and not a plus?

And I'm not a Baby hater. On draft night I was very happy to get him, as I thought he was great value and potential for where he was drafted. But I don't really want to delude myself into thinking he's anything like Barkley, or even a starter in this league, until he makes drastic changes. As it stands, I expect him to work reasonably hard and be a fairly useful productive bench player.

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/aub-centennial.html

Here's a link that lists Barkley at 6'6" and 265 lbs. at Auburn and there's a picture. It's fairly easy to see that Baby was and probably always will be much fatter than the Round Mound of Rebound.

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2008, 05:18:12 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Big Baby will never have the hops of Chuck either.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Big Baby will never have the hops of Chuck either.
This is a good point and I have an opinion for the possible reason why. Barkley and Big Baby have one similarity that I havent seen mentioned that is very significant. Both of these guys have strong legs and a very good base from the hips down, regardless of the weight carried. The difference being, Charles had a strong and leaner upper body. Big Baby, while very strong also has a lot more mass in his upper body.

The obvious part is/was his gut. I give him mild props for getting started on reducing that, but his girth (chest to waistline) is still too big. This is where he carries too much and will never be able to get the lift of a guy like Barkley.

This is where he is most hurting in terms of conditioning IMO. I believe that like Perk and Al Jefferson, he can apply himself to the Celtics conditioning program that Brian Doo offers and in a couple of years convert this extra mass to useable muscle.

I do seem to remember that Perk and Big Al were nowhere near as big and it took until their third season to really see a big difference in Body Shape. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I'd be surprised if BBD is every more then a mediocre bench player to be honest. I do think he has a better body type for football. His strength with his good footwork would have been a force..

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2008, 10:51:19 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/aub-centennial.html

Here's a link that lists Barkley at 6'6" and 265 lbs. at Auburn and there's a picture. It's fairly easy to see that Baby was and probably always will be much fatter than the Round Mound of Rebound.
I know Barkley's height has no relevance to Davis's weight loss,but many players who played aganist him and with him has repeatedly said he is more closer to 6'4"and thats being generous.

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2008, 01:06:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think it's time to remove this thread from the sticky threads. I think it served its purpose well in entertaining us through the season.

« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2008, 05:30:51 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I agree. Maybe this thread is why Davis cried...