Poll

Is Jason Terry a Hall of Famer?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Is Jason Terry a HOFer?  (Read 16273 times)

Re: Is Jason Terry a HOFer?
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2013, 02:09:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
By his career numbers, Vince Carter would be a fairly egregious ommisson. You can certainly argue that he should've/could've accomplished more with his NBA career, but that's about as idle a flight of fancy as the "what if Pop was our coach" thread.

The fact that he was probably the most electric dunker the league has ever seen doesn't hurt either.

If it's a hall of 'fame,' Vince Carter should make it. Vince Carter was 'famous.'
Vince had fame but a me-first attitude.   The biggest knock on him was too few years as a premier player.  coasted too many years to be considered great

Totally. That said, I'm an 80's baby. Vince Carter was SO COOL. HE DUNKS! HE DUNKS OVER SEVEN FOOT FRENCH DUDES! HE CATCHES LOBS ONE HANDED! HE DUNKS!

So, yeah, hall of fame lock. Sorry. Non-negotiable.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
LOL
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
By his career numbers, Vince Carter would be a fairly egregious ommisson. You can certainly argue that he should've/could've accomplished more with his NBA career, but that's about as idle a flight of fancy as the "what if Pop was our coach" thread.

The fact that he was probably the most electric dunker the league has ever seen doesn't hurt either.

If it's a hall of 'fame,' Vince Carter should make it. Vince Carter was 'famous.'
Vince had fame but a me-first attitude.   The biggest knock on him was too few years as a premier player.  coasted too many years to be considered great

Totally. That said, I'm an 80's baby. Vince Carter was SO COOL. HE DUNKS! HE DUNKS OVER SEVEN FOOT FRENCH DUDES! HE CATCHES LOBS ONE HANDED! HE DUNKS!

then I really pity your view of basketball if dunks are your definition of greatness.  Bird and Magic rarely dunked and are 2 of the greatest to ever play the game.  That's 80's basketball my "80's baby" friend.

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I never even stopped to consider this because he never, to me, ever showed he was HOF worthy, even in his best years. I will say he's probably better than a bunch of players in the HOF but under current, more restrictive qualifications needed to make it into the HOF, I don't see it.

« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

then I really pity your view of basketball if dunks are your definition of greatness.  Bird and Magic rarely dunked and are 2 of the greatest to ever play the game.  That's 80's basketball my "80's baby" friend.

... my tongue is thoroughly in my cheek. Is yours?

Dunks aren't my definition of greatness, but I stand by the sentiment that Vince Carter is/was probably the greatest dunker the league has ever seen.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

... my tongue is thoroughly in my cheek. Is yours?

Dunks aren't my definition of greatness, but I stand by the sentiment that Vince Carter is/was probably the greatest dunker the league has ever seen.
tongue not in cheek.  didn't interpret your post to be the same.

anyway, best dunker I've seen was Dominique Wilkins.  Carter's had his entertaining moments but Dominique was named the 'human highlight film' for a reason.

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2013, 04:51:15 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
He belongs in the "Hall of Very Good", but he's not a HOFer.

At the same time, Terry's career numbers are very similar to Jo Jo White's.  As a hypocritical homer, I'd vote White in, and leave Terry out.

I looked up Terry's career numbers compared to JoJo White's up through age 34 (when White retired) and they are REMARKABLY similar:

Per 36 min -
Terry:  17.3ppg, 5.0apg, 2.9rpg, 44.8% fg
White:  17.3ppg, 4.9apg, 4.0rpg, 44.4% fg

Wow.  Don't get much closer than that!  Terry has higher cumulative stats due to more games played

Big differences - JoJo was a 21.5ppg scorer over his playoff career (80 games), 2x champ, a Finals MVP, 7x all-star, 2x all-nba second team.  Aside from being a 1x champ, Terry owns none of those other accolades.

JoJo is considerably more deserving than Terry and not in.  Terry's chances are almost 0 to me.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

At the same time, Terry's career numbers are very similar to Jo Jo White's.  As a hypocritical homer, I'd vote White in, and leave Terry out.

I looked up Terry's career numbers compared to JoJo White's up through age 34 (when White retired) and they are REMARKABLY similar:

Per 36 min -

Wow.  Don't get much closer than that!  Terry has higher cumulative stats due to more games played

Big differences - JoJo was a 21.5ppg scorer over his playoff career (80 games), 2x champ, a Finals MVP, 7x all-star, 2x all-nba second team.  Aside from being a 1x champ, Terry owns none of those other accolades.

JoJo is considerably more deserving than Terry and not in.  Terry's chances are almost 0 to me.
I can't believe JoJo is not in but by the same token I can't believe players like KC Jones are in. Makes no sense.

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2013, 05:47:23 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
nah i dont think jet should be a hall of famer. maybe if he was in an earlier era u could make a case for him, but as time goes on, its gonna be harder and harder to get into the hall of fame, cuz once u talk about the hall of fame, ur not talkin just about you vs. the current nba era. at that point ur talkin about you vs. the current nba era AND all the players who are already in the hall of fame. terry is known for scoring. the hall of fame is already full of scorers who were better than terry.

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2013, 05:49:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

Per 36 min -

I can't believe JoJo is not in but by the same token I can't believe players like KC Jones are in. Makes no sense.

JoJo was my favorite player, so i am biased about him as a HoFer but my memory is that he had a string of maybe 5-7  strong years (I checked -- 7 years greater than 18 ppg), and probably misses out due to lack of longevity. His strong years were strong, not dominant.  JoJo may get in some day.   

Terry had 3 years over 18 ppg.  He's had a lot of solid offensive years, but nothing spectacular.  Grant Hill and Jamal Crawdford are more deserving than Terry (just to name 2) and they're borderline.

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2013, 05:59:10 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not even close. How many all star appearances does he have? He is an offense guy who would need to regularly be a league leader in scoring to have a shot. Dude never even scored 20 PPG. What else does he do?

A score only guy who just made is is Bernard King. Compare their stats. Terry isn't even borderline.

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Terry isn't close.

Jo Jo with 7 all-star apperences, 2 championships, 1 finals MVP and 2 2nd team all-NBA appereances and a gold medal in 68 should be in. I'd have put JoJo in over Calvin Murphy.

Here's a question, who deserves to be in from this era, say 93-13.

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
If we win the chip and he actually contributes more than talking, yes. Right now, I don't know, isn't it pretty hard to get in?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2013, 06:51:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Terry isn't close.

Jo Jo with 7 all-star apperences, 2 championships, 1 finals MVP and 2 2nd team all-NBA appereances and a gold medal in 68 should be in. I'd have put JoJo in over Calvin Murphy.

Here's a question, who deserves to be in from this era, say 93-13.
LOCKS
Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, Lebron, Wade, Dirk, Kidd, Iverson, Payton, Pierce, Pau

MOST LIKELY IN
Allen, Carter, Nash, Webber, Carmelo, Bosh, B. Wallace, Hill

LOCKS WITH MORE YEARS OF SIMILAR PLAY
Howard, Durant, Paul, Rose, Rondo, Westbrook, Love
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip