Author Topic: "Celtics Core Players Are Absolutely Not Available" - Windhorst  (Read 9785 times)

Re: "Celtics Core Players Are Absolutely Not Available" - Windhorst
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think it would be short-sighted to trade for an "upgrade" at C before the week of the trade deadline.

Mostly because it limits the amount of minutes that would be available to Timelord. In theory, as CptZoogs mentioned, Timelord could feasibly progress to the point where he is comparable to whatever we'd get as an "upgrade" at C.

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 04:08:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I would love us to go after Turner/Sabonis/Bitadze (whomever becomes available).

Do you guys think we could trade for Turner/Sabonis without sacrificing one of our big 4?

You could get one with Smart most likely, unless he’s in your big 4 (I have a core 5, so I don’t know who your four are).  You would be foolish to make such a trade.

I don't think you would need Smart to get Bitadze.  Though if we were that interested, we could have just chosen him over Romeo.

Someone mentioned Cauley-Stein earlier and I think that could be very manageable.  Maybe long-time board favorite Nerlens Noel as well.

He asked about a “Big 4” player for Turner or Sabonis, not Bitadze.

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 04:09:42 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I think it would be short-sighted to trade for an "upgrade" at C before the week of the trade deadline.

Mostly because it limits the amount of minutes that would be available to Timelord. In theory, as CptZoogs mentioned, Timelord could feasibly progress to the point where he is comparable to whatever we'd get as an "upgrade" at C.
Thing is, this team might be ready to compete right now. I don't trust any of our current Centers to play big minutes in the playoffs this season. Do you trust them?

Timelord is playing about 15 mins per game right now. I see no reason why he couldn't be playing the same minutes after a hypothetical upgrade at the C position.

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 04:10:49 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
I would love us to go after Turner/Sabonis/Bitadze (whomever becomes available).

Do you guys think we could trade for Turner/Sabonis without sacrificing one of our big 4?

The Pacers, being an Eastern Conference rival, are going to play hard ball with us and other Eastern Conference contenders unless the package they receive is clearly better.

They won't keep Turner and Sabonis for too much longer, but they're not going to give them away to a rival unless we pony up. With our picks, we might be able to get them a player that fills one of their needs in a 3 team or, perhaps, Romeo (an Indiana native that has a high upside (I would avoid this because I think he's the goods).

One of those 2 are clear upgrades (not worth one of our core 5 (and Marcus is part of the core of this team)) and another name seemingly out of left field that I'm going to toss out there is Aaron Gordon. I think that he would be a great small ball 5 and playing in this system would unlock his potential on both ends.

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 04:11:06 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
This just in: top NBA team isn’t interested in making themselves worse.

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 04:17:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why would they be?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 04:17:25 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

You could get one with Smart most likely, unless he’s in your big 4 (I have a core 5, so I don’t know who your four are).  You would be foolish to make such a trade.

I don't think you would need Smart to get Bitadze.  Though if we were that interested, we could have just chosen him over Romeo.

Someone mentioned Cauley-Stein earlier and I think that could be very manageable.  Maybe long-time board favorite Nerlens Noel as well.

He asked about a “Big 4” player for Turner or Sabonis, not Bitadze.

You’re correct.  My mistake.  I misread and thought he was included in both the first and second part of the post.

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 04:19:02 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

The Pacers, being an Eastern Conference rival, are going to play hard ball with us and other Eastern Conference contenders unless the package they receive is clearly better.

They won't keep Turner and Sabonis for too much longer, but they're not going to give them away to a rival unless we pony up. With our picks, we might be able to get them a player that fills one of their needs in a 3 team or, perhaps, Romeo (an Indiana native that has a high upside (I would avoid this because I think he's the goods).

One of those 2 are clear upgrades (not worth one of our core 5 (and Marcus is part of the core of this team)) and another name seemingly out of left field that I'm going to toss out there is Aaron Gordon. I think that he would be a great small ball 5 and playing in this system would unlock his potential on both ends.

Can Sabonis even be traded this year?

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 04:28:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
This is as it should be.  The C's could not get anything back in value that would be equal or greater then Smart or Hayward.
How about Smart + Hayward for Brogdon + Turner?

Feel free to add pick(s) either way if necessary.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7248500
oh good lord no.

right now, Hayward is clearly the best player in the deal and one could argue Smart may be the second best.  even if you consider Smart the 'worst' player in that deal, he's barely behind either Brogdon or Turner.

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 04:29:44 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

You mean like when we traded with the Cavs for Kyrie? :P

Aaron Gordon of the Magic? Don't know about that. At the end of the day, he's 6′7.5” with a 6′11.75” wingspan and a 8′9” standing reach. He'd be a mismatch waiting to happen at the 5.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 04:50:09 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 04:37:23 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
This is as it should be.  The C's could not get anything back in value that would be equal or greater then Smart or Hayward.

I would love the C's to go after Thomas Bryant.  He was just out of the C's price range  when he resigned with Washington.  Kanter/Theis and Semi and a 1st.  Not sure if they view Bryant as part of the core but he's a great fit on the C's, good defender, rebounder can hit 3's and a good passer out of the post.  If he'd be available he's signed for 3 years and is young.  He didn't get a lot on the market but he's playing well so I'd doubt he'd get moved.

Other options could be Looney from GSW.  They are in a rebuild year while their stars get healthy.  There really isn't much out there that would move the needle for the C's.  Hopefully timelord can develop enough to split the time with Theis.  Otherwise they C's need to draft their bigs.
Looney said when he hit FA, the Celtics never even called. If they weren't interested then, why would they be now? Theis and TL have probably performed better than most of us anticipated, and Looney hasn't performed at all. Seems very unlikely.

Really, everyone seems very unlikely other than some vet we pluck off the end of someone's bench or off the street. Anyone good would cost us one of our big 5, and I can't see Ainge doing that unless a Kyrie situation opens up.

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2019, 04:58:24 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Even if we could trade for Sabonis, he doesn't fit what we want most. He's not an elite defender, not a rim protector.

Turner is the shot blocker we all wish we had, but IMO, no way Ainge should or will pay the price. Turner is good but not great offensively, other than a nice 3 pt shot he's developing. But he isn't a commensurate talent compared to our big 4, and we can talk about it all day, Danny Ainge will never, ever trade Marcus Smart. Smart is the Celtics, the heart of the team, and I think Ainge looks at him as the heart of not just the roster, but the entire organization. 

I just can't see anyone out there available who might be worth the price. KAT obviously, but the price for him will be almost as steep as AD, and probably totally unavailable anytime soon.

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 05:02:27 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Noah's still out there. He gave Memphis good minutes last year and he wouldn't cost any assets.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2019, 05:10:01 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
If Minnesota was willing to trade Karl Anthony Towns, I'd say...who do you want?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2019, 05:13:11 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Bogut said he's available.