Author Topic: "Celtics Core Players Are Absolutely Not Available" - Windhorst  (Read 9791 times)

Re: "Celtics Core Players Are Absolutely Not Available" - Windhorst
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2019, 05:13:47 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think it would be short-sighted to trade for an "upgrade" at C before the week of the trade deadline.

Mostly because it limits the amount of minutes that would be available to Timelord. In theory, as CptZoogs mentioned, Timelord could feasibly progress to the point where he is comparable to whatever we'd get as an "upgrade" at C.
Thing is, this team might be ready to compete right now. I don't trust any of our current Centers to play big minutes in the playoffs this season. Do you trust them?

Timelord is playing about 15 mins per game right now. I see no reason why he couldn't be playing the same minutes after a hypothetical upgrade at the C position.

No I don’t trust them right now.

All I’m saying is that the C’s should only think about making a trade in February (3 months from now)— after they’ve given Williams every opportunity to show and make substantial improvement.

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2019, 05:29:06 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
The CS have to decide whether they are contenders this year or just in the process of retooling.  We should know by early 2020, after Hayward returns, where they are.  If a game changing big becomes available and they are a contender, and everyone is healthy, the Cs have the Memphis pick and could match contracts.

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2019, 05:52:12 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
No I don’t trust them right now.

All I’m saying is that the C’s should only think about making a trade in February (3 months from now)— after they’ve given Williams every opportunity to show and make substantial improvement.
Fair enough. No one is saying we should make a trade right now anyway. It's not just about giving Williams a chance to prove his worth. It's mostly about negotiating the best possible deal.  Teams have crazy demands early in the trade season hoping for a desperate GM to make a desperate trade offer. It's when we approach the deadline that everyone finally lays their cards on the table.

The CS have to decide whether they are contenders this year or just in the process of retooling.  We should know by early 2020, after Hayward returns, where they are.  If a game changing big becomes available and they are a contender, and everyone is healthy, the Cs have the Memphis pick and could match contracts.
''If a game changing big becomes available'', chances are that we'd have to use one of our core guys in order to match salaries. That's the question right there: Would it be worth it to sacrifice one of our core guys in order to upgrade the 5 position?

Obviously, it depends on the return. Personally speaking, I'd probably do it for Turner. On second thought, I probably wouldn't do it for Sabonis. ETNCeltics is right. Sabonis is a talented player, but he would be a bad fit next to the rest of our starters. If you ask me, the same goes for Thomas Bryant as well (tonydelk mentioned him). I like his game, I don't like the fit next to Tatum-Hayward.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 06:14:57 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2019, 02:57:39 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If Minnesota was willing to trade Karl Anthony Towns, I'd say...who do you want?

Agreed. Towns is one guy I'd inquire about (worse that happens is Minny says no.)

Another guy I'd be interested in is Steven Adams.

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2019, 04:06:54 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Noah's still out there. He gave Memphis good minutes last year and he wouldn't cost any assets.

^this

Our center by committee is shaping up nicely, I don’t see any reason to shake that up w Maybe a Marginal upgrade. Perhaps just add to the menagerie for a usable vet at the deadline. Noah could add nicely to the mix.

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2019, 04:30:23 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
If Minnesota was willing to trade Karl Anthony Towns, I'd say...who do you want?

Agreed. Towns is one guy I'd inquire about (worse that happens is Minny says no.)

I have been thinking the same way, and that's one on the reasons I've watched KAT this year a bit.

He looks like a miserable teammate to play with. His body language is absolutely terrible. Something about it seems like entitlement and arrogance.

We just came out of having a high-level talent with a questionable personality. I'd rather not have that again.

Besides, I'm starting to think we can win ... this year ... without any additions.

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2019, 04:38:05 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Even if Towns was available (I seriously doubt he is), we aren't going to get him without trading a player like Tatum.  And because of salary, a lot more would have to be added to the package.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2019, 04:52:39 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I wish Brad would have a little longer leash with RW. He got 9 minutes last night. He last 30 minutes last 3 games. The only time Brad has a quicker hook is when one of his stars heats up.

