Author Topic: The Davis Weight Watch  (Read 22946 times)

Re: The Davis Weight Watch
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 06:19:46 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
        Maybe he should call Thomas Hamilton up and find out what not to do.

speaking of THAM I read a good book by NBA Agent Keith Glass, called Taking Shots, and he actually represented Hamilton and rants about him and his work ethic - a kid who never got it - I actually read it because Glass is Paul Shirley's agent, whose book Can I Keep My Jersey is one of the best accounts of a journeyman athlete I've ever read - but yeah, two good summer reading books

As for BBD - keep him out of Louisiana, I gained like 5 pounds in a weekend there, the food is so good
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 08:40:14 AM »

Offline Celtix

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Here is Big Baby from an autograph session on July 19th.

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 08:44:02 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

as i told u before he really looks in good shape
his face looks slim
Thanks again

U saw him live ,, what do u think?

p.s. love the Posey comment u make to him.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 08:49:27 AM »

Offline Celtix

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5

as i told u before he really looks in good shape
his face looks slim
Thanks again

U saw him live ,, what do u think?

p.s. love the Posey comment u make to him.

He was about 45 minutes late for the 2-hour autograph session so we had to rush through in order for everyone to get an autograph.  I really was not paying much attention to his weight.  He seemed really nice.  I hope he is on the Perkins weight training program.  Remember how big Perkins used to be?

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 09:06:01 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
BBD's body fat percentage is apparently around 11% - 12%.  That's not bad, even for a basketball player.  He's a big guy, and he's got some fat, but looking at him without his shirt on, he's got some muscle tone, as well.

Absolutely NO CHANCE he is at 11% or 12%. They throw out those bodyfat numbers to fool the ignorant. Just like how Shaq was at 3% when at best he was at 10% in his hey day. Body fat is quite predictable via visual inspection of a shirtless man or woman.

For example - check this thread..

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=31392

It's well known in the bodybuilding/fitness community that below certain (rather high numbers) you can get a good idea of how fat a person is just by viewing them without a shirt. In the morbidly obese - granted this is more difficult. But despite what the politically correct tell you there are not groups of people out there that "look" fat but are actually at 11% bodyfat.

pete

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 10:32:35 AM »

Offline vwoodruff

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 45
I don't know if losing much more weight would be good for him. It could change his game.

For example, I used to weigh about 225. I worked crazy hours one summer in college and came back at like 190. The first time I stepped back on the court, I couldn't believe how easily I got pushed around w/o the extra weight. It pushed me to be more finesse.

Now Big Baby thrives because he is a banger with some interior finesse. You turn him into a more perimeter-oriented player and I think you lose his talents.

Of course, if he turned that pudge into rock... that's another story.

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 10:56:10 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Considering Baby is going into a contract year where he has the potential to earn several million dollars, I expect him to come into camp in the best shape possible. If he doesn't, I'd be worried that once he gets that next contract he'll probably lax a bit in his summer regiments... as almost all big guys do once they land their big contract extension.

C'mon, baby! Don't let me down!

That's exactly what we DON'T want to happen. The worst thing we could do is give a guy a big long contract when he only works out in time for a contract year. See Mark Blount... If a guy won't perform or keep in shape except when it's time to get paid, you don't want that guy on your squad anyway.

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 11:25:15 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Considering Baby is going into a contract year where he has the potential to earn several million dollars, I expect him to come into camp in the best shape possible. If he doesn't, I'd be worried that once he gets that next contract he'll probably lax a bit in his summer regiments... as almost all big guys do once they land their big contract extension.

That's exactly what we DON'T want to happen. The worst thing we could do is give a guy a big long contract when he only works out in time for a contract year. See Mark Blount... If a guy won't perform or keep in shape except when it's time to get paid, you don't want that guy on your squad anyway.

yea, but we've seen nothing blount esq out of baby yet, so i'm not goign to go there, baby deserves the benifit of the doubt.

thats the problem with guys first contracts though, no history to compare them against.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 12:27:28 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
its hard to lose weight when you've maintained that weight playing through hs, college, and the 4st year in the nba. i can see him loosing at most 20-30 pounds throughout his entire career.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2008, 12:59:30 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
He could easily lose 15 pounds of fat if he wanted to by the time the season starts. Considering his body now, he could probably lose 25 by the time the season starts just through working out and eating right. the question is whether or not he wants to. Either would make him a better player next year.

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2008, 01:36:53 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

yea, but we've seen nothing blount esq out of baby yet, so i'm not goign to go there, baby deserves the benifit of the doubt.

thats the problem with guys first contracts though, no history to compare them against.

It is definitely a much smaller sample size, but I would argue we HAVE seen something similar out of him. He busts his butt and gets in the best shape of his life in order to be drafted higher (although that really didn't work), and then as soon as he makes the team and signs his contract he follows it up with his rookie season of letting himself add 25-40 pounds (or that range) and is back to fat by the end of the year. That sounds a lot like a Blount type contract year move to me. I sure hope I am wrong though because he is way too talented, and way too nice a guy to eat his way out of the league. I think we are harder on Blount because he was such a jerk as well...

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2008, 05:27:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
does anyone know what davis' workout schedule is this summer? or whether the celtic trainers are watching what he eats and how much?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2008, 08:57:56 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I guess if he was offered good money for a few years and the contract had 'make good' weight goals with periodic checks, then if he refused to sign that would tell the story. If he is committed to working and staying in playing shape for the good of the team, he will have no problem with a contract like that.

In a situation like this you almost have to make some contract things public to avoid the 'he said, she said', unreasonable demands, being singled out, etc. that his agent might use to defend him. Cant blame the agent, he doesnt want to lose money because the guy cant control his eating.

Tough situation without clear guidelines IMO. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2008, 09:13:03 PM »

Offline Greg37

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
Davis is an intelligent person.  He understands to get to the next level
as an NBA rotation fixture, he has to get in better shape.  I think he will. He already is a good passer and he can finish in close with his left hand.  He has room for improvement and he knows that the guy who wants his minutes, Leon Powe is a very hard worker himself. It shapes up as a good competition in the years to come.

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 09:50:52 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Davis is an intelligent person.  He understands to get to the next level
as an NBA rotation fixture, he has to get in better shape.  I think he will. He already is a good passer and he can finish in close with his left hand.  He has room for improvement and he knows that the guy who wants his minutes, Leon Powe is a very hard worker himself. It shapes up as a good competition in the years to come.

I agree 100% with this. The problem though is that he WAS in shape that allowed him to get minutes early on, and then he let himself get OUT of shape which interestingly enough coincided with his drop in minutes and production. Hopefully it won't be an up and down thing because he will lose that battle long-term.