Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238660 times)

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1560 on: December 12, 2018, 08:42:23 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Williams showed last night he deserves more playing time. It took 5 guys being injured to get him significant minutes. Then he shows up the best big man in the League. That tells me maybe somebody has been missing something about him. Or maybe his skills are not appreciated? We need to see more of him on the court.

What I have seen of Williams so far is impressive, but I think he still needs experience.  It is not like he is lost out there but he is also not a complete player yet.  It is kind of like when the Patriots get a new receiver.  It takes a while for them to understand the entire playbook.  Williams does not have the whole playbook yet, on offense or defense.  But he is getting there.

« Reply #1561 on: December 12, 2018, 10:12:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I agree. He never showed up Davis. That is kinda nonsensical. And he didn't showed he deserved more playing time. It was one good game. What he showed is he is a hard worker and oozes potential, but is no way better than Baynes or Theis currently.

Davis shot 41% from the field and got two shots blocked by the rook.   You can bet he was aware of him to some degree and Davis shot over 50% with Theis on him.   Your simply not going to stop a superstar like Davis but Williams was more effective on defense against him than Theis.   The kid is a better rebounder than Theis or Baynes but we all know he is raw and needs tons of work.

Davis said this about the kid after game

"Yeah, I was surprised. I thought he was going to go for the pump fake, and he didn’t. I just tried to shoot over. He’s good. He’s talented. A good defensive player."

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/10/anthony-davis-talks-rookie-robert-williams-game-following-loss/

So he was willing to acknowledge the shock of getting blocked.

Williams deserves more playing time but he is not ready for all prime time.  I think he gives us a luxury to rest Horford and Baynes.   Theis should start.   Get those guys healed.   But Robert Williams is a legit NBA player, with talent.

He does lack shooting skills, and experience and is raw.   I hope we keep him because he has so much potential for growth and seems to be a hard worker thus far.  The best part of the game was seeing Al's proud look when Williams was doing well on the court.
I loved the way the bench cheered him on like they were all proud parents or brothers. Thought that was awesome.

And, yeah, I acknowledge he played great one on one defense on Davis. Davis does too. But he didn't show him up. I mean that is not the first time Davis has had his shot blocked.

« Reply #1562 on: December 12, 2018, 10:45:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Williams showed last night he deserves more playing time. It took 5 guys being injured to get him significant minutes. Then he shows up the best big man in the League. That tells me maybe somebody has been missing something about him. Or maybe his skills are not appreciated? We need to see more of him on the court.

What I have seen of Williams so far is impressive, but I think he still needs experience.  It is not like he is lost out there but he is also not a complete player yet.  It is kind of like when the Patriots get a new receiver.  It takes a while for them to understand the entire playbook.  Williams does not have the whole playbook yet, on offense or defense.  But he is getting there.

I agree. Reminds me of Dennis Rodman his rookie year.  He even trots up and down the court like Rodman, like a young colt prancing.  I love this kid.

« Reply #1563 on: December 13, 2018, 04:32:56 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
TimeLord has outplayed Theis two games in a row

« Reply #1564 on: December 13, 2018, 04:50:17 AM »

Offline Alec14

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
I really hope Brad keeps feeding him minutes even after Horford returns. He gives us a skill-set we don't otherwise have, and every time he's on the court he does good things. Put Theis farther down the bench and give Rob some of Baynes's minutes as well. He could develop into a real weapon as a defender against the East's long and athletic stars like Embiid and the Freak. If he can do a good job on Davis he likely could do the same on them, and we know we're going to see them in the playoffs.

« Reply #1565 on: December 13, 2018, 05:13:25 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Theis might be handier against bigs that don't like to leave the defensive paint, Theis is a pretty solid 3pt shooter.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1566 on: December 13, 2018, 06:36:34 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I agree. Reminds me of Dennis Rodman his rookie year.  He even trots up and down the court like Rodman, like a young colt prancing.  I love this kid.

And there it is. I've been racking my brain trying to describe a way he moves around the court. Prancing like a colt. Love it. TP Thanks.
#JKJB

« Reply #1567 on: December 13, 2018, 07:00:17 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

Theis might be handier against bigs that don't like to leave the defensive paint, Theis is a pretty solid 3pt shooter.
Agree. his physical really limit his defense , he really can't handle those good guards and bigs, plus he did foul too easy sometimes
If he can't take advantage on the outside shooting Williams is clear the better option

« Reply #1568 on: December 13, 2018, 08:43:42 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Theis' struggle has always been fouls. He fouls way too much. If he could figure that out, he might be a starter in this league next to a different high-level front court player.

Williams isn't fouling, which is huge for a young big man.

Everyone's theory on his ability is proving true -- at Texas AM, he was out of position and playing in a clogged offense. His length and quick jumping are elite in space in the NBA.

« Reply #1569 on: December 13, 2018, 09:39:54 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Need to be playing more without a doubt
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #1570 on: December 13, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

Theis' struggle has always been fouls. He fouls way too much. If he could figure that out, he might be a starter in this league next to a different high-level front court player.

Williams isn't fouling, which is huge for a young big man.

Everyone's theory on his ability is proving true -- at Texas AM, he was out of position and playing in a clogged offense. His length and quick jumping are elite in space in the NBA.
Two games Theis dominated this year are the Pistons and Bulls, no great guards or bigs(No i don't think Griffin+Drummond can be called great otherwise they will win more games)

Williams performed against Davis+Randle. Beal+Wall

Beal can't score past him and even though Wall had 3 basket on him it's one midrange pullup and two drives, all heavily contested, In OT Williams forced Wall to midrange pullup again and missed, without him our other players don't have a chance to even contest it

« Reply #1571 on: December 13, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Agree. his physical really limit his defense , he really can't handle those good guards and bigs, plus he did foul too easy sometimes
If he can't take advantage on the outside shooting Williams is clear the better option
Not sure I agree.  Isn't it better to stop a score with a foul than to be a turnstile?  Williams is a good 1-1 defender but has a lot to learn about team defense.

« Reply #1572 on: December 13, 2018, 11:22:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
And let's not forget, when Williams is in the game the team is basically playing 4 on 5. No one gets him the ball and no plays are called for him. He has shown nothing but an ability to dunk. Heck, even his screens are weak as he is always moving and doesn't set a hard screen.

Love the kid's potential but Baynes and Theis are better players and should get the minutes. Williams will get run when the other guys are hurt, and that's great. But with everyone healthy, he isn't ready to displace anyone yet. If Theis isn't back next year, and I expect he won't be, Williams will see regular minutes next year. He just needs to be a sponge and soak in the knowledge this year, little else.

And, once again, I love Williams and think he will be a stud in a couple years. But he isn't one now.

« Reply #1573 on: December 13, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
And let's not forget, when Williams is in the game the team is basically playing 4 on 5. No one gets him the ball and no plays are called for him. He has shown nothing but an ability to dunk. Heck, even his screens are weak as he is always moving and doesn't set a hard screen.

Love the kid's potential but Baynes and Theis are better players and should get the minutes. Williams will get run when the other guys are hurt, and that's great. But with everyone healthy, he isn't ready to displace anyone yet. If Theis isn't back next year, and I expect he won't be, Williams will see regular minutes next year. He just needs to be a sponge and soak in the knowledge this year, little else.

And, once again, I love Williams and think he will be a stud in a couple years. But he isn't one now.

I mean, I think Theis and Baynes are better options than Williams at this point in his career, but I think you went a bit far here.

Put-backs and alleyoops put pressure on a defense too. He has been scoring in his role, and doing it pretty well.

I also disagree about his picks. At times he doesn't hold the screen quite long enough, but that's because he is trying to roll for an alley-oop, which puts pressure on the defense in a different way.

« Reply #1574 on: December 13, 2018, 11:39:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I mean, I think Theis and Baynes are better options than Williams at this point in his career, but I think you went a bit far here.

Put-backs and alleyoops put pressure on a defense too. He has been scoring in his role, and doing it pretty well.

I also disagree about his picks. At times he doesn't hold the screen quite long enough, but that's because he is trying to roll for an alley-oop, which puts pressure on the defense in a different way.
I never claimed that Williams wouldn't be a better player than Baynes and Theis eventually. I said he would be a stud, which obviously Baynes and Theis aren't. But for right now Theis and Baynes are better, more complete players.

His screens are weak. He is super quick on his first step to the basket. He can still apply the same rim running pressure of much, much better screens. He isn't good at it now.

And I disagree about how much he adds to the offense except for his very occasional put back or alley oop. When he is out there, it's 4 on 5 on offense. And as I stated in the game thread, I think he could do more offensively but there are no plays being called for him and the playmakers are just not involving him like they do with Horford, Theis and Baynes in the three man game when they have people hanging out in corners. Maybe Williams just hasn't figured out the playbook yet?