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I don't buy that.  They aren't being shopped or actively on the block, but there is no way Ainge wouldn't make a move to acquire a real legit star and would use any number of said players to make it happen.  Like if Towns became available.  Ainge would put a whole lot on the table to get him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2019, 05:38:18 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I don't buy that.  They aren't being shopped or actively on the block, but there is no way Ainge wouldn't make a move to acquire a real legit star and would use any number of said players to make it happen.  Like if Towns became available.  Ainge would put a whole lot on the table to get him.

Maybe. I think Ainge might be more careful with personalities moving forward. Prickly ones are ok, but they have to be winners.

I also think we are pretty close to being contenders, if we aren't ones already. Combine that with the fact that we are the least experienced team in the NBA (look it up), and with a little development by the end of the season, it is reasonable to think we might be contenders. You don't mess too much with your team if you feel you are a contender.

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2019, 05:48:18 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

Maybe. I think Ainge might be more careful with personalities moving forward. Prickly ones are ok, but they have to be winners.

I also think we are pretty close to being contenders, if we aren't ones already. Combine that with the fact that we are the least experienced team in the NBA (look it up), and with a little development by the end of the season, it is reasonable to think we might be contenders. You don't mess too much with your team if you feel you are a contender.

We should stay the course and we have a good shot at being the next Warriors dynasty. No need to shake things up for media binkies. We have underrated/emerging players who are good enough to get it done already.

Regarding KAT he is not a winner at all. He is a bad defender and a stat-hunter who doesn't make his teammates better. Heard an NBA insider on the radio last year talking about how he wasn't a great teammate and how he's not a particularly good person, either.

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I have been thinking the same way, and that's one on the reasons I've watched KAT this year a bit.

He looks like a miserable teammate to play with. His body language is absolutely terrible. Something about it seems like entitlement and arrogance.

We just came out of having a high-level talent with a questionable personality. I'd rather not have that again.

Besides, I'm starting to think we can win ... this year ... without any additions.

The flip side to that coin is Towns is playing for the Timberwolves, not exactly the most stable of franchises. It’s possible that playing for such a lousy franchise drags down morale, not to mention the arena is probably half empty every night.

If he came to Boston in front of packed crowds every night and played for a better franchise, KAT would become re-energized. Not saying Towns is as good or as special, but it reminds me of another big man we acquired from Minny.

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2019, 06:13:49 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't see any big moves being made. If anything, maybe they make an addition from the buyout market.

But any move for a center like an Adams or Capela will basically require us to deal Smart, and/or probably Hayward in some trade. I don't know how much we're under the luxury tax, but it's not by much and we're trying to stay under it I imagine (for this season).

And keep in mind, Towns' extension just kicked in, which is about 5/160M (27M this season). So it's not like we'd get him on a rookie contract.

And I just don't see how dealing Kanter and Langford, another player + picks in a package for a big man makes us that much better? Maybe I'm higher on Kanter than others, but isn't the goal to improve AND deepen our team (give it good depth)? I could understand if you did say, Kanter + another player + picks for someone like KAT, but for Adams? Eh...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 06:28:39 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2019, 06:28:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I don't see any big moves being made. If anything, maybe they make an addition from the buyout market.

I don't either.  Our core team (kemba, smart, brown, tatum, hayward) hasn't played together that many games but we have played really well.

With the Celtics good start to the season, 10 game win streak, super competitive with teams that are seen as contenders, overall good play without having everyone available, and mostly important good chemistry building I don't see DA wanting to fix anything until it is obviously a fatal flaw for the team.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:35:52 PM by blink »

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2019, 06:28:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

We should stay the course and we have a good shot at being the next Warriors dynasty. No need to shake things up for media binkies. We have underrated/emerging players who are good enough to get it done already.

Regarding KAT he is not a winner at all. He is a bad defender and a stat-hunter who doesn't make his teammates better. Heard an NBA insider on the radio last year talking about how he wasn't a great teammate and how he's not a particularly good person, either.

Just curious...who is this “NBA insider” and how does he know that Towns is a bad guy? And if he’s such a bad guy, why did Minnesota just give him a $160 mil extension?